Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
MiSP
MiSP began at the beginning.

Device: none
Instapaper to Kindle: Suppress periodical format

Summary: I would like to know of some way to tell Calibre that I want articles from Instapaper as a plain ol' e-book (with chapters at the articles) instead of a periodical.

I use Instapaper together with Calibre for sending my articles to my Kindle. They arrive in the Kindle periodical format, which has different functionality than a standard e-book. Most notably, the Kindle Paperwhite "Time to Read" function is not implemented for periodicals. You do get a standard e-book if you manually download the ePub from your Instapaper reading list, but that ePub unfortunately doesn't contain any images (which are sometimes needed for context).

If don't know exactly where to put this thread - Recipes, Devices and Conversion all fit to some degree.

Last edited by MiSP; 04-24-2013 at 07:17 AM.
MiSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Change your output format to epub and then run the recipe. Convert the resulting epub to azw3/mobi, it wont be in periodical format.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
MiSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Change your output format to epub and then run the recipe. Convert the resulting epub to azw3/mobi, it wont be in periodical format.
I suppose you are talking about the "Preferred output format" in the "Behaviour" section? I select "EPUB" here, fetch the news, and check that the downloaded item is indeed an epub. However, when I view it in the Calibre reader, it looks periodical-like (with sections and such), and when I transfer it to kindle as azw3 or mobi, it is indeed a periodical.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:13 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSP View Post
I suppose you are talking about the "Preferred output format" in the "Behaviour" section? I select "EPUB" here, fetch the news, and check that the downloaded item is indeed an epub. However, when I view it in the Calibre reader, it looks periodical-like (with sections and such), and when I transfer it to kindle as azw3 or mobi, it is indeed a periodical.
If you convert the ePub to azw3/mobi it should no longer be seen as a periodical on your Kindle. It would seem that your sending to youor Kindle a previously downloaded mobi/azw3 file.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:22 AM   #5
MiSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
If you convert the ePub to azw3/mobi it should no longer be seen as a periodical on your Kindle. It would seem that your sending to youor Kindle a previously downloaded mobi/azw3 file.
As I said, when I click "Download all scheduled news sources", they are downloaded as an epub (EPUB is the only one listed under "Formats" to the right when I select the downloaded news). Maybe the problem lies with the (built-in) Instapaper recipe?
Advert