Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #706
brainvision
Connoisseur
brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet, Kindle Paperwhite
I used the device specific configuration GUI to change the Send to device path, putting {#custom_column} into the template field, and my standard fixed path just below, where it let choose the main directory.
And yes, the column in the Calibre main window shows paths exactly as I want, but when sending to device it seems that it is not able to create that directory..

don't know what to think...
brainvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #707
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@eschwartz: Is it possible for Calibre to do these things:

1) Keep track/info of books that were sent to device (like the built-in column "on device" that is visible when device is connected but not when there is no device connected) in custom column . Ideally on per-device (2 Kindles) basis So

2) Auto-magically update that custom column values based on "on device" column's data every time you connect the device ?

So as to have always visible track if you've already transferred to your device some particular book(s) and/or filter the library based on that and "read" custom column being "false"/"undefined" to get "have it on the device but didn't read it jet" virtual library.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #708
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
@brainvision,

Is it possible you have "Use sub-directories" unchecked? I can't really think of any other reason.

@shamanNS,

Have you taken a look at the Reading List plugin?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #709
brainvision
Connoisseur
brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
@brainvision,

Is it possible you have "Use sub-directories" unchecked? I can't really think of any other reason.
thanks for your patience @eschwartz, I really appreciate it..

yes it could be I have that option disabled, but.. actually I cannot find it anywhere! Is it in the Send to device GUI window? Or if not, where?

And BTW, till yesterday, when I just used the
Code:
{series}{publisher:| - (|)}/{series_index:0>3s|[|] - }{title}{authors:| - |}
simple template, Calibre had not problem to create subdirectories based on series tag..
but maybe I disabled it, don't know..
brainvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:12 PM   #710
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@eschwartz: I even have it installed but did't really "get it" or spent much time exploring it (how is this thing used, how does a workflow look like) because it didn't seam that it would work with my patterns of use and level of organization and approach regarding reading. I don't really follow TBR shelf/list 1,2,3, don't want titles from some list to get synced (batch transferd) to device and I actually like to send books one by one using "Send to Device" because I do my checking of html/css , Count Pages plugin, Hyphenate etc mostly right after I add book to Calibre, but not always. And because I'm anti-"iTunes school of thinking" "transfer-and-delete-via-sync".

I have no idea if "syncing" via those list uses "Send to Device" (which generates .apnx file) and do plugboards and save templates apply in that case.

But I'll use next weekend & old Kindle PW1 & Calibre portable to mess around and try to figure out how the plugin is used. Aldo I'm used to my old (probably not very efficient ways), and use Goodreads to decide what I'll read next, to track what I've read and only occasionally sync read state from it to Calibre Library.
Advert
Old 11-11-2015, 06:43 PM   #711
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainvision View Post
thanks for your patience @eschwartz, I really appreciate it..

yes it could be I have that option disabled, but.. actually I cannot find it anywhere! Is it in the Send to device GUI window? Or if not, where?

And BTW, till yesterday, when I just used the
Code:
{series}{publisher:| - (|)}/{series_index:0>3s|[|] - }{title}{authors:| - |}
simple template, Calibre had not problem to create subdirectories based on series tag..
but maybe I disabled it, don't know..
Actually, on second thought I believe Android devices use a special per-device config, right?
I was looking at the settings for it in Preferences ==> Plugins, which wouldn't be the same thing at all.

I don't even HAVE an Android device to test.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-11-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #712
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@eschwartz: I even have it installed but did't really "get it" or spent much time exploring it (how is this thing used, how does a workflow look like) because it didn't seam that it would work with my patterns of use and level of organization and approach regarding reading. I don't really follow TBR shelf/list 1,2,3, don't want titles from some list to get synced (batch transferd) to device and I actually like to send books one by one using "Send to Device" because I do my checking of html/css , Count Pages plugin, Hyphenate etc mostly right after I add book to Calibre, but not always. And because I'm anti-"iTunes school of thinking" "transfer-and-delete-via-sync".

I have no idea if "syncing" via those list uses "Send to Device" (which generates .apnx file) and do plugboards and save templates apply in that case.

But I'll use next weekend & old Kindle PW1 & Calibre portable to mess around and try to figure out how the plugin is used. Aldo I'm used to my old (probably not very efficient ways), and use Goodreads to decide what I'll read next, to track what I've read and only occasionally sync read state from it to Calibre Library.
I haven't used it myself, but it does say specifically that you can automatically keep a per-device list of what's on your devices, and it uses the send-to-device process.

Auto-sync is one component, tracking the contents of a device is another, and each component is optional.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:08 PM   #713
shamanNS
Guru

Played with it for 20 minutes, and so far managed to get it to fill out a custom Yes/No column if I manually press "Sync now". List is populated based on books that are on device.
So I have to remember to press shortcut before disconnection my Kindle.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #714
scorpion2782
Enthusiast
scorpion2782 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I use this settings "{series_index:0>2s| #| – }{title}" but for some books won't update the title. the metadata are correct and i try to update deleting and adding but nothing... any suggestions?
scorpion2782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #715
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Are the books dual-MOBI? (i.e. they contain both mobi7 and KF8 content, and ereaders that don't support KF8 can fallback on the mobi7)

calibre cannot update metadata in a dual-MOBI.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #716
scorpion2782
Enthusiast
scorpion2782 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Are the books dual-MOBI? (i.e. they contain both mobi7 and KF8 content, and ereaders that don't support KF8 can fallback on the mobi7)

calibre cannot update metadata in a dual-MOBI.
i have a kindle 3 and i use primary mobi. i must to use azw(3)?
scorpion2782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:53 AM   #717
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

You can use either (although, for various reasons, I recommend AZW3).
Just don't use a MOBI that is really a two-in-one.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #718
miajoshua
Mia
miajoshua began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air 2, Marvin, Calibre
Hi, I've been starting to experiment in using templates and composite columns to configure the way ebooks look on my Kindle 3. I use to read things on my ipad before. I've did the 3 composite column thing and now am trying the one column #special_title, but can't figure out how I can change the way to adjust for the decision between picking when to use the shortened title or the initial title.

the code according to the guide is:

Quote:
Custom column:
Name: #special_title
Template: (the following with all leading spaces removed)
program:
# compute the equivalent of the composite fields and store them in local variables
stripped = re(field('series'), '^(A|The|An)\s+', '');
shortened = shorten(stripped, 4, '-' ,4);
initials = re(stripped, '[^\w]*(\w?)[^\s]+(\s|$)', '\1');

# Format the series index. Ends up as empty if there is no series index.
# Note that leading and trailing spaces will be removed by the formatter,
# so we cannot add them here. We will do that in the strcat below.
# Also note that because we are in 'program' mode, we can freely use
# curly brackets in strings, something we cannot do in template mode.
s_index = template('{series_index:0>2.0f}');

# print(stripped, shortened, initials, s_index);

# Now concatenate all the bits together. The switch picks between
# initials and shortened, depending on whether there is a space
# in stripped. We then add the brackets around s_index if it is
# not empty. Finally, add the title. As this is the last function in
# the program, its value will be returned.
strcat(
switch( stripped,
'.\s', initials,
'.', shortened,
field('series')),
test(s_index, strcat(' [', s_index, '] '), ''),
field('title'));

Plugboard expression:
Template:{#special_title}
Destination field: title
Can I ask which part do I change to choose how many spaces in the title before I use the "initial" version of the title in the final product? Thanks!
miajoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #719
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

The magic is all in the switch.

Code:
strcat(
    switch(
        stripped,
        # This regex tests to see if initials are used.
        '.\s', initials,
        '.', shortened,
        field('series')
    ),
    test(
        s_index,
        strcat(' [', s_index, '] '),
        ''
    ),
    field('title')
);
Change the regex in red to match the stripped series, e.g.
Code:
(.+\s+){2}.+
Repeats to match only once there are two spaces (or more, of course).
Old 01-10-2016, 02:44 PM   #720
miajoshua
Mia
miajoshua began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air 2, Marvin, Calibre
thank you!! that totally did it!
miajoshua is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom column, tag, tags