Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
What book(s) did you finish even though you didn't like it?

Reading this thread, I was reminded of a book I read all the way through, even though I quickly knew I hated it. I finished beacuse I had to know if it could get worse progressively. It could. It was "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
For me it was Lord Foul's Bane by Steven R Donaldson. I hated the main character and got really annoyed by his whinging throughout the book. But, I kept thinking, "Surely it will get better. Too many people said this was a good book." But it didn't get better and when I read the last page, I felt like my time had been stolen from me.

Last edited by Elsi; 02-28-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. I forced myself to finish it and it didn't get better in the end for me.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Traffic Goddess
Traffic Goddess doesn't litterTraffic Goddess doesn't litter

Device: sony prs-700
I can't do it. If a book is that bad, it's a waste of my time. I'd rather just put it away and start on something better.
I have read some books that were great....until you get to a crappy ending. That is the worst! It's almost like the author was running up against a deadline and decided to wrap everything up in any way possible.
Traffic Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Usually; i do that, too, but in this case I wanted to finish the book just to see if kept being like it was. Actually, a crappy ending is amuch greater let down. I just read a book where ending was huge cop-out and I'd just before reading it 'prayed' that it wouldn't be what it was.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
For me that would be 'The Dreaming Void'. The author managed to jam a 600 page novel into 900 pages.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
When Late The Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm. I couldn't put the book down because of the quality of writing, and I kept slamming it against the wall because the story was so repugnant to me.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Three spring to mind:

Da Vinci Code
TimeTraders
Lord of the Rings
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Down all the Days by Christy Brown
No plot, just an adolescent boy having wet dreams/hallucinations and obsessing over breasts.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #10
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
An interesting question. I have to think: honestly how many people here actually do like reading the "classics" or rather more accurately the copyright free texts? It seems to me that the primary reason people talk about digital readers and "classics" is because those are free books. If there were not free, probably more than 50% of digital reader users would not bother with them.

As a scholar in the social sciences myself, I admit to not being attracted to the so-called classics literature and much prefer to read contemporary texts.

Last edited by thibaulthalpern; 02-28-2009 at 11:54 PM.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Silmarillian by J.R.R. Tolkien released after his death by his son. It was really heavy and dull. I plodded through it only because my Mom bought it for me. I tried his latest posthumous book released by his son (borrowed from the library) and gave up pretty quick.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #12
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
An interesting question. I have to think: honestly how many people here actually do like reading the "classics" or rather more accurately the copyright free texts? It seems to me that the primary reason people talk about digital readers and "classics" is because those are free books. If there were not free, probably more than 50% of digital reader users would not bother with them.

As a scholar in the social sciences myself, I admit to not being attracted to the so-called classics literature and much prefer to read contemporary texts (say from the 20th and 21st century).
I really don't care when a book was written, so long as I find it interesting, enjoyable or otherwise worthwhile to read. So yes, as well as modern authors such as Neal Stephenson and Thomas Pynchon I also like Jane Austen and Charles Dickens. I liked them before they were available for free on the web, too...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Silmarillian by J.R.R. Tolkien released after his death by his son. It was really heavy and dull. I plodded through it only because my Mom bought it for me. I tried his latest posthumous book released by his son (borrowed from the library) and gave up pretty quick.
It certainly was a tough read, but with some good gems in it. I had an easier time after I got a Tolkien dictionary.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #14
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
MY Life by Bill Clinton
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #15
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Dahlgren. Even though I HATED IT.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote