Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
XanderRichards
Forensic shoe polisher
XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.XanderRichards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Is it me, or is Mobipocket for Windows awful?

Hi there.

I've recently been experimenting with this e-reader app to proof my own stuff. I had a look online and it seemed a reasonable choice but it's kinda butchering the texts that go into it. I like the feature set, but there must be a better option. (This being said, I confess it responds better to .mobi files than .epub.)

I tried Sony Reader for PC at my boss' office and he had the hardware version too. What a dramatic difference! I mean, really, there was no comparison. Everything was cleaner and sharper, despite the small display (on the handheld, at least).

So... without wanting to deplete my meager life savings, someone please tell me there's something better for my computer!

Cheers,
Xander.
XanderRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
The Kindle for PC app should open .mobi files just fine.
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrated View Post
The Kindle for PC app should open .mobi files just fine.
The current Windows version 1.9.1 (I think that's it) doesn't open Mobi files not downloaded from Amazon.

There is the Kindle Previewer but I cannot say how good or not it is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The current Windows version 1.9.1 (I think that's it) doesn't open Mobi files not downloaded from Amazon.

Interesting. If Amazon is playing that game, I suspect my Kindle for Mac app will eventually be unable to open them either. How lovely...
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
I've never used Mobipocket, but if managing books and reading them on your computer is what you are after, give Calibre a look. It does both of those tasks, plus a lot more.
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
It would be *much more* helpful Jon, if you really knew what you were talking about.

Yes, 1.9.1 had a bug that prevented non-amazon files from being loaded. It appears to have been fixed in 1.9.2.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173807
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #7
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderRichards View Post
(This being said, I confess it responds better to .mobi files than .epub.)
Mobipocket for PC was not developed to read epub files, but, as its name suggests, mobi or prc files.
For testing your epub files you should use another program, for instance Adobe Digital Reader.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #8
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
1.9.2?

I've only got 1.8.3, do I take it from this, that the U.K. is lagging behind the U.S. in keeping K4PC up-to-date?
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
It would be *much more* helpful Jon, if you really knew what you were talking about.

Yes, 1.9.1 had a bug that prevented non-amazon files from being loaded. It appears to have been fixed in 1.9.2.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173807
Yep.

And what's even more... v1.9.0 and 1.9.1 would still load MOBIs that were manually copied to the app's Content Library folder first. The glitch only ever affected the Kindle app's ability to launch a MOBI by double-clicking it (or by right-clicking and using "Open With" from the context menu) and having it automatically added to the Content Library.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-06-2012 at 07:03 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
1.9.2?

I've only got 1.8.3, do I take it from this, that the U.K. is lagging behind the U.S. in keeping K4PC up-to-date?
Have you done a "check for updates"? I'm in the UK and I've been offered 1.9.2.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #11
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Other than hitting the spinning sync icon, I can't see any way of checking for an update to the program.

Clicking the sync icon doesn't help.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #12
ghostyjack
Guru

Seeing it didn't auto-update as it normally does, I decided to download the latest version from Amazon. Lo-and-behold, I've now got 1.9.3.

I'm not sure why I didn't get it auto-updated, I assumed I was already on the latest version.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have 1.9.1 set to auto load and I'm still on 1.9.1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:

[Kindle for PC is now at version 1.9.2 and has no difficulty opening non-Amazon MOBI files provided they are placed in the "My Kindle Content" folder. It does still have some issues with file located elsewhere on the system and with displaying the covers in the Library View.]
I stand corrected, it is now v1.9.3 which will open files not in the My Kindle Content folder and displays covers for most non-Amazon/KindleGen ebooks. A few of my earlier calibre compiled MOBI ebooks still fail to display covers. The 1.9.3 installer still has the very rude behavior of stealing the default file associations.

Kindle Previewer 2, currently v2.4, is the best primary proofing tool for MOBI format books but is not the best general purpose eReader.

Last edited by dwig; 04-06-2012 at 11:41 AM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #15
ghostyjack
Guru

Quote:
I have 1.9.1 set to auto load and I'm still on 1.9.1.
I don't think the auto-update is that efective, seeing as they can't get it consistant even in the same country!