Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #91
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
For that matter, witchcraft is still practiced in Romania. Not witchcraft involving worship of Satan, however. This is the older folk variety, concerned with charms, potions and spells, to do things like bring you true love, keep you healthy, or help you make money.
And in Africa, where an odd number of ingredient lists seem to include "chunk o' albino."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...AAAKoEBU_Q42l8
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #92
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
the HP world is not even remotely similar to any form of WICCA, DRUIDISM, or any other ancient or modern Pagan path. it is simply a fantasy world. period.
I don't know very much about Wicca or other pagan religions. But I do agree that HP is a fantasy world, and did not intend to imply that whatever accusation of "witchcraft" currently applied to HP by some Christians is somehow legitimate. I don't think it is. Though, as that link I provided suggests, some people certainly do believe there is a connection between HP and some forms of witchcraft/paganism. We would have to argue the point with them, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I'm addressing the fact that you seem to believe in witches-- and that they are "dangerous." I may be wrong in the characterization, but it seems from your post that you believe that "witches" are real in the sense that they are actually addressing a real supernatural being who really can assist them in their wishes if they perform the right rituals and mumble the right words-- but at a price, and not just see "witches" as simply flakes wasting their time and perfectly good herbs and spices. If I'm wrong in that interpretation, then I apologize. (If right, there isn't a facepalm large enough.)
I believe in both God and Christ of the Bible, not based on blind acceptance, but based on historical, eye-witness, and personally experienced evidence.

Similarly, the Bible records incidences of witchcraft. Also, I have read accounts of satanic rituals that worked. I saw what I believe to be a demon possession (it was known as "channeling" in the new age-y '80s), and know several people personally involved in exorcisms. I know one person who told me in detail about a satanic ritual of witchcraft -- what he called "white magic" -- that actually worked, even though his friend became frightened and attempted to stop it, and the supernatural occurrences afterward.

So, once again, based on historical, experiential, and eye-witness testimony from trusted sources, I believe the evidence supports the existence of Satanic witchcraft.

Here, I'll do it for you so you don't get banned.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/f...r/facepalm.jpg

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 09-30-2010 at 10:55 PM.
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #93
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
In an attempt to get back on topic...

The Witch of Blackbird Pond is actually on one of the lists of banned books.

I read it. Great book!

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #94
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
And in Africa, where an odd number of ingredient lists seem to include "chunk o' albino."
The tribal shaman or "witch doctor" is an integral part of many African societies. At one point, Kenya had a setup where shamans were teamed with Western trained medical personnel. The Western trained doctor ministered to physical ills. The shaman was more in the nature of a psychiatrist, treating various mental conditions by using symbol, ritual, and myth to remind the sufferer of who he was and where he fit in his society.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #95
PDowns
Enthusiast
PDowns doesn't litterPDowns doesn't litter

Device: (jetBook)lost in mail;(Kobo;ipod touch;Samsung S
Lady Chatterly's Lover by D H Lawrence, has really fond memories for me. I read the book out loud at recess at St. Mary's School in grade 7 and got expelled....
PDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #96
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Back in 7th grade I did do a book report on Lysistrata, which got me some hard looks from the teacher.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #97
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
In an attempt to get back on topic...

The Witch of Blackbird Pond is actually on one of the lists of banned books.

I read it. Great book!

-Pie
Sounds familiar -- I probably read it as a kid or teen. I think I'll download the sample and see if I feel like reading it again! Thanks for the reminder.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote