Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Borders Enters the War! Eh...$20 Gift Card?

According to this site, Sony cut their Sony Reader Touch to just $199 and nobody even noticed, yet BN and Amazon do it and the blogs are on fire. Good read...

http://ireaderreview.com/2010/06/22/...in-the-forest/

Amazon and BN have stolen the spotlight despite Sony doing the same. Even Borders probably gets more attention with their announcing they will add a free $20 gift card to all Kobo purchases

http://www.slashgear.com/borders-doe...stead-2291049/

Astounding.

Edit: Apparently I've fallen into the same trap of keeping up with Amazon and BN. This is old news. Oops!

Last edited by BenLee; 06-23-2010 at 09:45 AM. Reason: old news
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Touch has been $199 for quite some time (and the Pocket $169 with a lot of places selling it for $149). It got a fair amount of posts here on MR.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-22-2010 at 10:45 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
Edit: Apparently I've fallen into the same trap of keeping up with Amazon and BN. This is old news. Oops!
Just edit the title to reflect the Kobo gift card.
*That* is news.

(Haven't been to Best Buy in a while, have you?)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Haha, done. Thanks fjtorres.

I went to Best Buy last week, but to look at the laptops and iPad
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
switchman2210
Enthusiast
switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Black PRS-650 with lighted cover & Kindle DX.
Quote:
According to this site, Sony cut their Sony Reader Touch to just $199 and nobody even noticed, yet BN and Amazon do it and the blogs are on fire.

Astounding.
But the way I understood the Sony price change was a sale, not a price drop. After the sell, they were free to resume selling the device for $299USD. What Amazon and B&N has done is reduce the price of their device.

When Sony introduces the replacement for the Touch I would have expected them to introduce it with a $299 USD MSRP price. What Amazon and B&N have done is reset the bar for a 6 inch device. I do not believe Sony can introduce their new 6 inch reader for more than $259 MSRP. This should give retailers the latitude to sell it in the $239-249 range. I believe they can charge and get a premium for their hardware, but not 1/3 the price.

There are people that will pay more for the Sony device. I am one. I will not buy a Kindle due to the lock in. I tried a Nook at the store and did not like it. For better or worse, epub, even with DRM, is the most open format for an eBook.

Last edited by switchman2210; 06-23-2010 at 06:56 PM.
switchman2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
gintzj
Connoisseur
gintzj began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi model
best buy

Quote:
Haha, done. Thanks fjtorres.

I went to Best Buy last week, but to look at the laptops and iPad
Best Buy has the Sony Touch for 199.00 this past weekend
gintzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Sony lowering the touch's cost permanently, as opposed to a sale, is what I feel kick-started this price war. It's old news, but probably relevant.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Only $150 more to go...
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:12 AM   #9
Easypain1
Easypain1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best is Sony Touch

Last edited by Easypain1; 01-05-2011 at 05:47 AM.
Easypain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
reader22
Enthusiast
reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: none
The touch is still £229 over here. I was thinking of getting a 505 but I can only find that in one shop for £180. It's marvellous living in rip-off Britain. Maybe I should venture onto fleabay.
reader22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #11
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Geez! And I thought Can$229 was outrageous ... considering it's $169 in the US and the Canadian / US dollar are "close" to par. With a 6" e-ink reader from Kobo at an actual bookstore (and Wal-mart) locally for $149, I am not sure what Sony Canada's game plan is. A Sony bookstore which is inferior to kobobooks and Amazon, and priced significantly higher than Kobo and Kindle ... it is hard to understand where they plan to go in the Canadian market, if anywhere.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote