Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
InAFlap
InAFlap began at the beginning.

Device: Lenovo vibe P1
Thumbs up request for a book read date field

I read a lot of books and I like to keep track of when I last read a book and how many times I have read a book.
I started using calibre a while ago and absolutely love it, the only thing missing for me is a way to track which books I have read and how many times I have read them.
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask if that feature could be incorporated at some point in the future, but I think it would be useful for lots of users.
InAFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I think a few folks are doing this with a custom column in Calibre.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
InAFlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I think a few folks are doing this with a custom column in Calibre.
Hi and thanks for that tip, and it works for the last read date.
However without a number of separate fields it is not possible to track the various times I have read the same book.
but it will certainly work for now.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You could use a long text field to record a reading log, that you would display in the Book Details panel - see screen shot

If you want to get a bit more sophisticated you could have a table in a long text column

Or you could just put the log at the top of the Comments - if you're sure you wont ever download comments at sometime in the future from a 3rd party such as VeryGoodReads

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	102864  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
How about a "First Read" and "Last Read" date columns plus a "Times Read" integer? That gives some good basic details. Otherwise, what BetterRed suggested should work well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
InAFlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You could use a long text field to record a reading log, that you would display in the Book Details panel - see screen shot

If you want to get a bit more sophisticated you could have a table in a long text column

Or you could just put the log at the top of the Comments - if you're sure you wont ever download comments at sometime in the future from a 3rd party such as VeryGoodReads

BR
thanks for the suggestion but would that be sortable.

Up until now I have been using an access database to store my book details and I have a separate table for the dates read linked by a title Id.

when the form is updated with a new date read it updates a field that shows the number of times read and a separate field with the last read date.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think that tracking each and every date you read a book is a very VERY personal habit, and one that it unlikely others would want it, or that someone besides you would want to put any time into developing an add-on to handle.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by InAFlap View Post

Up until now I have been using an access database to store my book details and I have a separate table for the dates read linked by a title Id.

when the form is updated with a new date read it updates a field that shows the number of times read and a separate field with the last read date.
Timestamp (date) sorts down to the minute. I use one for my last_edited field
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Not as I've presented it - if you used an HTML table in the column then maybe you could add some javascript to do the sorting within that HTML table.

But sorting/selecting across multiple books so you could get say - a list of books you read for the second time in 1987 - would probably be harder, and very slow.

Quote:

My perception is that Calibre does not have any 'parent-child/1:N' relationships as you describe, 'essentially' its one table (books), where each row has a bunch of foreign keys referring to simple 'lookup tables'.

Suggestion - copy a calibre database (metadata.db) from a library folder to your desktop, download the sqllite browser from Sourceforge, point it at the copy of the Calibre database on your desktop. This will give you the opportunity to gain a broad brush understanding of 'how calibre works', without having to wrap your mind around any python

My hunch is that Kovid is unlikely to introduce the transaction processing complexities of parent-child relationships any time soon.

davidfor's suggestion is probably the best idea. There may be a way to increment TimesRead automatically when you update LastReadDate. That would allow you to sort on FirstRead, LastRead and TimesRead. You would only use my card at the back of the book idea - if sighting a reading history for an individual book was of any value.

I don't normally ask this question of an OP - but curiosity has got the better of me - ¿ why would you wanna do that!

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-14-2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: clarity
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book read, date field, request