Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Barnes & Noble Said to Be Likely to End Search Without Buyer

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...ut-a-sale.html

Quote:
The chain, facing increasing competition as more people buy electronic readers such as Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN)’s Kindle, hired Lazard Ltd. last year to explore a possible sale. Barnes & Noble makes the Nook e-reader, and some potential bidders balked at a purchase because of how long it may take the chain to generate more digital sales, two of the people said.

A few private-equity funds determined Barnes & Noble is relatively unproven in digital sales and would have to compete in that area with companies such as Apple Inc., Amazon.com and Google Inc., said the two people.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Well, I would say that Apple and Google are rather unproven in digital book sales as well.

Nevertheless, it seems reasonable to me to suggest that a track record of success in selling hardback books at b&m stores does not necessarily indicate future success in selling eBooks via the internet. And as I understand it, that is what B&N is trying to sell to potential investors.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Ouch. Remember when BN was the 8000lb godzilla stomping on indies (remember You've got mail?) Now it's monster chow for Amazon.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
This may not be bad news for B&N, by the way.

They initially wanted to find a buyer and go private in part because of the infighting with Burkle. With that more or less over, the need to go private is a bit smaller.

Both Amazon and Apple are leagues ahead in terms of selling digital content, by the way. They've done it for years and are thoroughly set up for it.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kali, (if I understand you correctly) why do you think that Apple's success in selling music (whose market is mostly teenagers) will help them sell books to adults?
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Kali, (if I understand you correctly) why do you think that Apple's success in selling music (whose market is mostly teenagers) will help them sell books to adults?
According to Paid Content, 3/4ths of digital music buyers are over 25 years old.
http://paidcontent.org/article/419-t...phics-problem/
Old 03-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Thanks, kjk. Perhaps the teenagers are all file-sharing, because clearly 75% of the music being made is not for the adult market.

Books, on the other hand, are an adult market, notwithstanding the popularity of Harry Potter and Stephanie Meyers.

Still, if 75% of iTunes' business is to adults, I will concede Kali's (and the article's) point about Apple .
Old 03-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
GA, I think it's more that both Amazon and Apple have a head start at online transactions and selling digital content.

Both also work with a variety of digital wares. E.g. Apple sells music, apps, video (buy and rent) and now books. Amazon also sells music, video, books, is moving into apps. They also have S3, which is the backbone for services like Dropbox, and they've commercialized for years now.

B&N can catch up, and I would say they've actually done a decent job -- possibly more than analysts and investors credit. They've also done a good job at leveraging the physical stores to push the Nook. But they're still a bit behind.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post

B&N can catch up, and I would say they've actually done a decent job -- possibly more than analysts and investors credit. They've also done a good job at leveraging the physical stores to push the Nook. But they're still a bit behind.
The recent Goldman Sachs report listed B&N as having 27% share of the ebook market. That's a healthy chunk but they will need to grow or maintain at least that number. The question is what will it take? And how much?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Unless B&N has a credible, urgent plan to make money from its bricks and mortar stores, it is doomed. Digital books and the Nook are much too little and much too late to save B&N. The tragedy is the demise of Borders may tempt B&N to be complacent about non-performing physical stores and margins within that part of the business.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
True Confessions dept:

When my Nook Color automatically updated its OS, resulting in all of my books and magazines disappearing and forcing me to re-download them all, I thought for a split-second that B&N had shut down over the weekend.

Heh-heh. Silly me!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
True Confessions dept:

When my Nook Color automatically updated its OS, resulting in all of my books and magazines disappearing and forcing me to re-download them all, I thought for a split-second that B&N had shut down over the weekend.

Heh-heh. Silly me!
You had to re-download all the books and magazines because of an update?
Now I feel bad complaining when iBooks re-arranged my bookshelf order after updating
Old 03-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
arkietech
Connoisseur
arkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toys

Device: pc
Quote:
True Confessions dept:

Heh-heh. Silly me!
I would save them to a PC and then burn a dvd. This marketplace is loaded with potential disaster.
arkietech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #14
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
True Confessions dept:

Heh-heh. Silly me!
Is your Nook rooted? I didn't have to re-download anything after the last update.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkietech View Post
I would save them to a PC and then burn a dvd. This marketplace is loaded with potential disaster.
The books are already saved on my PC. Haven't tried it with the store-downloaded magazines yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Is your Nook rooted? I didn't have to re-download anything after the last update.
Nope, not rooted.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote