Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
Battle of the Bands

Over (quite) a few drinks this past holiday, the topic of over-rated bands came up.

I was severely ridiculed for my top three choices:
  1. The Beatles
  2. The Who
  3. U2

What say you?
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Well in order of over-ratedness I'd have to say

1, U2
2, Oasis
3, U2
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 01:20 AM   #3
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
In no particular order,

U2
Avenged Sevenfold
Rolling Stones

I disagree with MJK's choice of the Beatles and the Who. Every kid who ever picked up a guitar and wrote a song to get the attention of a girl owes a debt to Lennon and McCartney (sorry Elvis fans, he didn't write his own hits and was washed-up halfway through his career). Come to think of it, any successful band who wrote their own material owes them; everything else was by professional songwriters (kind of like today, which in itself would explain quite a bit). Why doesn't this apply to the Stones, you may ask? Because the Stones chased trends, and when they were too old to chase trends they went corporate; "Exile on Main Street" really was their last good album. Outliving your contemporaries doesn't make you great.

I wasn't aware that anyone thought the Who were timeless geniuses, but I was windmilling to "Pinball Wizard" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" when I was 3 so they qualify as influential, regardless the pretentiousness of the Rock Opera concept. We won't hear that kind of songwriting ever again...not even from Townshend himself.

I would be interested to hear what would make the Beatles and/or the Who overrated; that must've been a fascinating conversation and I'm worse off for not having been a part of it.

EDIT: Honorable mention goes to Ritchie Blackmore...I always like me some Deep Purple/Rainbow, but the guy's really not all that great a guitarist, and this is coming from a musician.

Last edited by devilsadvocate; 06-02-2010 at 01:24 AM.
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:47 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
  • Bucks Fizz
  • The Weather Girls
  • Radiohead
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:22 AM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
U2
Pink Floyd
The Clash
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 02:24 AM   #6
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
sublime
Metallica after 1990
kansas
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:19 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
When I saw this title, I thought it would be about Bill and Ted...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
In no particular order,

Every kid who ever picked up a guitar and wrote a song to get the attention of a girl owes a debt to Lennon and McCartney (sorry Elvis fans, he didn't write his own hits and was washed-up halfway through his career). Come to think of it, any successful band who wrote their own material owes them; everything else was by professional songwriters (kind of like today, which in itself would explain quite a bit).
Yup, they wrote excellent lyrics:
"We all live in a yellow submarine, yellow submarine, yellow submarine..."
"I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob..."

I'd go on, but I'm nauseated just thinking about the drivel they wrote.
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK2111 View Post
Yup, they wrote excellent lyrics:
"We all live in a yellow submarine, yellow submarine, yellow submarine..."
"I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob..."

I'd go on, but I'm nauseated just thinking about the drivel they wrote.
There's more to a song than lyrics, and even then it's more than just words.

Quoting Frost, Kerouac, or Dante out of context would sound pretty stupid too, wouldn't it?

That said, even I admit "Yellow Submarine" required some of Leary's finest, and according to McCartney was originally meant as a children's song.
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
  • Bucks Fizz
  • The Weather Girls
  • Radiohead
I DO hope your first choice is a joke . I'd go along with Radiohead though.

My choices in no particular order:

1. The Beatles
2. David Bowie (does he count as a band?). If not, then Lou Reed. Also not a band? The Stranglers!
3. The Strokes
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Dave Matthews Band
Coldplay (except the song "Yellow")
Wallflowers (Tom Petty did it better)
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
mountain_lion
Addict
mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: fbreader, Kindle
Coldplay
Snow Patrol
Blue October and La Oreja de Van Gogh (I know I was supposed to write 3 but I like both)
mountain_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #13
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Crosby, Stills and Nash(and sometimes Young)- Good harmonies but overrated in concert and all of them did better work before joining.

Steve Miller Band- I still can't figure out why people think so much of them.

Abba- Their lyrics were painful.

Last edited by obs20; 03-10-2011 at 01:44 PM.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #14
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I DO hope your first choice is a joke . I'd go along with Radiohead though.

My choices in no particular order:

1. The Beatles
2. David Bowie (does he count as a band?). If not, then Lou Reed. Also not a band? The Stranglers!
3. The Strokes
I'm an idiot, and I've completely got the wrong end of the stick on this thread (serves me right for doing it while on a conference call...). My selections were my favourite bands, not overrated bands .

Now I'm going away to have a rethink and a large glass of red wine.

* slopes off re-faced and muttering to himself *
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #15
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
The Beatles, they were just another boy bad
Aerosmith, come on Steve, no one wants to see you in spandex anymore, if they ever did
U2, no explanation needed.
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote