Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Nook Color? I wish

Is the upcoming Nook a color e-reader? Barnes & Noble doesn't comment on rumors, but CNET has been in communication with a source who says the company will unveil a new Android-based full-color touch-screen e-reader next Tuesday, October 26.

Read more here
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Have fun chasing rumors.

Would you like a dowsing stick to help you figure out which rumors are true and which are false?
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This one is plausible, given that the existing Nooks are clearly not going away (in fact, expanding to Walmart stores).

I expect the Nook Color, if it exists, to have a more or less standard LCD screen.

There have been bad ebook readers with this configuration, but a relatively low-end 7" Android tablet is a very good fit to B&N's existing Nook software base. It is all about the software, I expect the Pocketbook IQ to be significantly better than the Pandigital Novel for example.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
For me, I still need e-ink for long-term reading. I have a Kindle, and an iPad already. If I get a replacement e-ink reader, it will be a new Kindle.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
If this is true, glad I didn't wait and bought a K3, I am one of those that gets sore eyes from LCD screens.

That said, considering how so many people seem to want their K3 to be a mini-iPad and not just an e-reader, this will probably be a success.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 02:06 AM   #6
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
If you can load Kindle4Android on it wouldn't that mean you have access to all major publishing formats?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:51 AM   #7
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I don't understand why people want colour readers... It'll only be the cover that's in colour... A paper/hardback novel reads in black on white.

How much time do you spend on looking at the cover?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:20 AM   #8
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
@lene1949:
I am one of those wishing for colour eInk.
I'm reading, amongst fiction, astronomy formulae books and other technical books. Technical codes, formulaes and (multi line) graphs do stand out if in colour.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
They might do it but it won't be eInk
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
If it is lcd - I'm not interested. If they come out with a mirasol, I admit I'm going to be awfully tempted even though I have very little use for a color eReader. Just the geek in me says "new.new.new.new.new.I.want!"

I don't read magazines, manga, or comic books. Maybe I'll have to start.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
If it is lcd - I'm not interested. If they come out with a mirasol, I admit I'm going to be awfully tempted even though I have very little use for a color eReader. Just the geek in me says "new.new.new.new.new.I.want!"

I don't read magazines, manga, or comic books. Maybe I'll have to start.
I would think it would be LCD.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I think the color unit makes sense from a couple of perspectives.

1. If reports are to be believed, at least for the next 5-6 months, Pearl screens are going to be limited to Amazon and Sony readers. It wouldn't make sense for B&N to bring out a Nook 2 with a vizplex screen -- particularly if Nook Firmware 1.5 really increases the page turn rate and if it has a positive impact on the battery.

2. The existing color LCD readers generally leave something to be desired. I have yet to read a particularly positive review of any of them. If B&N and Pocketbook implement their units more effectively, with a decent touch screen, wifi and enough horse power to use for other multimedia, they could become something of a poor man's iPhone.

3. Some people just want color screens on their readers. To people who primarily read fiction, it might not make much sense, but to fans of graphic novels...

4. Frankly, I think it is probably in B&N's interest to get as many devices with their book store as possible out there.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #13
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
And don't forget that a color Nook would make the current Kindle suddenly look obsolete. Even if the Kindle had superior features.
Consumers can be so shallow sometimes.
Barnes and Noble have been playing "catch-up" to Amazon for some time now. This could be a ploy to gain the initiative.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
And don't forget that a color Nook would make the current Kindle suddenly look obsolete. Even if the Kindle had superior features.
Consumers can be so shallow sometimes.
Barnes and Noble have been playing "catch-up" to Amazon for some time now. This could be a ploy to gain the initiative.
I don't get it. If the rumor is true, the screen will not be e-ink and the price will be almost twice as much as the wifi kindle. How would that make kindle obsolete?

Also whom are they targeting the device to? The book worms prefer e-ink devices; while the multimedia/social crowds would look at ipads for bells and whistles and tend to be casual readers. How can the new Nook help B&N's book business? I don't understand B&N's strategy at all.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #15
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppw View Post
I don't get it. If the rumor is true, the screen will not be e-ink and the price will be almost twice as much as the wifi kindle. How would that make kindle obsolete?
According to geek.com, the color Nook will be $250.

That's a reasonable price for such a device. But I think the question is who would pay $250 for a limited-use device when for slightly more, they can get a full Android tablet the same size?
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote