Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
burbleburble
Connoisseur
burbleburble began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Calibre Mobi Pagebreak Issue

I have been experiencing a problem with mobi files produced by calibre (including latest version)

At the begining of every chapter I have inserted a pagebreak (<div class="mbppagebreak"></div>, with the correct css). Then, using a kindle 3, the spacing above the chapter header changes drasticly between navigating chapters forward and backward and just flipping a page to the next chapter. Sometimes there is even a code fragment in the upper left corner (like '<mbp:') for no apparent reason.

This behaviour can be seen when taking any epub and converting to mobi and using kindle previewer.

It seems it can be solved using other software aside from calibre. See thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117702. However, I love calibre (THank you so much Kovid Goyal!!), and I imagine there must be a way to solve it using calibre. Maybe and option? a change to calibre?

Thanks for any help!
burbleburble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Dont insert a page break like that. Use style="page-break-before:always" on the first element of the new chapter instead.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
burbleburble
Connoisseur

Thank you for responding.

I tried that also. I tried having calibre auto insert before chapter headers. I tried every which way I could think of!

(see for example what they tried in the thread mentioned above!)

Their solution however, wont work in calibre since it wont recognize the namespace mbp:, or something like that.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is caused by a bug in the Kindle renderer. Since the bug is not properly understood (the thread you link to just has a workaround that nobody understands) there's no way to fix it in general. You should report it to Amazon.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
burbleburble
Connoisseur

Not to complain, but is it possible that the workaround mentioned in the above thread can be added to calibre?

Last edited by burbleburble; 06-02-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Didn't see the new reply
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It is not clear in exactly what circumstances the workaround works, or why it works, which is why it cannot be used in a general purpose converter like calibre.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
burbleburble
Connoisseur

Ok, Thanks!

One more question-
I tried using the workaround myself. but when I added <mbpagebreak> to the file, and calibre began converting it to mobi, it ignored that line with an error (along the lines of): 'unknown namespace: mbp', is there a way to code the html to avoid this error? (so that this line will exist in the mobi output instead of being ignored)
Old 06-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, there isn't. calibre expects HTML to be HTML not MOBI pseudo-code.

Tags
calibre, mobi, pagebreak