Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #46
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've always avoided list elements like the plague when ebook building. They always seemed more trouble than they were worth to me. So I'm curious what the historic issue was that you're referring to?
Hi, Diap:

ul and ol in K7 have always worked, as long as they are at the left-margin, and not indented at all. At the left margin, the word-wrap for the second line of any list elements aligns. However, once you indented a list, by whatever means (margins, blockquotes, you name it) it wouldn't align the wrapped words (using ol or ul); it would create a hanging indent that would up- and down-size with the font, so that the hang would always move a little bit left, or a little bit right, and never really be properly aligned on the vertical plane. I had clients that went absolutely hysterical over this. If I've explained it once, I have, literally, explained it several hundred times in the last 4 years. The reality is, no one cares, except of course the author. But we do many non-fiction titles, with extended outline format content, and not being able to reliably use indented ol/ul has been a giant PITA.

The 2.5.1 announcement simply said "resolves K7 issues with numbered and bulleted lists," or words to that effect, so I'm guessing that the "can't be attractively indented" ul/ol issue is resolved. On the other hand, I could be full of poo. ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #47
pittendrigh
Connoisseur
pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Chrome's reader works for me, with embedded youtube

I did have to include an allowfullscreen="false" attribute to the iframe in order to get this to work. I made a one page epub3 with sigil. Then I unzipped the epub and manually edited the "preface.xhtml" page. Then re-zipped it and uploaded it to my website.

I write and sell online how-to-build-boats ebooks. I sell a password to a website version of the book, with numbered pages etc. I'm working on a python utility that runs from cron, that makes a downloadable epub every night........for those who purchased a password.

This may not (probably will not) work in many if not most readers. But it does work in Chrome and Brave. I haven't tired Firefox yet. So many authors and readers want embedded video it seems inevitable wider support will gradually happen. In other words support is minimal now but that will change over time.

Complaints about "link rot" to youtube are common. Solutions will evolve.

https://montana-riverboats.com/epubit.epub

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
  <title>epub mess</title>
</head>

<body>
  <p>sample epubit.epub with iframed youtube video</p>

<iframe  width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YB6gwOBClwE" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="false"></iframe>

</body>
</html>

Last edited by pittendrigh; 10-05-2021 at 04:15 PM.
pittendrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2021, 04:22 PM   #48
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
FWIW, most epub3 readers support the html5 video tag and remote resources.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:30 PM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Please stop telling us about your online boat-building instructional video business. Your links and posts are almost always borderline spam.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:24 PM   #50
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Please stop telling us about your online boat-building instructional video business. Your links and posts are almost always borderline spam.
The last post, in this thread, when it was alive, was me--9 years ago. This isn't necro-posting; it's Zombification posting.

And I have yet to have a reader--not even ONE--tell me that they want video in eBooks. Not one.

Hitch
Advert
Old 10-06-2021, 04:04 AM   #51
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittendrigh View Post
Complaints about "link rot" to youtube are common. Solutions will evolve.
Link Rot is an extremely large problem, especially with the insane ramp-up of censorship happening lately.

Book I worked on just last year was a compilation of articles all written in 2020 (think motivational/young-entrepreneurship book).

They linked to multiple Youtube videos per chapter... and nearly half the videos were already broken due to:
  • account takedowns
  • copyright strikes

Not to mention Youtube's ridiculous must-log-into-an-account because "adult video" nonsense they've been pushing recently.

(A few months back, I wanted to check out a movie trailer. You know, the ones anyone with a TV sees during commercial breaks? ADULT! But I can watch Trailer #2 and Trailer #3 with no account fine... Trailer #1 must've just been too dangerous!)

And now, they're even purging "bad things" like:
  • Reverse engineering
    • Guy who repairs old TVs? Gone.
  • "Hacking" videos
    • Computer security? Gone.
  • News clips
    • Fair Use? We "own" that 30 seconds. Gone.
    • And how dare you show a thing we said 1 month ago that contradicts what we just told you yesterday... MISINFORMATION! Gone.
  • Scientific debate
    • You speak against a word on the naughty list? Gone.

You don't open up a paper book, then have half the material just disappeared into thin air.

(Although there are art books that cost hundreds of dollars with blank spots where images WOULD be...)

Ebooks should be built to last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
The last post, in this thread, when it was alive, was me--9 years ago. This isn't necro-posting; it's Zombification posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
And I have yet to have a reader--not even ONE--tell me that they want video in eBooks. Not one.
It's the future of ebooks! (/sarcasm)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 10-06-2021 at 04:38 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:18 PM   #52
pittendrigh
Connoisseur
pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
My last participation was more than a year ago. You remember more about me than I do.

Yes link rot is a problem. Solutions will evolve. I see on other forums a few new rounds of "how to I do video" questions have popped up recently.

I gave an answer that works. Start with sigil, finish up with a text editor. Then re-zip. Boom. It works in some readers and not in others. Support will increase over time.
That is a given.

Spam? Point taken. Next time I'll use the third person. That (people I know) actually use and make money with embedded video is a valid point. Also what I did say (in the past) is not in anyway SPAM because I did not say were said transactions occur. You have no idea where it happens.

When ever the "embedded video" subject comes up a veritable avalanche of negativity inevitably happens. But other authors (this time I won't say who) are not only doing it now but are also profiting from it. That is not only a valid but also a substantive point.

Video is a gathering evolution that cannot be stopped. Video is bad news for some and good news for others. It is coming at us--whether we like it or not.

Last edited by pittendrigh; 10-06-2021 at 01:21 PM.
pittendrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:53 PM   #53
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
My last participation was more than a year ago. You remember more about me than I do.

Yes link rot is a problem. Solutions will evolve. I see on other forums a few new rounds of "how to I do video" questions have popped up recently.

I gave an answer that works. Start with sigil, finish up with a text editor. Then re-zip. Boom. It works in some readers and not in others. Support will increase over time.
That is a given.

Spam? Point taken. Next time I'll use the third person. That (people I know) actually use and make money with embedded video is a valid point. Also what I did say (in the past) is not in anyway SPAM because I did not say were said transactions occur. You have no idea where it happens.

When ever the "embedded video" subject comes up a veritable avalanche of negativity inevitably happens. But other authors (this time I won't say who) are not only doing it now but are also profiting from it. That is not only a valid but also a substantive point.

Video is a gathering evolution that cannot be stopped. Video is bad news for some and good news for others. It is coming at us--whether we like it or not.
Y'know, you have a specific, unique niche that is how-to. And sure, I can see that using video inside eBooks would suit you.

But I'm not kidding in what I say. I've been in this business since '08; really since '09; been on the Amazon Professionals list since 2010. And in all that time, I've had ONE client that thought video in eBooks was gonna be the Next Big Thing and so, we embedded some video in some of her ebooks and it fell flatter than a mousse slammed down like a brick.

And in all that time, not once has anybody ever lamented it. I've had 6,000 authors and readers, etc. through my doors, literally. I've quoted more than 9,000 books. Again...you'd think that by now, I'd have had a ton of requests for it--but I don't. Why is that? We do more non-fiction books than fiction, by the way.

I've been hearing about how "video is a gathering evolution" for over a decade now. And the proponents of it keep saying it. Hell, APPLE tried to make it the Next Big Thing. Which took off...never. Not in Disney eBooks, not in anything.

IME, people who want video, get video. People go to Youtube or one of the others. Or they stream it, using Rokus, Amazon sticks, etc.

People who want books, want BOOKS. I just don't see, have never seen, any big crossover. Everybody who goes on and on about how it's the Next Big Thing is invariably somebody with how-to content to sell. Fine, great, wonderful--monetize your YT channel or whatever.

I don't know what else to say to you. it's clearly and patently NOT the Next Big Thing, because if it were, Apple's big honking push of the IDPF for ePUB3 multimedia (which was what, 5 YEARS ago, now?) would have taken hold and grown roots--and it still hasn't. Why hasn't it, as the Next Big Thing?

What about the other Next Big Thing? the Immersedition, with multimedia? Cost them thousands to make that first eBook...and then...what's that sound? The sound of a rock, sinking through a deep lake. Nada, nothing, zip zein zilch. Oh, right it was gonna be HUUUGE in schools--who had no interest. She blew everything on that idea, the Immersedition and it tanked. How can that be, if video is the coming thing?

I just don't see what you see. And believe me, I'd LOVE to charge for sticking worthless videos in ePUBs. Really would. It would be awesome. But...nix, nein, nyet, nope, not. In all those years, we've only quoted adding video a whopping 10x. I just checked, for the number of times we've included that in a quote, since 2011 (we didn't have a commercial quoting system, before that, but I'm 99.999% sure nobody asked us for video in eBooks before 2011). TEN. 9,019 quotes since October of 2011. 10 quotes to add video to eBooks.

If that doesn't tell you something, I don't know what will. But hey, as the kids say, you do you.

Hitch
Old 10-06-2021, 02:15 PM   #54
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:

Yes link rot is a problem. Solutions will evolve.
I. Don't. Care.

You come around every year or two, expounding on how server-based video-centric ebooks will be the wave of the future, and doing everything in your power to avoid accepting the real-world strictures that are forced upon ebook sellers (those who hope to actually make any money at it, anyway). Then you repost the link to your boat-building instructional-video site. Then you disappear when you can't make anyone "see the light." Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I'm tired of it. The fact that you used Sigil to make your epub does not automatically mean your topic is Sigil-related. It's not. And it never is. Strive to re-invent the wheel somewhere else.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-06-2021 at 04:28 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:24 AM   #55
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
(still cringing: Video in books )
Worst notion of the century.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:54 AM   #56
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Worst notion of the century.
(I had to back track to find where I said that ALMOST a decade ago)
My opinion STANDS (and probably will until I get buried).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote