Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
Nessy
Nessy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo Glo: Huge Setup Headache!!!!

Just bought my very first ereader - the Kobo Glo. Having done quite a bit of research online there seemed to be good and bad things about every single eReader out there - but Kobo Glo it was!

My problem is this: I've followed the instructions step by step but when it comes to setting up the eReader, every time it's nearly done it just stops and says "something is wrong with my internet connection"....which isnt right since I've just been so fortunate to join this site! I'm doing the setup by using my computer - not the Wifi option. Am just so eager to try out my Kobo but has been banging my head against the wall for hours...any help to find here??
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Probably not related but try disabling antivirus and firewall.
Deleting temp files is also a good idea.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
An idea before some of the guys come along to help.

Have you tried uninstalling the desktop app and reinstalling. Make sure you restart your computer in between.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Make sure your network (I'm assuming it's your home network) doesn't also use a whitelist of allowed devices to connect to it. It's so seldom I have to change anything in my network settings that I totally forgot I had set mine up to allow only those MAC addresses that I have listed and nothing else and I had the same problems about the Glo not connecting until I checked the router/modem settings for the wireless. Once I added the new MAC address for the Glo (you can find it in the settings on the Glo under Device Information), I had no more problems with it connecting.

If your network has a similar setting, you'll first have to add the Kobo Glo to the settings to allow it to connect.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
BookBunny
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏'\(⊙ ヮ⊙ )
BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Glo™
Probably doesn't work but you could try:

1) go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center
2) click the active internet connection
3) properties
4) sharing
5) tick first box
BookBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Tiff_Tiger
Tiff_Tiger began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I have the same problem, then I forget that the setup on the Glo is different to the Touch if setting up over WiFi.

If you are setting up over WiFi, check that you in the right time zone by inputting your capital, like London, for instance.
Tiff_Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Nessy
Nessy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Well.....I tried installing and reinstalling the Kobo Desktop but that didnt work...lost hope and turned it off. But then I thought why not try and set it up via wifi...and it worked! Have no idea how or why but there it is
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Could you have some firewall setting or AV setting that is preventing Kobo Desktop from completing the download and setup?

Glad you've got it working now with wifi at least.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote