Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
alexibm
alexibm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
DJVU support -- all I want from Kindle.

Hi !

I bought Kindle 3 couple days ago, made a mistake, should have bought a Kindle DX, but not a big deal.

The only thing I want from this gray plastic thing is direct support for DJVU files. Period !
alexibm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You're still in the 30 day trial period so you can return the K3 and purchase a DX or something that reads your DJVU files (maybe Calibre converts them to mobi).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
For djvus and pdfs, a 9.7" reader is a must.
your only choice at the moment is DXG (look for doukan firmware, which supports the djvu format among many others).
In a month or so, the Pocketbook 902/903 would most probably be a good alternative.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You mean people actually use DJVU? I've never come across one.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
What is DJVU?

All I can think of is a poorly named DJ and would suggest an IPod over a Kindle for listening to music....
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
What is DJVU?

All I can think of is a poorly named DJ and would suggest an IPod over a Kindle for listening to music....
Here's the definition from the djvu.org site:

Quote:
DjVu (pronounced "déjà vu") is a digital document format with advanced compression technology and high performance value. DjVu allows for the distribution on the Internet and on DVD of very high resolution images of scanned documents, digital documents, and photographs. DjVu viewers are available for the web browser, the desktop, and PDA devices.
I didn't know what it was either.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Basically it seems to be an alternative to PDF...
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #8
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Why do people buy these things and then moan about it not supporting a format it never said it would ........

(feeling grouchy today)
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Basically it seems to be an alternative to PDF...
From what little I have read about it (since seeing alexibm's post yesterday ) DjVU is supposed to have better image compression than PDF's. Here is some good info about it, if anyone is interested: http://www.djvu.org/resources/whatisdjvu.php

The smaller readers can't do justice to the DjVU format anymore than they can display PDF's, as already stated by eLink. I can't find any information about eReaders that natively support the DjVU format; it seems to be mostly for Web sites and some smart phones with a DjVU reader app. Most sites talk about converting the DjVU eBook into a PDF document, which seems to defeat the purpose of getting an eBook in DjVU format in the first place.

Since Amazon refuses to support ePub, I don't imagine they will every "allow" their eReaders to support DjVU - after all, it is, thus far, a free technology so Amazon won't be able to buy it.

So, alexibm, as daffy4u said, you need to return your Kindle 3 and get the DXG, if you want to stick with Amazon eReaders. Or you could sell your Kindle here and buy some other eReader which fully suports PDFs or buy an iPad!

Holly

Last edited by OakIris; 10-19-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: name spelling!
Old 10-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
And how would supporting an obscure format benefit Amazon? They don't add features just for fun, there has to be a cost-benefit justification.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #11
OakIris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
And how would supporting an obscure format benefit Amazon? They don't add features just for fun, there has to be a cost-benefit justification.
I understand that, but still, ePub is certainly not an obscure format, and I would think they would benefit from supporting it. They could certainly sell lots of eBooks in the format to non-Kindle users at the least, (or is there a DRM problem there?) and since that is where the profit lies, selling lots of books..... But, this discussion is about DjVU, a format that very few people seem to know about, myself included.

Oh well, I am very happy with my Kindle and before I chose the Kindle, I knew that it didn't support ePub, wasn't large enough, screen-wise, to make PDFs readable, (I'd never heard of DjVU, so that format was not part of my purchasing decision,) I knew that it didn't allow borrowing from libraries, etc. I bought it after doing lots of research so I really have no regrets about my purchase choice.

Hopefully alexibm will be able to exchange his/her Kindle 3 for something more to his/her liking.

Holly
Old 10-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

IMO, if the big three ebook reader companies don't support it, then it is obscure! I wish these stupid scanned document formats would go the way of the dinosaurs, and that includes the worst of them all; Adobe PDF, which should stand for Pathetic Document Format. In 1990 there was a need for Portable Document Format, unfortunately Adobe was the crappy company that designed it and created a bloated POS. In 2010 I can not see a legitimate need for PDF, especially on eInk readers.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #13
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
Well pdf can be good..but it depends as to the application.

A friend of mine is a engineer and someone called to say would he like this item to be faxed...faxed! It was huge and could not be faxed (we're talking feet by feet here.

As a result he just had a pdf sent.

In terms of as a ebook I don't think pdf is a good format at all to use..epub is quite a bit better.

djvu is interesting as a open format but it's still rare. It seems to be to pdf's what ogg vorbis is to mp3's..
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #14
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
I understand that, but still, ePub is certainly not an obscure format, and I would think they would benefit from supporting it. They could certainly sell lots of eBooks in the format to non-Kindle users at the least, (or is there a DRM problem there?)
Yes, there is. They'd have to license Adobe's DRM to be compatible with the Nook and the Sony, and then there's the issue of delivering books to non-Amazon devices, and the technical support that would be required.

I've said this before, but once more with feeling: adding DRM'd ePub is not going to happen -- Amazon has no interest in paying licensing fees and support costs for someone else's format. And adding non-DRM ePub support would actually add little, since converting DRM-free ePub is easy for the more sophisticated Kindle user that would actually be interested.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:18 AM   #15
OakIris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Yes, there is. They'd have to license Adobe's DRM to be compatible with the Nook and the Sony, and then there's the issue of delivering books to non-Amazon devices, and the technical support that would be required.

I've said this before, but once more with feeling: adding DRM'd ePub is not going to happen -- Amazon has no interest in paying licensing fees and support costs for someone else's format. And adding non-DRM ePub support would actually add little, since converting DRM-free ePub is easy for the more sophisticated Kindle user that would actually be interested.
So, no ePub, ever. As stated, if you want eBooks that aren't available in a Kindle format, just convert via Calibre, or do that "illegal" thing, remove DRM and then convert. See how Amazon forces us all to be criminals? (j/k)

Holly