Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
tap852
tap852 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question Sony PRS-505 shuts down

I have a Sony PRS-505 that I have enjoyed for a year. After the Sony conversion to EPUB my Reader doesn't work. Everything is up to date with the firmware and the software and is authorized correctly, but as soon as I try to open a EBUB format Book the Reader shuts down and restarts. I spent 2 hours with Sony USA support and we tried everything possible to correct the problem and they were goning to replace the unit until they found out that I live in Canada. Sony Canada sent me to a repair outlet who has no idea what to do. Is there anyone here that has had this problem and got it fixed? What is the solution? I miss my Reader. I actually had to buy a paperback (that's desperation)
tap852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Have you tried several different epubs... happened a couple of times to me and turned out to be faulty epubs... and they did check you were running the proper firmware as well... If yours is US (and it probably is in Canada) as mine is then should be at least 1.1.00.18040 Good luck...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
tap852

the firmware is up date, has been checked different times. The books are from the Sony Reader store and were downloaded after the site change over to EPub format. I even downloaded an old book in the new format with the same result.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Have you tried resetting the device and/or reformatting the internal memory (via the setting menu)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
tap852

reset, reformatted at least twice
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Hmm - my only other suggestion would be to reinstall the firmware, and that's just as it's about the only thing that I can think of, rather than having any idea about it fixing things...

(If you do go down this route, you may need to open the Sony Updater as a zip file & modify the file that holds the version string it's comparing with to determine whether to update.)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tap852 View Post
reset, reformatted at least twice
Did you try a "hard" reset (paper clip in the back, and hold Mark and vol + while it is starting up). If you do this you may (or probably will) lose your LRX authorization!
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
tap852

when I was on the phone with Sony Support we did a hard reset, updated (again) the firmware version, downloaded a fresh book from the Sony ebook store and just about anything that the guy could think of. The computer and reader have been deauthorized and authorized again. Nothing has worked. What else is there to do?

Tom

Last edited by tap852; 01-13-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
Darthatom
Darthatom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Darthatom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Darthatom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Darthatom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
When mine does this (continuously starts and restarts) I search for the cache folders on the device and delete the media.xml files, using my computer. That stops it. (I think I cause this situation when I remove books from the memory directly using my PC without removing it it through the reader's menu.)

Hope it helps

Atom
Darthatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatom View Post
When mine does this (continuously starts and restarts) I search for the cache folders on the device and delete the media.xml files, using my computer. That stops it. (I think I cause this situation when I remove books from the memory directly using my PC without removing it it through the reader's menu.)

Hope it helps

Atom
Thank you, Atom, I tried this and think it has fixed the restart problem I was having for a few days. I too had removed books from the memory using the computer. Have some karma.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote