Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Best way to convert from Mobi to ePub?

Is there any thread that outlines this?
Whats the best way to do this right now?
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post

Is there any thread that outlines this?
Whats the best way to do this right now?
Use KindleUnpack:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61986

Also you can use Calibre but I prefer KindleUnpack, and if it's necessary, I use Sigil to polish the files produced by KindleUnpack.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I prefer the opposite approach: I build my books in Sigil and upload the resulting epub to the KDP. They convert beautifully, or anyhow with no more (and probably fewer) glitches than any other method known to me.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I prefer the opposite approach: I build my books in Sigil and upload the resulting epub to the KDP. They convert beautifully, or anyhow with no more (and probably fewer) glitches than any other method known to me.
Opposite? You mean from Epub to Mobi?
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And, what did I say? Crashnburn asked how to convert a mobi book into an epub book (not how to convert an epub in a mobi). I said him that he should use KindleUnpack (that produces epub books) and if it's necessary, to polish the resulting book in Sigil. I also say that he could use Calibre but that I prefer to use the first method. So, I say that is preferable to use (if it were necessary) Sigil
Advert
Old 06-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
Opposite? You mean from Epub to Mobi?
Yes. I start with an epub and upload it to the KDP, where it is converted to a mobi file. I never myself create a mobi file (or haven't for several years).
Old 06-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Yes. I start with an epub and upload it to the KDP, where it is converted to a mobi file. I never myself create a mobi file (or haven't for several years).
How's that help the OP who only has a mobi and would like to make an epub from it?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
Notjohn
mostly an observer

Well, it answered his question! ("Opposite? You mean from Epub to Mobi?")
Old 06-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Use KindleUnpack:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61986

Also you can use Calibre but I prefer KindleUnpack, and if it's necessary, I use Sigil to polish the files produced by KindleUnpack.
You don't happen to work for Phoenix Pick do you? Their ePub code looks just like the code was pulled from an unpacked Mobi.

Do you really unpack Mobi to make ePub? How do you deal with cleaning out the HTML and then making the CSS?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And, what did I say? Crashnburn asked how to convert a mobi book into an epub book (not how to convert an epub in a mobi). I said him that he should use KindleUnpack (that produces epub books) and if it's necessary, to polish the resulting book in Sigil. I also say that he could use Calibre but that I prefer to use the first method. So, I say that is preferable to use (if it were necessary) Sigil
Mobi does not convert to ePub using KindleUnpack. That would be KF8 (AZW3) which is not Mobi.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The way I go from Mobi > ePub is to use Calibre to convert, use Modify ePub to put in the cover and then use Sigil to rename the files and clean up the code/CSS. I find that's the easiest way to do it.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't happen to work for Phoenix Pick do you? Their ePub code looks just like the code was pulled from an unpacked Mobi.

Do you really unpack Mobi to make ePub? How do you deal with cleaning out the HTML and then making the CSS?
Hi JSWolf;

Some .mobi books -especially if they were generated with Kindlegen 2.x- have a .kf8 version AND an old .mobi version inside (all the more, files generated by the service of Kindle Direct Publishing, are .mobi files). When we use KindleUnpack to unpack that kind of files, then the KindleUnpack produces an .epub book -for the .kf8 part of the original mobi- and others files for the .mobi7 part. We must work in Sigil with the .epub generated from the .kf8 part. Of course, if the book is an old one (previous to .kf8/azw3) then things are more difficult. Still we can build an epub with the .html, .ncx and .opf generated by KindleUnpack and the epub will work in ADE but won't validate at Epubcheck. If we want to be more prolix, then as you say, we have to use a lot of regex to clean de .html and after that to write a css stylesheet.

But still in the case that we have an old mobi and we make an epub with Calibre, also will have to work with it, because the .epub generated by Calibre is not the best one that we can build and have.

Regards
Old 06-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
The way I go from Mobi > ePub is to use Calibre to convert, use Modify ePub to put in the cover and then use Sigil to rename the files and clean up the code/CSS. I find that's the easiest way to do it.
Just in the case that the mobi file is an old one For the new .mobi files, IMHO is better to use KindleUnpack and -ONLY if it's necessary- Sigil. But of course, I respect your opinion.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Just in the case that the mobi file is an old one For the new .mobi files, IMHO is better to use KindleUnpack and -ONLY if it's necessary- Sigil. But of course, I respect your opinion.
The topic of this thread is Mobi > ePub not KF8 > ePub. What you are converting isn't Mobi but KF8. The file isn't Mobi. Mobi is Mobipocket format with no other format attached to it.

So if you have a Mobi, how do you convert it to ePub?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #15
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
The topic of this thread is Mobi > ePub not KF8 > ePub. What you are converting isn't Mobi but KF8. The file isn't Mobi. Mobi is Mobipocket format with no other format attached to it.

So if you have a Mobi, how do you convert it to ePub?
Hi JSWolf;

Well, Amazon seems not to think like you When we, nowadays, get a book from the service of Kindle Direct Publishing, we get a .mobi but THAT .mobi has inside a .kf8 and a .mobi7. So we can't call .mobi anymore just the old mobi format; now there are mobis that are -simultaneously- .kf8 and .mobi7.

Now, if you consider .mobi ONLY the old .mobi format, then you are right and KindleUnpack is not the best option to convert the .mobi in .epub. But how do you know is the .mobi is a modern one or old one? The best thing is trying with KindleUnpack and to see if produces or not an .epub. If so, then we have our .epub; if not, then we can follow your indications.

Regards

Last edited by RbnJrg; 06-25-2013 at 10:54 AM.