Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #16
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
iTunes cannot read your mind, so you need to select the iPad then go into the Books tab and select which books to sync with it.
That all makes sense, but aside from the apps, where you can clearly see which device to select, I don't see any place to "select the iPad" in any of your other options: music, books, etc. Where in iTunes do you do the selecting?

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
That all makes sense, but aside from the apps, where you can clearly see which device to select, I don't see any place to "select the iPad" in any of your other options: music, books, etc. Where in iTunes do you do the selecting?

Jim
The device has to be connected to iTunes. It also helps if you turn on the sidebar in iTunes with View --> Show Sidebar. In the Sidebar select your iPad. Then select the Books tab at the top of the iTunes app. That displays a window wherein you can select which books will be synced with the iPad. And yes, it is a PITA to go through all of that! I hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 2.19.55 PM.png
Views:	237
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	117997  

Last edited by jswinden; 01-15-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #18
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The device has to be connected to iTunes. It also helps if you turn on the sidebar in iTunes with View --> Show Sidebar. In the Sidebar select your iPad. Then select the Books tab at the top of the iTunes app. That displays a window wherein you can select which books will be synced with the iPad. And yes, it is a PITA to go through all of that! I hope this helps.

Well, thanks again for your help. On a PC, you have to have the sidebar on in order to have something to select, even with your device connected. As you say, once you've selected the device, it allows you to bring up the books tab which now appears at the top, and then tell it what you want.

But, really helpful Jack. Thanks for your time.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #19
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Is there a way to sideload my epubs to my ipad without using itunes or dropbox? I have a couple thousand and either method would be very cumbersome. Ideally I would just like to drag them to the ipad storage space while the ipad was connected to my computer.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #20
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Is there a way to sideload my epubs to my ipad without using itunes or dropbox? I have a couple thousand and either method would be very cumbersome. Ideally I would just like to drag them to the ipad storage space while the ipad was connected to my computer.
If you use calibre, they can be sent to Marvin, and it will probably be a lot faster than doing an iTunes sync.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #21
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Check this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=22
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #22
Dethmaul
Dethmaul began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 3
Quote:
If you are using iBooks, you might consider SyncIOS. You can import or eposrt epubs straight from the program, as well as other items like pictures and music. You need to have iTunes installed, but you don't need to use it. The program isn't as extensive as something like iFunBox, but it works well.

I uploaded 955 books to my device in a couple minutes. Keep in mind, you still have to do all the book sorting on the device, so it might behoove you to upload in batches of books so you don't get your books overloaded in the Book category. I did my upload by series, creating the collection in iBooks, then uploading the corresponding books, moving them to collection. Just rinse and repeat.
Dethmaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:47 AM   #23
Samango
Samango began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post

Jim
I don't usually have the sidebar on view but when the iPad is connected a button appears on the ribbon along the top — Songs - Albums - Artists... ...iPad

I have never used the Books tab (I think it is designed for books obtained from iTunes Store)
Instead, once I have clicked on the iPad button (not eject) and I am looking at the iPad page, a new set of buttons appear on the ribbon and I click on 'On this iPad'.
This brings up a list of Music Films TV Programmes and Books.
I click on Books and I can then sideload them straight into there. Once loaded they seem to copy themselves over (given a little time) without syncing.

Hope this helps
Samango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:54 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you use Calibre, the "iOS Reader Applications" plug-in makes it very easy indeed to manage books on an iDevice, in both ePub and Mobi formats. I use it with the Kindle Application on my iPad and it works beautifully. It supports iBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #25
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you use Calibre, the "iOS Reader Applications" plug-in makes it very easy indeed to manage books on an iDevice, in both ePub and Mobi formats. I use it with the Kindle Application on my iPad and it works beautifully. It supports iBooks.
I use this plug in with Marvin, as Harry says it works beautifully. I even have it set so my bookshelves on Calibre become collections in Marvin.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #26
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I had an interesting situation yesterday where I wanted to see how a book presented in a number of different apps on my iPad3, (was downloading from dropbox) and iBooks (which was presented as one of the options) simply refused to open a book that none of the others had issues with: it opened to the title page then crashed back to the bookshelf. Wonder what thats about.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote