Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-27-2006, 05:10 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
iRex iLiad owner calls for DRM support

While we've chattered ad nauseam about the Sony Reader these days, we don't want to forget that the iRex iLiad is an attractive alternative for any respectable geek. However, despite its superior screen and connectivity, the iLiad still lacks the ability to display DRM-protected e-book content, which is a deal killer for many of us. Well, unless publishers suddenly decide to abandon DRM. Nah, only in dreams.

So MobileRead editor Roland "CommanderROR" is calling for action to address the lack of commercial content delivery for the iLiad device. If not being able to read commercial e-books on your iLiad without breaking various laws leaves you a little unsettled, join the discussion and help us to find a working solution. And by solution I don't mean holding iRex developers captive in a dingy jar.

Regrettably, I failed to mention that the photo is under CC Attribution-NonCommercial 1.0, and that full credits go to Fred Benenson. It was shot during an anti-DRM protest at the Virgin Megastore on East 14th Street, NYC. If you're into cool photos check out Fred's Flickr stream.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Thanks Alexander...that frontpage post is really nice...provocative...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
Simple PDF password support would be a start ...
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:30 PM   #4
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
attractive alternative for any respectable geek.
LOL....I like your phrasing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdam
Simple PDF password support would be a start ...

They say it's already supported
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:18 PM   #5
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I wonder why these e ink devices can't run windows ce? That way you could load ereader, mobipocket, ms lit.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2006, 12:16 AM   #6
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane
I wonder why these e ink devices can't run windows ce? That way you could load ereader, mobipocket, ms lit.
Well, for one thing, Linux is free for the companies to develop on. I know Sony uses Linux because the cost of licensing Windows cuts into their bottom line while giving cash to one of their competitors.

Another reason is that Windows would have (at least) to have Eink drivers developed for it. In fact, though, it would have to have a lot more work done - given the slow refresh speed of Eink screens, the UI would have to entirely change, and many design decisions within Windows would have to be reconsidered.

Then there's the fact that they'd only be allowed limited access to the Windows software - with Linux they can see everything, and change anything they need to. With Windows, they'd be dependent on Microsoft for at least some of that. This way they can also hide proprietary drivers and so forth from Microsoft.

Windows CE gets you compatibility with a lot of apps, but Linux gives the potential for many as well... If the reader companies desired, they could port their apps to Linux for free! ;-)
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:16 AM   #7
lufee
lufee began at the beginning.

i am supporting it . waiting for irex.
lufee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:47 AM   #8
Jorgen
Connoisseur
Jorgen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony prs-650, iPod, BEBOOK Mini, Nokia n810, iPaq
In the 80ies, lots of Apple II software was protected. When the users stopped buying protected software it disappeared virtually overnight. In other words, DRM should disappear when the publishers start realizing that their sales sucks because of DRM.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:03 AM   #9
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen
In the 80ies, lots of Apple II software was protected. When the users stopped buying protected software it disappeared virtually overnight. In other words, DRM should disappear when the publishers start realizing that their sales sucks because of DRM.
That may have worked for software, but unfortunately for us, publiishers still have paper books to fall back on. In their view, the sales of ebooks or so small compared to paper that it isn't worth it to risk pirating of unprotected books.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:23 AM   #10
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I hate DRM ... I won´t support that ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:04 AM   #11
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Same here.
I said it already elsewhere, but:
I won't support DRM. Even if I have no physical medium, I like to own what I bought. I am not going to rent my books, except if the price would justifiy it.

DRM, independent of the system, will only let me read my books till the DRM system goes down/is not supported anymore, if that ever happens I will loose all my books. We are already seeing it in the form, "you have $DRM-system support on System A but not on System B,C, whatever".

I'm definitely not going to loose my money on DRM content.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:19 PM   #12
donkaarlos
Junior Iliad User
donkaarlos began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad GONE - kindle & Kyobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane
I thought it would be a piece of cake to write ereader or similar software for the Iliad and linux. My guess was that ebook suppliers would not like to loose there business to Sony and therefore jump onto the iliad ship.

I still hope for it.. As Alexander states the specs are much better and the device much better suited to review pdf’s or other content because of the bigger screen (Zooming features seem to be rather limited with Sony’s ereader).

So I fully support that we need to have to possibility to buy books or other content. If it is with or without DRM I actually don’t care. The only other thing I care is that we need to have a decent reader on our device to view the bought material.

I still think we will see DRM support. However if it doesn’t happen in reasonable time we might have another BETAMAX. This time however it would not be Sony to have the disaster…
donkaarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:38 PM   #13
mori
mori began at the beginning.

/agreed with b_k

My answer on the DRM situation: Yo ho yo ho, a pirates life for me

You can easily find any ebook in an easy to convert format if you know where to look; however I would immediatly buy ebooks if the price was reasonable and if there was no DRM.

Last edited by mori; 09-28-2006 at 12:41 PM.
mori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:46 PM   #14
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Heh, I didn't say I would not call it fair to buy the paper version and "find" a ready-made digital version of a book somewhere
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:12 PM   #15
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k
Same here.
I said it already elsewhere, but:
I won't support DRM. Even if I have no physical medium, I like to own what I bought. I am not going to rent my books, except if the price would justifiy it.

DRM, independent of the system, will only let me read my books till the DRM system goes down/is not supported anymore, if that ever happens I will loose all my books. We are already seeing it in the form, "you have $DRM-system support on System A but not on System B,C, whatever".

I'm definitely not going to loose my money on DRM content.
I agree. I find E Ink readers attractive for the ability to read online content offline -- i.e. the equivalent of printing it out. The iLiad is better suited toward this end than the Sony Reader due to its HTML support and 1024 x 768 resolution for portrait-mode PDFs.

For commercial books, it's a no-brainer that Sony is easily better positioned financially to contract with mainstream publishers than Irex, DRM or not. I don't see Irex having the will or the resources to change direction anytime soon.

Like b_k, I'd rather own what I purchase than license it. Many paper books that I own are out of print, and many of those books were printed by publishers that have long since gone out of business. An orphaned paper book has no impact on its readability, but the lifespan of an e-book is almost entirely dependent on its publisher's existence and support. Even if a publisher doesn't go out of business, it can be acquired and therefore have its file support policy affected or eliminated.

Just Say No to DRM.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote