Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #16
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I've got one who is just turning 11. She, however, loves suspense stories, though she didn't like Harry Potter.

I second the suggestion for the Narnia series. Also the Anne of Green Gables books, and The Girl of the Limberlost. My daughter suggests Sarah, Plain and Tall; The Lemonade Crime; and The Phantom Tollbooth.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
How about Witches of Karres by James Schmitz, available from Baen. He wrote that for a girl of about her age, as I recall, and it would make her laugh. (And if you wanted to read it to her, it would make you laugh, as well.)

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Thanks for these! There are some great suggestions here! Tonight she selected Princess Academy, so we'll see how that goes!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #19
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Kingdom Keepers by Ridley Pearson

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Thanks for these! There are some great suggestions here! Tonight she selected Princess Academy, so we'll see how that goes!
My 12 year old grandson likes Kingdom Keepers, a series by Ridley Pearson.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #20
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Enola Holmes series is very good. Skullduggery pleasant and Artemis Fowl are good fantasy books for 11 year old. You would enjoy these too maybe. I think are all at libraries.
I haven't read the Enola Holmes series but while I adore Skulduggery Pleasant and have enjoyed Artemis Fowl, and would otherwise wholeheartedly recommend them for any kid of that age, they're possibly not well suited for someone who has sleep issues and gets anxiety from books with too much excitement (going by Order of the Phoenix being too much). Same goes for other series I'd mention otherwise, like Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson or Kane Chronicles.

I'm trying hard to come up with something that hasn't been mentioned yet, but the majority of books I've read that are aimed at that age group tend to go for "action-packed and exciting".

Oh... how about the Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins? I've only read the first one (Gregor the Overlander), admittedly, but found it adventurous while well below the later HP books in the scariness or anxiety-inducing excitement levels. Another possibility might be the Ember series by Jeanne DuPrau, starting with City of Ember.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #21
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
H. Beam Piper's _Little Fuzzy_ available here as part of the Terro-Human Future Omnibus (maybe separately as well).
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #22
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
When she finishes Harry Potter, I'd recommend Diane Duane's Young Wizards series (The New Millennium edition). It does have a good female protagonist. But perhaps too much peril for bedtime reading.

Perhaps the Telzy Amberdon stories by James H Schmitz would be fun.

Ooohhh... The Ethshar series by Lawrence Watt-Evans.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #23
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
I haven't read the Enola Holmes series but while I adore Skulduggery Pleasant and have enjoyed Artemis Fowl, and would otherwise wholeheartedly recommend them for any kid of that age, they're possibly not well suited for someone who has sleep issues and gets anxiety from books with too much excitement (going by Order of the Phoenix being too much). Same goes for other series I'd mention otherwise, like Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson or Kane Chronicles.

I'm trying hard to come up with something that hasn't been mentioned yet, but the majority of books I've read that are aimed at that age group tend to go for "action-packed and exciting".

Oh... how about the Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins? I've only read the first one (Gregor the Overlander), admittedly, but found it adventurous while well below the later HP books in the scariness or anxiety-inducing excitement levels. Another possibility might be the Ember series by Jeanne DuPrau, starting with City of Ember.
Enola Holmes is Sherlock's younger sister, 12 or 13 I think. Very nice to read and reinforces the idea that children are far more mature and capable than we often see them.,
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #24
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
The Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pierce. Then anything else written by Pierce.
The Enchanted Forest series by Patricia Wrede.

The following might or might not be for readers younger than your daughter, but I remember liking these as a kid (no idea what age I was, though):
E.B. White: Trumpet of the Swan, Stuart Little, etc.
Beverly Cleary: The Mouse and the Motorcycle series, etc.
Ruth Chew: Do-It-Yourself Magic, etc.
Lynne Reid Banks: The Indian in the Cupboard series, etc.

Robin McKinley's Damar duology is great, but she might not want to read it at bedtime. Same for Patricia McKillip's Riddle Master of Hed series. Also consider Wildside by Steven Gould.
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:11 AM   #25
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Tamora Pierce's books seem to be suitable for that age. I recommend starting with The Song of the Lioness quartet. The first book is Alanna: The First Adventure.

ETA: Oops, looks like BaenSidhe already beat me to it haha. Shame on me for not reading all the responses first. Pierce has 2 universes she writes about. The specific books BaenSidhe and I suggested are of opposite universes.

Last edited by odiakkoh; 03-22-2013 at 03:14 AM.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:27 AM   #26
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Oh! How about the wonderful books by E. Nesbit? Magic but low anxiety and public domain, too.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:30 AM   #27
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Dr. Dolittle
Mumins
The Borrowers

That's what I liked back then and wouldn't classify as boys-targeted
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #28
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Andre Norton wrote a lot of books suitable for that age
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #29
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Abby Carnelia's One and Only Magical Power by David Pogue. (since we are all gadgety here, you probably recognize the name: yes, the NY Times tech writer David Pogue). I read it to my daughter at bedtime, very funny book!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #30
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
At that age I read and loved two books by Kate Seredy: The Good Master and its sequel, The Singing Tree.

I have no idea whether they are available now, though maybe Abe Books would be a good place to look.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote