Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Current Economist has article Describing Calibre as a DRM removal tool

Hi Kovid,

You might want to check out the current "The Economist" magazine issue. It has a short article on ebook DRM that incorrectly describes Calibre as a tool to remove ebook DRM.

They never mention it is actually a highly useful ebook catalog, database, and conversion tool that does *not* do DRM removal.

They really should have pointed this out and explained that although *unsupported* third-party DRM removal plugins do exist, these DRM removal tools work just as well outside of Calibre and therefore do not require Calibre at all.

Another example of really shoddy journalism in my opinion. I always thought "The Economist" was better than that.

Perhaps a letter to the editor setting the facts straight is called for?

Take care,

KevinH
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I already sent them a letter to the editor and they have corrected the article. Every time I read an article from a journalist on a subject about which I happen to know something, my respect for the profession falls another notch.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:38 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Every time I read an article from a journalist on a subject about which I happen to know something, my respect for the profession falls another notch.
The question is: How low can your respect for journalists and politicians go?

The American Congress has a less than 10% favorability rating yet most Americans will reelect the same people they disfavor. Who does that say more about? The politicians or the voters?

Similarly, our distaste for some journalists doesn't stop us from watching their reports or reading their stories.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Personally, I've gone from reading three weekly news magazines and a daily paper to just one weekly news magazine, and I dont know if even that will continue for much longer. If I need a list of current events, I get that from online sources, and I no longer feel that most long form journalism is worth even the few minutes it takes to read it, I prefer primary sources, when available. Of course, there are occasional articles that prove me wrong
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The error has been corrected in the online story:
http://www.economist.com/news/intern...hors-pick-book
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I already sent them a letter to the editor and they have corrected the article. Every time I read an article from a journalist on a subject about which I happen to know something, my respect for the profession falls another notch.
In that case I will put away my keyboard.

Seriously though, i've even lost respect for some well-respected names. David Pogue, for example, doesn't care to bother to distinguish between frontlight and backlight in the newer ereaders. He keeps saying backlight when he knows better.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Every time I read an article from a journalist on a subject about which I happen to know something, my respect for the profession falls another notch.
+1
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Or when you are the interviewee and your quotation is used in an incorrect/distorted context
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
I do believe this statement to be false, "David Price, head of piracy intelligence at NetNames, a brand-protection firm, says no DRM system has yet remained uncracked." as Sony's LRF was never 'reported' as being cracked.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've also seen no mention yet of Kobo's ePub format (kEpub) being cracked yet.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I've also seen no mention yet of Kobo's ePub format (kEpub) being cracked yet.
Export the Epub as Adobe DE Epub. Crack that. Done.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
I do believe this statement to be false, "David Price, head of piracy intelligence at NetNames, a brand-protection firm, says no DRM system has yet remained uncracked." as Sony's LRF was never 'reported' as being cracked.
That could be because anyone who wanted to strip DRM bought MSReader, not Sony BBeB. Sony's crappy ebookstore was best avoided.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Export the Epub as Adobe DE Epub. Crack that. Done.
Um.... but it's not quite the same. I believe there are some books NOT available in ePub format from Kobo; also you are not exporting the material, you are downloading it from the Kobo Books website.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:01 AM   #14
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Personally, I've gone from reading three weekly news magazines and a daily paper to just one weekly news magazine, and I dont know if even that will continue for much longer. If I need a list of current events, I get that from online sources, and I no longer feel that most long form journalism is worth even the few minutes it takes to read it, I prefer primary sources, when available. Of course, there are occasional articles that prove me wrong
Interesting, but then you are much younger than me, so it may well be a generational thing.

I prefer to read several newspapers and weekly news magazines (and numerous other magazines) in their paper form on a regular basis. For example, I have been a subscriber to The Economist for several decades and my current subscription runs to 2019. I would not think to get my news from online sources; I simply do not have the faith in them that I do have in certain print media.

I don't dispute that errors are made, such as was demonstrated by the Calibre article, but I don't see that online sources are error-free (can anyone really claim, for example, with a straight face, that Fox News' reporting is error-free?).

But I suspect my preference for the print media versions is grounded in my generational upbringing.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote