Notices

Old 07-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #16
Gester
Enthusiast
Gester began at the beginning.

Device: TX :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I am not sure but the target for the 5" model is end of July. Originally the 6" was similar but I think it, at least, has been pushed out a month or two. The 9.7" model is due in October or November.

Dale
I thought that the 5" was just Astak's in-house creation, which is supposed to release in July.
Gester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gester View Post
I thought that the 5" was just Astak's in-house creation, which is supposed to release in July.
I don't understand the comment. The 5" is a product, just like the others.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #18
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
I think he meant that he thought that Netronix didnt want to release a 5'' device and that Astak developed this one alone.
Can you actually state it like that in english?
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:01 AM   #19
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I don't care what you call it, when can you buy it....(the Win CE versions, that is.)
A Wifi-enabled Linux-Version for me please. (And I really, really dont understand why wifi seems to make problems for linux-based devices. There are more then enough high-quality (and cheap) linux-enabled wifi-chipsets out there ...)
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
I think he meant that he thought that Netronix didnt want to release a 5'' device and that Astak developed this one alone.
Can you actually state it like that in english?
I believe that Netronix did this one also. Astak, from what I can see from my visit there, does not have the capability in house to design and manufacture a e-Ink hardware device. While Netronix has not offered this for sale separately I believe it is their product. I only included it to fully answer the question asked earlier in the thread about when the Mentor would ship. Sorry if someone thought I was off topic.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #21
Gester
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I believe that Netronix did this one also. Astak, from what I can see from my visit there, does not have the capability in house to design and manufacture a e-Ink hardware device. While Netronix has not offered this for sale separately I believe it is their product. I only included it to fully answer the question asked earlier in the thread about when the Mentor would ship. Sorry if someone thought I was off topic.

Dale
I must have been mistaken. Reading from the RobertB's posts in the other thread, I must have gotten it into my head that the 5" device was designed in-house. I don't think I've seen anything from Netronix about a 5" of their own.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #22
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
I must have been mistaken. Reading from the RobertB's posts in the other thread, I must have gotten it into my head that the 5" device was designed in-house. I don't think I've seen anything from Netronix about a 5" of their own.
Just so you know... Netronix *IS* releasing a 5" version!

Here's the link.

http://www.netronixinc.com/product_EB500.htm

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:53 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Yea, and I still want to know what "Read in the dark" means. Anyone have a contact they could ask? Is there some type of built in lighting on this device?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #24
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post

Here's the link.

Derek
They must have added this today. When I looked yesterday I swear I only saw 4 models, not 5.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #25
Gester
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Quote:

Here's the link.

Derek
Great. Now when can we buy the damn thing?
Old 07-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #26
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Great. Now when can we buy the damn thing?

Sometime in August, through Astak. Currently, they're targeting it for $249, retail. What does anyone want to bet that price will climb between now and then?

And it appears that PVI should be releasing their touchscreen versions of the EPD displays between yesterday and September 30th. That being 3rd Quarter. Hmmm... Anyone want to take bets that those 6" and 9.7" toucscreen units will release closer to Q1/2009???

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I was just looking at the PDF for the 5" reader, and I noticed that it's virtually identical to the one I got from Astak. Aside froma few graphics and the title, the two sheets are the same. The Netronix PDF even has the same dpi error (it says 170, when it should say 200 dpi).

Basically, Netronix plagiarized the Astak spec sheet.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #28
Gester
Enthusiast

Angry

Quote:
Sometime in August, through Astak. Currently, they're targeting it for $249, retail. What does anyone want to bet that price will climb between now and then?
For the 5"? Now, my memory is notoriously poor, as proven earlier this thread, but did we just go from $150, when RobertB first mentioned it, to "under $200" when the Astak Mentor site first went up to $249? (Did they alter that today? I swear I saw differently yesterday!)

Now the July release moves to August, and the product is no longer an inexpensive alternative.

Last edited by Gester; 07-02-2008 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Punctuation and for added anger
Old 07-02-2008, 10:42 PM   #29
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
And it appears that PVI should be releasing their touchscreen versions of the EPD displays between yesterday and September 30th. That being 3rd Quarter.
Astak is also now saying September for their 6" Reader.

What confuses me about the 5" version is a Linux Qt environment plus MobiPocket or eReader (FictionWise) support. MobiPocket obviously has its Java Reader, but eReader does not have an announced Linux reader.

Also Astak is apparently going to sell one Linux device (5" screen) and two WinCE devices - all with the same Reader software on them (which is close to impossible, unless they use Qt on WinCE too even though this is currently in beta). It would make more sense (except perhaps for price) for all Astak's Readers to run WinCE, because both MobiPocket and eReader have WinCE Reader software. Or for all of them to run Linux for that matter. It greatly simplifies software development and maintenance to have one O/S.

There is less problem with Netronix offering two operating systems, assuming they don't bootleg them this time round. Since the user support will come from the system integrators, and they can each choose one operating system for all their Readers.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:11 AM   #30
Jen
Jen began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook One - currently broken
As far as I understodd from the email I recieved from RobertB, the Netronix and the Astak readers had the same hardware but the software on the Astak was supposed to be tweaked for the US. I asked about the availability of the Astak readers in Australia and RobertB said in his email: "There are three partners in this that cover Asia, Europe, and the Americas. We have the Americas and want Australia. The machines will be very similar in most ways... so somehow you will be covered on getting one. We just do not know if it will say Astak or Netronix on it."
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote