Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Friday's question of the Day 26 Sep 08

Anyone got a good cold remedy?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
aw ! poor pshrynk ! here are all the cold remedies i know :

- drink plenty of hot fluids. the heat is key, everything else is just bonus. even plain hot water will help.
- obviously soup or hot infusions are better. thyme infusion is good for lungs, if it's a bronchial cold. lemon and honey is good for sore throat. ginger is good for everything (boosts immune system) and can be added to any other infusion. fresh is best, if you can get it.
- did i mention ginger ? put it in everything.
- garlic is a natural antibiotic and i believe also boosts the immune system. have some garlic toast (made with fresh garlic, obviously).

once when i was sick a friend made me his "top secret" remedy. ideally you should (edit NOT see it prepared, but promise it's not nearly as disgusting as it sounds :
- red wine
- honey
- thyme
- fresh garlic
- ginger
- black pepper, or chile pepper, or chile sauce (worcestershire for instance)
- cloves
- cinnamon
- a bit of lemon juice
- you can add more ingredients depending on what spices you have around the kitchen ; pretty much any spice will be good for *something* (according to him).

put everything together in a saucepan and heat it on a low heat for a few minutes. this will help the spices to infuse and make some of the alcohol evaporate.

drink it while it's hot.

get lots of rest.
keep warm : wear a hat (and socks).
an aspirine or ibuprofen will help with the aches and pains and fever.
for god's sake, don't smoke while you're sick.

i hope you feel better soon ! it's miserable being sick.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 09-26-2008 at 12:00 PM. Reason: adding some ingredients i forgot... there are probably more.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's been going on for about four days now, which four times longer than the usual cold for me. I do not suffer well.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

four days ? pff ! when i get a cold it invariably degenerates into a sinus infection (thank you, allergies ! for making me extra fragile) and i'm lucky if i'm functional again in under three weeks !!!

i still sympathise though : i suffer badly too (i'm such a baby...) and i'm a bit under the weather this week myself, which is the worst possible timing...
Old 09-26-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Hot Toddies, chocolate biscuits, orange juice and sympathy.

I'll let you decide if The Lounge is a good place to find these....
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
1. For a runny nose, take Benadryl. (That also guarantees you will rest when it knocks you unconscious.)

2. For a sore throat, suck on Werther's Originals. If it were Day 1, I would advise keeping a zinc lozenge in your mouth, but it's no help once the cold really gets going.

3. For a cough, take a hit of an albuterol inhaler after ever coughing spell. Take cough syrup on a schedule. Neither 1 or 2 above will get better as long as you are coughing.

NOTE: If you have high blood pressure, do NONE of the above, except the Werther's. If you have high BP, you are screwed. Just plan on waiting it out another week until either it goes away or you die.

4. Finally, have mercy on your coworkers and take a sick day. Sharing is over rated.

5. Get Better Soon!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
WHISKY! In HUGE amounts!

It doesnt really cure you, but it's a hell of a lot more fun to be sick.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
WHISKY! In HUGE amounts!

It doesnt really cure you, but it's a hell of a lot more fun to be sick.
I like the way you think. I'd give you karma, but it's apparently too soon.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

pfff !!!

i forgot to mention you should wear a scarf 24 hours per day until you're better but i'm sure after slite's suggestion you'll just scoff at such nancy boy ideas.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
2. For a sore throat, suck on Werther's Originals.
I find sucking a Fishermans Friend is quite effective - they're quite strong, but the mixture of licorice and menthol helps clear the passages; and I think they're available Stateside these days.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #11
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I find sucking a Fishermans Friend is quite effective - they're quite strong, but the mixture of licorice and menthol helps clear the passages; and I think they're available Stateside these days.
Doesnt the friend of the fisherman get upset when you start sucking on him?

(Sorry, that one was to obvious to pass by)
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:18 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Doesnt the friend of the fisherman get upset when you start sucking on him?

(Sorry, that one was to obvious to pass by)
i would worry about that too. not to mention the fisherman himself. if he fishes the big fish he might have some pretty deadly clubs or something lying around...
Old 09-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #13
UKHaiku
Enthusiast
UKHaiku doesn't litterUKHaiku doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader - PRS-505
I find lots of vitamin C and zinc will help you get over a cold..

Also it can help to cut down on dairy if you're having lots of mucus / phlegm...

Drinking lots of tea will help too...
UKHaiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:51 PM   #14
radioflyertoo
Hog Rider
radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: HTC 7501
How about a good headache remedy anyone? From late sep to early feb I have a headache 9 out of ten days (not a migraine). thanks.
radioflyertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #15
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioflyertoo View Post
How about a good headache remedy anyone? From late sep to early feb I have a headache 9 out of ten days (not a migraine). thanks.
It's nothing to do with carbon monoxide from your central heating is it?

I've seen peppermint tea recommended for regular headaches, but haven't tried it myself.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
unutterable silliness