Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #331
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Get a room, you three!
Come on, admit it. You want a taste too.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #332
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings99 View Post
Am sad to put my 650 away on the bookshelf with it's predecessors the 'paperbooks' but it'll be in good company & no doubt it'll be brought out from time to time, especially when travelling. It's been with me 2 years & done me while. Maybe I should have a retirement party for it.
No, don't do that! Lend it to a reading friend who hasn't yet discovered the joys of ebooks, and you'll have a convert

On a more serious note: Is the sharper screen alone worth the upgrade from a 650? I'm using my trusty old 650 as well, about two years in. I like buying new stuff (well, I don't particularly like *paying* for it, but whatever), but the 650 does what it does so well that the only compelling reason for an upgrade would be a significantly crisper screen. Without having seen the supposedly superior PRS-T2, I'm very happy with the 650 as is. I have not had the ghosting issue I've seen people complain about.

I don't really need the WiFi or social features of the PRS-T2, I almost exclusively read epub novels on my reader. Onenote looks nice, on the other hand I don't even have a Facebook account. My battery life is down to about a week of usage (from more than two weeks when new), but that really isn't an issue. Imagine that Sony made a device (650) that's so good it precludes upgrading to a newer model... Could anyone supply other compelling excuses for upgrading?

Last edited by Man Eating Duck; 09-02-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #333
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
engadget did a review which said there was some ghosting with the ereader: http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/28/s...prs-t2-review/ can anyone who has it confirm?
There IS ghosting. I don't own the unit but I played with it for quite a while in a store. The ghosting is the same as on the T1. Nothing's changed in that regard.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:57 AM   #334
wings99
wings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animalswings99 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Eating Duck View Post
No, don't do that! Lend it to a reading friend who hasn't yet discovered the joys of ebooks, and you'll have a convert

On a more serious note: Is the sharper screen alone worth the upgrade from a 650? I'm using my trusty old 650 as well, about two years in. I like buying new stuff (well, I don't particularly like *paying* for it, but whatever), but the 650 does what it does so well that the only compelling reason for an upgrade would be a significantly crisper screen. Without having seen the supposedly superior PRS-T2, I'm very happy with the 650 as is. I have not had the ghosting issue I've seen people complain about.

I don't really need the WiFi or social features of the PRS-T2, I almost exclusively read epub novels on my reader. Onenote looks nice, on the other hand I don't even have a Facebook account. My battery life is down to about a week of usage (from more than two weeks when new), but that really isn't an issue. Imagine that Sony made a device (650) that's so good it precludes upgrading to a newer model... Could anyone supply other compelling excuses for upgrading?
I don't think there's much chance of it being retired, Mum has her eye on it. That didn't take long!
Yes, for me it is worth the upgrade. It's quicker & I think it's smoother. I don't use the social functions on it, but the access to my State library via wifi is pretty useful, when I'm in Macdonalds or my local cafe that has wifi, not sure if it'll work when travelling out of my home state, can't see why not.
I love my 650, but looks like Mum will 'acquire' it. Another convert
Happy thinking. Hope you can find someone to buy it for you
wings99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #335
kranenborg
kranenborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kranenborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kranenborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kranenborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kranenborg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-650 (silver)
Hi Man Eating ...

Whether or not to exchange the PRS-650 for a new PRS-T2 may depend also on whether you already installed PRS+ on the PRS-650. If not I would strongly recommend to do so (I installed the latest 2.1.x alpha version) and then after a while ask yourself again whether you would want to part from the reader. My experiences with PRS+ on a PRS-650 are extremely positive (it gives you a very large amount of finetuning possibilities to your personal preferences, aside from several new applications or application extensions as well) and from the first video reviews I get the impression that the PRS-650 handles PDFs faster than a T2 (and PRS+ has added functionality to pdf viewing in zoom-lock mode). This might be related with the fact that Montevista Linux as used on the PRS-650 is a well-developed environment with a long track record, I think

BR
Jurjen

Last edited by kranenborg; 09-03-2012 at 06:58 AM.
kranenborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #336
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
engadget did a review which said there was some ghosting with the ereader: http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/28/s...prs-t2-review/ can anyone who has it confirm?
There's no ghosting (that I noticed) after a full page refresh. You can turn on "refresh after each page turn" in the Settings.

P.S. In some cases, like going from sleep screen directly into a book, a full-page refresh isn't automatic, so there may be some ghosting depending on how dark your sleep screen image is. When this happens, turning the page will clear it. This is the same as the T1.

Last edited by pssquirrel; 09-03-2012 at 10:32 AM.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #337
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
@wings99: Thanks, I'd better check out the screen in a shop, maybe I'll upgrade. On a side note it's somehow very pleasing to me that your 650 won't sit unused on your shelf If I decide to go for a PRS-T2 mine will certainly be given to someone that'll use it.

@kranenborg: Incidentally I installed PRS+ last night, just before writing my previous post. It looks promising, but don't really add all that much for me. As I'm proficient at making epubs (it's actually part of my job description) I routinely tweak my books so that they fit my preferences. I'm however embarrassed, as a Linux-head, that after all this time I didn't know that Montevista Linux was driving my reader. Thanks for that tidbit!

Thanks a lot to you both for your replies
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #338
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
What do you guys do for covers for these new plastic readers? I assume you need one of those fugly ones that holds the readers by all four corners? Why didn't Sony stick with the *50 design with the top/bottom fitted cover. Nice and compact yet effective.

There are also no volume buttons for those times you forget your iPod and use the reader for tuning out loud talkers around you. I'm keeping the 650. The screen is probably improved but the 650 screen works perfectly fine still.

Software wise, even in that Russian review changing the font type looked so clunky where on the Nook it is so smooth. I was pleasantly surprised by the Nook when I looked at it recently. I doubt Sony will ever get the software right.

Last edited by fafaforza; 09-03-2012 at 09:28 PM.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #339
palo
Enthusiast
palo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
...the navigation of the library very slow?

EDIT: I have 2601 books on the SD card.
When I had my PRS 650 I found the speed of the reader very slow when using the SD card - I transfered my books to the internal memory and the speed difference was huge - I don't know how much space your books take up, but I'd suggest transferring a hundred or so the the internal memory and removing the SD card and see if you notice a difference.

I have a T2 now and have over 400 books in the internal memory and no card and no issues with the speed of loading books or navigating the library etc

p
palo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:45 AM   #340
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafaforza View Post
What do you guys do for covers for these new plastic readers? I assume you need one of those fugly ones that holds the readers by all four corners? Why didn't Sony stick with the *50 design with the top/bottom fitted cover. Nice and compact yet effective.
You might assume that there are only 4 corner covers available for the T1 and T2, but you will find covers such as below, or a similar Proporta one, if you look about.

http://www.geckocovers.com/sony-read...ion-cover.html

From what I have read the T1 covers will fit a T2, but give it a bit of time and Gecko and Proporta et al will release T2 specific covers.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #341
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by palo View Post
When I had my PRS 650 I found the speed of the reader very slow when using the SD card - I transfered my books to the internal memory and the speed difference was huge - I don't know how much space your books take up, but I'd suggest transferring a hundred or so the the internal memory and removing the SD card and see if you notice a difference.

I have a T2 now and have over 400 books in the internal memory and no card and no issues with the speed of loading books or navigating the library etc

p
Actually all I needed to do was reformat the SD card using the Sony. Now it works fine.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #342
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
I bought my T1 specific case from Amazon, not long after the T1 was released. It's the first time I've not bought the Tuff-luv offering, and was chosen because Tuff-luv had dropped the 'A stand' thats long been a feature of their reader cases and had moved away from the real leather cases (I'm not a great lover of the smell of sackcloth). It was an added bonus that it was substantially cheaper than the Tuff-luv offering as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-04135427.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	91813
(Click to enlarge)

The case itself closes by use of an elasticated band, similar to a Moleskine notepad.

Name:	2012-09-04135435.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	91814
(Click to enlarge)

As I mentioned earlier, I cut a hole on the righthand side of the case to allow me to fit the light between the case and the reader.

Name:	2012-09-04135502.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	91815
(Click to enlarge)

Thus allowing myself to use the light in my preffered position of the right.

Name:	2012-09-04135539.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	91816
(Click to enlarge)

No point in my trying to take a picture of the illumination, as it's bright sunlight here

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-04-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Changed oversized graphics to attached thumbnails.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #343
e-ink
partly refreshed
e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: It's a Sony :P prs-t1
With the latest release of the Kobo Glo and Kindle Paperwhite (both XGA resolution and light, Kindle even with 3G) the T2 looks so poor.

What have you done Sony? Zero innovation, but stepping backwards by removing audio.
e-ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #344
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Sony has really dropped the ball this time. I don't think the $129 price tag is justified. I was really hoping for front lit and hi-res from sony's offerings. I really like what they've done with the kindle paper white. I'm just not a fan of amazon's eco-system and prefer e-pub.
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #345
e-ink
partly refreshed
e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: It's a Sony :P prs-t1
I neither agree with amazon's eco-system. So the rooted T1 (T2 will hopefully follow soon) is still the #1 choice regarding freedom and control over your device.

But speaking about Sony hardware innovations... oh lord
e-ink is offline   Reply With Quote