Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 03:30 AM   #1261
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
PS:
Even this was possible for size already in 2010:

"LG's 19-Inch Bendy Display Makes E-Newspapers Possible"
http://www.fastcompany.com/1515291/l...apers-possible

Maybe one could plug in a little device to that with which to manage what appears on the screen, and when not in use -or during transport- keep the screen rolled up...

(Just fantasizing now... but a full size A4 reader -14"- would be bought by many. I would bring out a version with the simple basics, and then maybe special firmware apart for those who like whistles and bells. In the form of modules.)

Last edited by Lode; 02-01-2013 at 03:45 AM.
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #1262
finitary
finitary began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus Excel, Barnes and Noble Nook Simple Touch
Thumbs up Android

I can't wait for Android. I hope you guys are able to port it.
finitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 03:50 AM   #1263
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
@Feher
Well, sweeping would be the best solution for page turns, I guess.

Concerning toolbar. For someone is < > absolute necesity, for someone something different. Also even for the same person the needs may be different depending what he reads beletry con. scientific article con. language textbook con. ......

No, fix toolbar setup is going to make happy all....

The best would be to have configurable or dynamical (last n used) toolbar. But I am very thangfull even for current toolbar. There was nothing like that half year ago.

@Lode
I have archive of probably all M92 firmwares since December 2011. If you will not like the current one, which I doubt, I may upload it somewhere for you.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:28 AM   #1264
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
Thank you Mono.

I don't know. Only this: often I have to look all over the place to find a book, as in "Internal Storage" some appear in "My Books" -all only author's names- some in "Digital Editions", and some in "downloads." In "My Books" there's even a icon saying "Unknown" which also has a few books.

Maybe with the firmware I have it is possible to put all of them in one single list, and choose to have them all displayed by either title or author. Less confusion and easier to find things.

So far I've not been able to scribble in existing texts.

Looking something up -like a chapter- seems faster in a paper book. But I guess just typing in a key word -or a few- will also get one to the sought for text quite fast.

What I don't want is many options to have to choose from, I like to keep it as simple as possible. I don't need all of those extra things I see others seem to desire.

I feel a bit like a spoiled brat whining. When I buy a paper book I don't have any choice in size and type of fonts, nor the search for word function to find a particular paragraph or sentence.

For downloading books or texts I always use my laptop, and for writing/editing too. So basically I only need my e-reader for reading. It's less bulky and a lot lighter than my laptop, just like paper books are. And reading on an e-ink e-reader is so much less tiring to the eyes.

Last edited by Lode; 02-01-2013 at 04:53 AM.
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:30 AM   #1265
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
@Feher
Well, sweeping would be the best solution for page turns, I guess.
It could be a problem with the current logic about the viewport. Some functions allow to move the view port, like paper mode. So, a sweep is useful only if the page is fully displayed on the screen and the viewport equal the area displayed.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #1266
Koda
Connoisseur
Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: 13" E-ink reader
I still advocate for an A4 format color device... a man can dream after all. Onyx onyx onyx please
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #1267
paralleluniverse
Enthusiast
paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lode View Post
I've always liked the idea of having a full sized A4 screen, and would have bought that if it were available.

Think about it: it would for quite some time probably be the only device on the market that offers that... which immediately would draw worldwide e-reader news attention. Lots of people like something "special" and would prefer it if they could afford it. In a way -if it were fast too- this would be a combination of the Rolls Royce and the Bugatti Veyron of the e-readers. And how many people would not buy that if if were priced as a Volkwagen?

Bigger size only means a few pennies more for materials which are dirt cheap...

In the mean time I'm happy with my M92, even with the original firmware.
I would also buy a A4 ereader.

The primary reason I bought a M92 is because it's the biggest screen ereader available. If there was a bigger screen one, I would probably guy it (assuming it doesn't suck).
paralleluniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #1268
Koda
Connoisseur
Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.

We've been waiting for years for this, with a lot of vaporware presented everyware (plastic logic was one of the more promising). Lot of people would be interested in buying it to comfortably read magazines or tech papers.
Yet no manufacturer seems interested in producing it even for a niche market.
We discussed a lot here in the forum on the subject in another topic, join here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...highlight=huge

Anyway... about the M92, I downloaded and installed last firmware and also the pdf reaper update here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...highlight=huge
Copied in internal memory and launched update.oar
I copied the 2 files inside a folder in the internal memory, should I copy them in the root or am i missing something?

Yet I can't see no universal zoom, I still have the 2 points zoom.

EDIT: repeated the process copying both files on the root with no luck

Last edited by Koda; 02-01-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #1269
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
First you need to install the "UPD. 12.12.12" and then the "UPD 2013.01.02".
In both cases, you need to unpack the archives into the root of the "internal storage" (you must not create any subdirectory there) and then click on the "update.oar".
Note: both updates are for the "NEW / BETA" Pdf Reader (you need to turn it on using "Settings" -> "Preferred Applications" -> "try new Pdf Reader (beta)").

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 02-01-2013 at 01:45 PM.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #1270
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
It could be a problem with the current logic about the viewport. Some functions allow to move the view port, like paper mode. So, a sweep is useful only if the page is fully displayed on the screen and the viewport equal the area displayed.
Does not have to be.

First, there are already icons to switch swipe on/off on toolbar.
Second, there might be different gestures assigned to swipe and viewport movements. Swipe - fast move horizontaly, viewport - stay at start point a while and move rather slowly any direction.

But OK, there could be < and > on all toolbars on sides of Page Progress Bar anyway.

To avoid too short Page Progress Bar on smaller devices, I would remove Refresh or Menu button and use the Page Viewport Pos button for this.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #1271
Koda
Connoisseur

thank you pepe, I didn't install the december update I guess, just the january one... going to try.

No luck.

I copied the december update (3 files) on m92 root and launched update, system rebooted.
I then copied (overwrite) the january update (2 files) on m92 root and launched update (no reboot this time).

Still when I open a pdf I have the 2 points zoom but no universal zoom or such. In "preferred application" the mark on "Use old pdf reader" is off. I also se many new option in the zoom for page scrolling (comic mode, scrolling mode, paper mode, auto crop) and zoom (customize zoom) but no universal zoom.

Any hint?

Last edited by Koda; 02-02-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #1272
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
I didn't write it clearly earlier ... what i want is that sweep function should take us to next-previous viewport and then to next-previous page if the viewport has reached the boundary of page . Right now it is not working properly (i believe) .. instead of taking us to next viewport, sweep shifts the current viewport to empty places.

Anyway we are discussing on a rather small matter which isn't a problem.
Also sweeping gets turned off when we are scribbling, in that case icons will do better.

Last edited by Feher; 02-02-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #1273
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Koda

You will find the "Universal manual" and "Odd Even Margins" under page settings tab
Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #1274
Koda
Connoisseur

Thanks mate! you are the man... didn't check after the last try. it's all there now
can i delete the update files from internal root?

They are great as expected! Once I use them to crop margin btw I cannot flip page with the jouystick anymore, is this intended? I tryed page mode, comic and scrolling modes.

Last edited by Koda; 02-02-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #1275
Feher
Addict

Yes you can delete the files now.

You can choose how joystick works by going to "Tools : Key Mapping -> Page Turn"
But there is bug related to it . See this post :https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...46&postcount=8