Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Sideloading throuth the SD

Hi, I'm trying to load PDF and CBZ files into my kobo touch through the SD. I followed the instructions here:

https://kobo.intelliresponse.com/tou...alRequest.y=0#

However, the touch does not seem to add any of the files in the SD. I've tried both Fat32 and Ext3 with no results. Am I supposed to get a documents drop down under library? If so, it does not appear.

I'm wondering what I could be doing wrong.
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
are you able to see epubs if you put them on the SD card? I did have an issue where the content wasn't recognized at first after ejecting the device. I did a full shutdown, removed the card, put it back in and started up again and I got the processing content and all was good.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
Toastedpine
Connoisseur

Which file system did you use?

I haven't used epubs, but I have used PDF and CBZ. The documentation says that PDFs are guaranteed at least, and they don't appear.

I have done a full shutdown. Still nothing though.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Pull the card from the reader. Insert the card directly into your card reader on your computer (I hope you have a full size SD "carrier" for it or that your computer sill read this sized card). Does your computer "see" the card when it is not in the Kobo? can you drag and drop files onto the card when it is not on the reader?

Or, keep the card in your reader, check to see if the card is visible through calibre and if so, try to transfer your files that way.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
Toastedpine
Connoisseur

The laptop and calibre sees the card just fine. It's the Kobo that's blind.
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe I had used whatever the default is, which was Fat32 I think; I don't have it with me unfortunately. When you say that the laptop and Calibre see the card just fine, is it plugged into the Kobo at the time? Also, when you first added the content and disconnected, did you get the processing data message?

Another thing you can try; with the kobo on, pop out and then re-insert the memory card; does the kobo do anything? And before anyone says anything, this should not harm the card or the content in the least as it's not writing to the card; it's only reading. But of course, it's always prudent to back up your data, just in case

but I would still suggest that you try with epubs; I'll try PDF's and a CBZ file when I Get home as I've only really loaded stuff onto internal memory to date.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
Toastedpine
Connoisseur

Popping out the card and reinserting doesn't do anything. I've just tried epubs, they're a no go too.

I have a card reader attached to the computer. That can read the card just fine, but the SD card isn't visible when I have it inside the kobo and the kobo is attached to the computer.

I've gone back to fat32. It should be fat32 since that's what the kobo disk looks like, and it wouldn't be all that practical if it were Ext3.

I really wish I had access to the mounting processes, at least that way I know whether or not the kobo even checks for the drive. Oh well, one can dream.

Last edited by Toastedpine; 06-14-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
peteradactyl
peteradactyl began at the beginning.

I'm not sure how I fixed it, but maybe this will help.

I had a similar issue when I got my Kobo Touch on Saturday, I tried adding .cbr, .pdf and .epub files all with no avail. I tried powering on and off, testing the SD card in other devices, there was no reason why the Kobo couldn't see the card.

Then I left it overnight (in sleep mode). The next morning I added an epub to the internal
library (2GB) via usb, when I disconnected the kobo, the processing content message appeared. When I checked my library after this I noticed that all the files on my SD card suddenly appeared!

Now I can do what Psyke suggests and pop the sd card in and out and the kobo automatically recognizes any content on my card.

Don't ask me why letting the kobo sit overnight would have made a difference, unless it just takes a while to detect a new card. I'm more of the belief that adding content to the internal library just kick-started things.

I hope this helps.
peteradactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
Toastedpine
Connoisseur

I'll try leaving it out overnight like you did and then sticking in a new epub. Will report back later.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
Psyke
Evangelist

it's really sounding like the SD reader on the kobo is defective; If windows can't see the card when it's plugged into the kobo, then there is a problem. What you could do is bring the kobo and the SD card to your local store if they happen to have demo units out and try it; If the card works, exchange for a replacement. If it doesn't, there migth be something with your card, despite it working in the PC.

update - another thing; I did try loading a number of PDF's. I had one cbr file that I renamed to cbz. The kobo saw the SD card once I inserted it and detected the PDF's, but not the cbz file. I removed it, renamed the file back to cbr and it got detected as well.

Last edited by Psyke; 06-14-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:38 PM   #11
Toastedpine
Connoisseur

Okay...now I'm deeply confused. So I have 3 SD cards. They're all exactly the same brand and class. They all work on the card reader, so the computer can see the contents of all of them. However, 2 of the three cards can't be detected by the Kobo touch. The last one, however, works.

Why?

The only conceivable difference I can think of is that there's some type of boot record in the very first memory space of the SD cards that get messed with depending on what program formats them. In which case, how would one restore that record to its original, off-the-shelf condition?

Damn you invisible technology pixies!

Also I went to the store, the same SD cards don't work.

Last edited by Toastedpine; 06-14-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #12
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
Howdy folks,

Please ensure that Windows formats your card so that it has one partition and that the data is copied to this partition.

In Linux parlance, you'll need your block device to show up as /dev/sdX with a partition mapped to /dev/sdX1. If you don't have a partition then it should just be a matter of running fdisk on the device to create one and running mkfs.vfat on it.

The Kobo Touch will try mounting the card as VFAT/FAT32 and if that fails, it'll fall back onto autodetection. The device supports VFAT/FAT32, ext2, ext3 and ext4.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #13
Psyke
Evangelist

it may also be the that the leads have just been pushed enough on the ones that don't work that they just can't make contact when in the kobo...rare, but it does happen.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
George; it's really appreciated having you and other members of the Kobo team here
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #15
Toastedpine
Connoisseur

Quote:
In Linux parlance, you'll need your block device to show up as /dev/sdX with a partition mapped to /dev/sdX1. If you don't have a partition then it should just be a matter of running fdisk on the device to create one and running mkfs.vfat on it.
Hmm, I'll try that. Thanks.

Quote:
it may also be the that the leads have just been pushed enough on the ones that don't work that they just can't make contact when in the kobo...rare, but it does happen.
The contacts on the SD cards? I checked them at your suggestion and they don't seem to be damaged. I suspect the problem is with partitions and the file system. This isn't the first time I've run into a similar problem with flash memory.