Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #31
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Most K3 owners will probably never even walk a mile ever much less carrying the K3. IF I had driven my car with the K3, probably no problem would have been evident either.
Oh my goodness, when you're in a hole you just keep digging don't you? I expect quite a lot of Kindle readers walk a mile or so.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #32
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpars View Post
I have seen a few posts by reputable people stating that they were approached by Amazon to test 3.0.1. I think people who posted about freezing issues were contacted by Amazon, provided the beta firmware upgrade and were instructed to leave wifi/3G turned on so that Amazon support could monitor. This was from posts on the Amazon.com boards.
I'm one of the people Amazon contacted about trying 3.0.1. I had perhaps a dozen or so spontaneous restarts or lockups over the first week. Since getting 3.0.1 Saturday afternoon I've logged probably 10-12 hours of usage without further problems.

It's a little premature to say that they have a fix (I had 3 days in a row last week without any problems), but they wouldn't roll out even a beta update unless they thought they'd actually fixed something.

It seems they were also replacing units with particular ranges of serial numbers. That might be due to a different issue altogether, or perhaps they just wanted to rule out the possibility of a hardware defect.

In any case, I trust we'll have an effective solution for everyone before very long.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #33
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I'm one of the people Amazon contacted about trying 3.0.1. I had perhaps a dozen or so spontaneous restarts or lockups over the first week. Since getting 3.0.1 Saturday afternoon I've logged probably 10-12 hours of usage without further problems.

It's a little premature to say that they have a fix (I had 3 days in a row last week without any problems), but they wouldn't roll out even a beta update unless they thought they'd actually fixed something.

It seems they were also replacing units with particular ranges of serial numbers. That might be due to a different issue altogether, or perhaps they just wanted to rule out the possibility of a hardware defect.

In any case, I trust we'll have an effective solution for everyone before very long.
With them replacing a range of serial numbers that is telling me that they have found a mfg. issue or issues with certain batches of the units. This is a normal process of figuring out how to build the units correctly or maybe a bad batch of components
So hopefully by the time they ship mine they will have this figured out.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #34
Mirtika
Mirtika began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505
Quote:
If you have the K3 WiFi with the following information, you may have part of a bad lot:

First 10 digits of serial #: B008A0A003
Software version: Kindle 3.0 (515460094)

At least two of us here, who had to return it for replacements, had that information.

It also could be a random problem in all the lots.
I had a freeze-up/crash/whatever a few days after arrival (though I'd only used it minimally) while browsing the kindle store. freaked me.

I have the same software version, but a different serial number. B006... (not 8)
Mirtika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #35
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirtika View Post
I had a freeze-up/crash/whatever a few days after arrival (though I'd only used it minimally) while browsing the kindle store. freaked me.
The browser appears to be fairly unstable from various reports so I wouldn't be too worried about that particular crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirtika View Post
I have the same software version, but a different serial number. B006... (not 8)
B006 is the Kindle 3G+WiFi from the US store.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:51 AM   #36
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinath View Post
Oh my goodness, when you're in a hole you just keep digging don't you? I expect quite a lot of Kindle readers walk a mile or so.
I walked for an hour yesterday while *reading* my Kindle, of course it was indoors in my basement, but I walked it. I've been doing that so much I think it's making my back hurt from holding the Kindle out in front of me.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:33 AM   #37
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
I think amazon maybe replacing the units that had sounds when it shakes? Hopefully.

I am quite stuck at the moment, I do not have a land line and can only use my mobile phone and amazon dosn't let me call out to them nor would they be able to call me. So frustrating writing emails to them to try explain the problem, then get a reply that's "im sorry the only way we can help you is if we can call you"

Student woes.
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #38
mrzerga
Connoisseur
mrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the rough

Device: kindle 3 wifi - love it
Quote:
If you have the K3 WiFi with the following information, you may have part of a bad lot:

First 10 digits of serial #: B008A0A003
Software version: Kindle 3.0 (515460094)

At least two of us here, who had to return it for replacements, had that information.

It also could be a random problem in all the lots.
my device has this serial, 150+documents, no problems so far(knocking on wood)
mrzerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #39
ylsul
Connoisseur
ylsul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiren View Post
Let's hope so. I received my wi-fi Kindle 3 yesterday and it has crashed/rebooted by itself about 8 times now .
Be sure to do a manual reboot from the menus. It seems to help a lot.
ylsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #40
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
Quote:
Originally Posted by estrial View Post
I think amazon maybe replacing the units that had sounds when it shakes? Hopefully.

I am quite stuck at the moment, I do not have a land line and can only use my mobile phone and amazon dosn't let me call out to them nor would they be able to call me.
Why can't they call a landline?

Try SkypeIn/SkypeOut, though?
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #41
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I think mine has settled down now. I've only had 2 freezing/rebooting episodes in 7 days and they happened on the same day directly after each other. Been 4 days and no problems since. I can't see it becoming a majot problem for me if it only happens evey noe and then. I think I can hold on until the new firmware is released.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #42
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
the update is coming. I have been in contact with UK KSC about my freezes and reboots. Just called them today to ask about the status of the update and been told to keep mine plugged in with wireless on overnight, my details are being passed to tech and they are going to push the update to my kindle in the next 24 to 48 hours.
He mentioned that it will be going out to all kindles very soon, I think they just want to check it resolves freezing etc first. But at least the UK CS know about it now, which is good as they were denying it till today.
Will let you know when the update hits my kindle, fingers crossed it hits it soon and resolves the problems.

I have had freezes, reboots and slow page turns...........
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #43
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinath View Post
I've had it in my handbag walking that far several times. Plus, it's taken the 60 miles round trip to my job every work day for the last couple of weeks. That's a fair amount of jostling and vibration. I haven't had a single crash. That's not to say that motion might not be a problem for some. With motion issues, you may be looking at a weak connection. It's often the sort of thing that is a manufacturing flaw occurring in some units rather than a design flaw present in all.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #44
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Just a few unlucky folks.

At the Amazon site for the K3 WiFi 78% (4 to 5 stars) love their new eReaders and had no problems.

Only 22% (1 to 3 stars) have some problem or don't like the Kindle WiFi 3.

My new unit arrives tomorrow. I just hope it comes loaded with the new firmware. I hear the new firmware has eliminated the reset and freezing problems.

In any event I have a 78% chance the new one will have no problems.

I did have at least 6 spontaneous reset problems on the old unit before I took it to Church after which every start had that problem until I got it home and let it rest for half an hour.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #45
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
good luck with the new unit, hope it solves it for you

Im getting my 3.0.1 update pushed to my kindle in the next 24 hours, so I am hoping it solves my freezing/reboots issues. All starting to look good. At least Amazon can be trusted to sort thing out, either with updates or replacement. My Sony 505 never got an update to resolve its flaky nature, so I got used to reboots
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote