Old 06-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Cheezykins
Cheezykins began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Changing the title field when sending to the Kindle

Hi,

I currently have my library set up like this:

Which is great, exactly what I want.

I then use the Kindle Collections plugin to create collections based on tags. But alas, the books themselves within the tags are then ordered alphabetically, which is not what I want.

So my solution so far has been to create a new field called clean title, then use a bulk find / replace to copy the title field into it, then done a second bulk find replace using the template {series} {series_index:0>2s}: {title} into the original title field, like so:

This way the books still look right in my library, but appear on the kindle in series order.

Is there a cleaner way of doing this? This new way means I have to maintain two separate title fields, and breaks things like meta data downloading.

I'd like some sort of way of replacing the title of a book with a given template when sending a book to the Kindle. I know you can do it with filename but that makes no difference to how it's displayed. Ideally what the plugin needs is a way of mapping templates against each meta data field the Kindle has, that way you could chop and change data on the Kindle vs data in your Calibre library as you wish.

Any ideas?
Cheezykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:56 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
What you want to use is called metadata plugboards. You'll find that feature in preferences->plugboards. It allows you to modify metadata fields when books are being sent to the device.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 05:26 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Following up on Manichean's suggestion, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118563. That thread shows several solutions for your problem
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
Cheezykins
Cheezykins began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Ahaa, Metadata Plugboards are -exactly- what I needed. Thank you.
Cheezykins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3, library management, meta data