Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
OphReader
Connoisseur
OphReader began at the beginning.

Device: 902
Unhappy My Issues with Onyx M91s

After a painfully long distribution process (I do not want to talk about it - just be aware of TNT, I've never seen such incompetence in my life) I'm finally holding the M91s in my hands. After reading with it for one day, I'm not sure if I keep it though.

I updated the FW to the last version, but I still experience sudden pageturns, for example when I drink from a bottle of beer, the page flips, thats annoying. The placement of the buttons is annoying too, you cant hold the reader relaxed in your left or your right hand, since you have to watch to not touch any buttons on either side. I could not find any option to reassign any functions to the buttons - I think access to the dictionary is to complicated right now, it should be usable with only one click.

I definitely like the screen, it has much more contrast than the vizplex of the 902. I love the hide margins function too - exactly what I was looking for. The normal zooming steps could be a little more precise - the gap between 200% and 300% is way too big.

I'm not sure if the benefits of the M91s outweight it's flaws. I would like to keep it, but today I could not read with it without getting angry, and that's not a good sign, is it?

What do you think about the reader?
OphReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
After initially being annoyed with what are some pretty considerable bugs, I really really like reading on it (mine is an M90). Despite being right-handed, I have become accustomed to the left side page turns. I keep it in my lap while I read, or on a stand, so accidental page turns are a rare occurrence.

I'm just using mine for reading novels, so I cannot attest to any of the other features, which I suspect are not up to par. I also keep very few books on the device, as the sorting options leave a lot to be desired.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
pidgeon , have you tried rotating it in the menu to read with the controls on the other side? Im actually used to using the ir control now although i'd prefer to swipe over it the other direction when page turning.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't tried flipping it over, that's an interesting idea.

I would have continued using the IR to turn pages if it were more reliable.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
OphReader
Connoisseur

Has anybody managed to use the dictionary yet? When I try to use it, the reader freezes. And what about installing additional dictionaries? I created a folder named "Dicts", but I cannot access the dictionary?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard

I have used the dictionary, and it does work. Not well, but it works. The Chinese translations are particular helpful.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
OphReader
Connoisseur

Hmm, the dictionary is not working at all for me, I hope this get fixed soon, since I read a lot of foreign texts. Also I happened to notice, that there's a new russian FW for the m91s 'odysseus', will there be an update for the european version as well?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
adrhc
Connoisseur
adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.

Device: PcketBook Pro 903
I'm interested in a review of M91s. I understand in faster than M90; how otherwise differ ?
adrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
adrhc
Connoisseur
adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.

Device: PcketBook Pro 903
Is it possible to add new fonts to M91s ? (let's say I want to copy some *.ttf font files from my windows to it).

Last edited by adrhc; 09-01-2011 at 12:53 PM.
adrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
Syncopated
Syncopated began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I just needed a device that would render my documents properly. I have mainly PDFs and some EPUBs. It was quite disappointing on the day I got my M91S to find two PDF books that had parts that don't render properly on the M91S. Even the Kindle DX, which I thought had poor PDF support, renders them correctly, although it has problems that the M91S doesn't have.

On the other hand, I have a large scanned PDF (basically each page is just an image from the scan) that's 300MB, and the M91S seems to render it fine and quickly enough, whereas the Kindle DX is so slow I could probably make tea while the page is turning.
Syncopated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #11
thomas01155
Enthusiast
thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
What is the speed like on the M91S, is it faster than the Kindle DX graphite?
thomas01155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:28 AM   #12
BCotton
Connoisseur
BCotton doesn't litterBCotton doesn't litterBCotton doesn't litter

Device: Boox M90, Sony PRS-300, PB360+, HP Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrhc View Post
Is it possible to add new fonts to M91s ? (let's say I want to copy some *.ttf font files from my windows to it).
On M90, you can install OTF fonts, not TTF. Maybe on M91 too. And you cannot simply copy them over. You can install them only when you install new firmware.
BCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #13
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Device: Onyx Boox M92
the automatic paging turning most likely result from IR read-out being interpreted as hand gestures under incandescent bulb/sun as it emits infrared waves.

Again, this is actually a poor engineering example, that Onyx failed to filter out some noisy IR read-outs.
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote