Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
noomies
noomies began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, Sony ps-600
Help! Kobo malformed?

I have a Kobo, that was given to us as a gift, for my daughter. She's going on a trip tonight, and was going to take it along. We had already put books on it using Calibre (I use it with my sony)

I went to add a couple more books today, and it is telling me that Calibre cannot communicate with it, it says its malformed and that the line "add books" is missing.

Any way I can restore this thing right quick?

Keep in mind that I am not at all tech minded and while I have done searches here, I am not understanding any of it at all. Can someone tell me in laymen's terms what to do?
noomies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
factory reset and re-add the books through calibre.

sounds like you most likely took the usb out of the kobo without properly ejecting it from your pc.
kobo's databases are sensitive and you have to take care with them or you'll get the error above.

so ya, go into the kobo, factory reset, re-add your books, go to my computer on your pc and find the kobo reader, right click and eject it, then you'll be fine for future adding / deletion with calibre so long as you properly eject.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Since it's otherwise undocumented, I'll add:

You perform a factory reset by pressing the Home button, tag the "gears" icon, tap "Device Information." There you will see the button to perform the factory reset. Note that a reset will undo all of the Updates, so you will have to use the Kobo desktop software again to re-configure and update the Kobo.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
noomies

It is an older Kobo.

When I hit Home, it just goes to a book list, not to any options. I have tried resetting through Menu-settings-advanced-reset and also by using the paperclip in the back.

Neither trick fixes the issue.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noomies View Post
It is an older Kobo.

When I hit Home, it just goes to a book list, not to any options. I have tried resetting through Menu-settings-advanced-reset and also by using the paperclip in the back.

Neither trick fixes the issue.
What 'Software Version' are you using. Check for it under Settings Overview. If it is not at least 1.8.2 you may have to update it.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
noomies

Its a 1.8.2
Old 07-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
noomies

This is what it says right when i plug it in and Calibre finds the device:

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 63, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 312, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 177, in books
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed
Old 07-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
Joe563
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Quote:
Its a 1.8.2
Well, if a factory reset did not fix the problem then it may be a Calibre issue. Do you have a recent version?

You could try to work around Calibre by using Windows Explorer to drag and drop the EPUBs into the root directory of the reader or into a directory you have created.

You can also use Adobe Digital Editions to transfer EPUBs to your reader.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
noomies

I did try to drag and drop files, and when I plug it in and look with the finder, I see them, but they don't show on the kobo. I may not have the latest version of Calibre though... I'll try that.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
1.8.2 means original Kobo. Maybe after the factory reset you might also want to try the database restore process.. see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...82#post1274682
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
I did try to drag and drop files, and when I plug it in and look with the finder, I see them, but they don't show on the kobo. I may not have the latest version of Calibre though... I'll try that.
Also after the reset you might need to reauthorize the device with ADE and also with Kobo Desktop. DO ensure the time and date is set as well!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
noomies

I've updated calibre... and am getting the same response. Still says its malformed.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
noomies

To do the database restore how do I get the computer to open as a mass storage device?

Also, It never put the Kobo Desktop on my computer. So its never been registered. How do I do that?
Old 07-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
Joe563

Quote:
I've updated calibre... and am getting the same response. Still says its malformed.
Bad news. I believe Peter is correct. Here is a message from the Calibre developer about the error message you are getting. The link in his message leads to the same link as the one mentioned by Peter.

Last edited by Joe563; 07-13-2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Fixed link.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
Joe563

Quote:
To do the database restore how do I get the computer to open as a mass storage device?

Also, It never put the Kobo Desktop on my computer. So its never been registered. How do I do that?
The Desktop application should be on the reader. Search for it using Windows Explorer and install it from there.