Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Congrats. She's absolutely adorable.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
For as long as I have known him, my husband has loved dogs, and wanted a dog. I'm a cat person, so I'm against dogs by nature. They're too clingy, too demanding, and too much effort... cats are less work, but as big a reward. It's to his credit that he indulged my demands for cats while suffering without a dog, but after the second one finally was friends with the first cat, he demanded his due. Our next pet would be a dog. I agreed, since he'd allowed me to have my two cats, and a few months later, we adopted a black lab puppy.

I did my best to help, and to share in the house breaking work and the training, since he was helpful with my cats, but it's still his dog.

And then I had this horrible, painful, devastatingly stressful day at work... the kind of day that make you want to use a baseball bat on your co-workers. So on my way home I called my husband, to vent and get sympathy, and when I got home, guess who was waiting for me right inside the door? A glowing, bouncing, ecstatic, beyond thought super-happy little dog, who literally threw herself at me, while her tail was wagging so hard she had difficulties balancing her "assault".

It's really hard to be unhappy when you're greeted by someone who is so happy to see you. I'm pretty sure that I don't even have to be nice to her as long as I notice her, and as long as I give her attention, she will keep loving me. That's kind of touching.

So while I'm still a cat person in all ways that matter, I make an exception for my puppy-girl. She's my dog, so that makes her superior to other dogs.
Excellent!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #18
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
She's lovely. There's nothing better than a dog that's happy to see you!! Congrats.
I don't know. A dog asleep half-way on your lap as you relax with a good book comes pretty darn close...

I'm still not a dog person!
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #19
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
I'm still not a dog person!
Yeah, right!

Lovely story. Thanks for sharing it. ARF!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #20
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Very nice story!

We lost Shadow last December. The only really sad part of sharing time with a good dog is that they aren't here nearly long enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2357.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	597.2 KB
ID:	88703  
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #21
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I think if everyone had a dog the world would be a much nicer place
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #22
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
We lost Shadow last December. The only really sad part of sharing time with a good dog is that they aren't here nearly long enough.
That's sad... I've only had my dog for a short while and I'd still be devastated if something happened to her. She's my puppy-girl, after all. (Still not a dog person! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I think if everyone had a dog the world would be a much nicer place
I don't know about that. There are some people that are so far beyond repair that giving them a dog probably would qualify as animal cruelty.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #23
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

I don't know about that. There are some people that are so far beyond repair that giving them a dog probably would qualify as animal cruelty.
Unfortunately I have to agree with you on that ScalyFreak. There are people in this world that don't deserve any kind of a pet...cat, dog, fish, bird, whatever.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #24
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
This one also wants someone to hold the other end of her knotted rope while she tugs at it, and she wants a lap to sleep on when she's tired. My husband says black labs grow to be quite big, so I'm a little worried about her lapdog habit. I'm hoping it's a part of the baby phase and that she'll outgrow it before she outweighs me...
That morphs into "someone to sit on the couch to lay her head on the lap thereof while she takes her nap."

Labs are the best dogs. It helps if you have a pool, so they can indulge in two of their favorite obsessions: fetching balls and swimming.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #25
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Labs are the best dogs. It helps if you have a pool, so they can indulge in two of their favorite obsessions: fetching balls and swimming.
We actually got one of those kiddie pools for her to splash around in after seeing how much she loved that when we visited family. Afternoons here this time if year can get up to 110F, and even hotter in August, and she has lots of black fur...

I found combining chew toys with the kiddie pool makes for high entertainment. Lab puppies can dive and fetch things that are under water. I had no idea.

Last edited by ScalyFreak; 07-05-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #26
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
We actually got one of those kiddie pools for her to splash around in after seeing how much she loved that when we visited family. Afternoons here this time if year can get up to 110F, and even hotter in August, and she has lots of black fur...

I found combining chew toys with the kiddie pool makes for high entertainment. Lab puppies can dive and fetch things that are under water. I had no idea.
They will also try to dive to the deep end if a ball sinks. It's not as easy when the water is 8'. They don't seem to get the concept...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #27
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
As your lab pup grows up, and your lap doesn't grow, you will eventually end up with a drooling head on your thigh and big brown eyes fixed on your face ....
A flintstone-dino welcome assault comes to mind
Grats for losing your heart to the pup Scaly
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #28
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_pheonix View Post
Unfortunately I have to agree with you on that ScalyFreak. There are people in this world that don't deserve any kind of a pet...cat, dog, fish, bird, whatever.
I such cases I'm willing to grant lice a pet status and wish them to such people. accompanied with short arms of course
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #29
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Congratulations, ScalyFreak. I'm a cat person and my husband's a dog person, so we started off with a cat and then nine years ago we got a black Lab puppy called Emma. She is the dearest dog and I love her to bits. (Shameless advertising: I have an album of photos of her on my user page.)

Apart from people, her favourite things are food, balls and water - but curiously she doesn't like to put her head under water to get a ball, so I was interested to hear that other Labs do that.

You have many years of unconditional love, a sweet nature and occasional bouts of naughtiness ahead of you - enjoy!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #30
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Congratulations, ScalyFreak. I'm a cat person and my husband's a dog person, so we started off with a cat and then nine years ago we got a black Lab puppy called Emma. She is the dearest dog and I love her to bits. (Shameless advertising: I have an album of photos of her on my user page.)
She's beautiful!

OMG, my puppy is going to be HUGE!