Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #10576
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Insects are animals in British English too. They certainly are scientifically.

But it seems that an insect isn't the answer we're looking for.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #10577
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Oh. In German, insects are animals too! Very small ones indeed, but animals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Insects are animals in British English too. They certainly are scientifically.

But it seems that an insect isn't the answer we're looking for.

As I said previously,
correct Kingdom, wrong Phylum and class.

Kindom - Animalia
Phylum - Arthropoda
Class - Insecta

Technically 'animalia' but rarely thought of as animals. More common to think of them as 'insects' or 'bugs.'

Your mosquitoes, gnats, and midges will only bite to feed, not for pleasure. The original question stated: This animal, even when healthy, will attack, with intent to kill, any other living creature regardless of size. It will do just just because it does not work or play well with others, rather then only for food as most other animals do.

The animal that will attack an elephant is in
Kingdom - Animalia
Phylum - Chordata
Class - Mammalia

If I told you the Order, it would give away too much!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #10578
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
OK... A Natural History question to start the week...

There is only one animal (no, not human,) that is known to attack a full grown healthy adult elephant. This same animal will attack a human without provocation. Name this creature.

Stitchawl
That would be a human. We'll attack anything with little reason.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #10579
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
A hyena? (should that be 'an'?).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #10580
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
That would be a human. We'll attack anything with little reason.
Right... except for the part where I said:
There is only one animal (no, not human,) that is known to attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
A hyena? (should that be 'an'?).
"A" hyena is correct...US grammar. Unfortunately, incorrect answer.

Think 'smaller.' And vicious. So vicious we even use the name of this critter to mean 'small and vicious!'
It's my bed time, and I need my beauty sleep, so I'll check new answers in about 8 hours. 9 if I want to risk getting dangerously beautiful.

Stitchawl
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #10581
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Don't sleep for too long Stitchy. I don't think the world could take it...

A terrier?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #10582
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
badger?
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #10583
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
badger?
That's what I was going to say.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #10584
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
The shrew?
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #10585
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Frankly, I'm surprised that no one tried with 'wolverine.' That was always my first choice for 'nasty animal.' Badger isn't far behind.

But the #1 spot for the king and queen of nasty, vicious, get off my lawn or I'll kill ya, what the heck I'll kill ya anyway, animals is.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
The shrew?

Close enough! It's actually even smaller. It's the Pigmy Shrew! Too small to even get it's mouth open wide enough to bite your finger, the Pigmy Shrew will attack anything near it. It will do so for any reason. For food of course, which it must have at least every 15-20 minutes (it must eat 3x its body weight every day just to stay alive. Sleeping for more than an hour can kill it,) but it will attack any creature that comes near it even if it has already just fed. The size of the creature doesn't matter. It will still attack. In many ways this reminds me of my first wife, except her name wasn't Kate.

Take it away, Shayne!

Stitchawl
Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #10586
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guessed it purely because of the name's meaning. We don't have shrews in New Zealand, and it sounds as if that's a good thing!

This one is probably a giveaway for Stitchy, but here we go: what and where are the most northerly and southerly naturally-growing palm trees? A point each for names (common or scientific), countries, and latitudes to the nearest degree.

---
Hmm, looks as if I drove everyone away with this. Let me modify the question a little:

Where are the most northerly and southerly naturally-growing palm trees found? A point each for countries and for latitudes to the nearest five degrees.

If you close in on parts of the world, you can find the countries with a few yes/no questions.

Last edited by Shayne Parkinson; 01-15-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #10587
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
I guessed it purely because of the name's meaning. We don't have shrews in New Zealand, and it sounds as if that's a good thing!

This one is probably a giveaway for Stitchy, but here we go: what and where are the most northerly and southerly naturally-growing palm trees? A point each for names (common or scientific), countries, and latitudes to the nearest degree.
While I know the trees, and have eaten both from them and of them, I have absolutely no idea of exact latitudes, only general areas. But as I just gave a question, I will bow out of this one.

Stitchawl
Old 01-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #10588
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Question modified (see above) to become less esoteric.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #10589
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I know we have palm trees in Sweden's most southern town, Trelleborg.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #10590
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I know we have palm trees in Sweden's most southern town, Trelleborg.
Culitvated palms have a surprisingly large range. But I'm after naturally occurring, native to the area, which is a smaller range.