Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #16
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I had no qualms about purchasing my Kindle without a physical test drive. I purchase a lot of items the same way on the internet (with some online research, the more expensive the item, the more research). If I don't like the items, I send them back.

I think this early phase of marketing the Kindle is great. There is some mention of it on every book page on Amazon, whether there is a Kindle version of the book or not. I wouldn't be surprised if Oprah ends up adding the Kindle to her favorite things show since she and Bezos seem to be friendly (he's donated a lot of money to her charities).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #17
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
(Well, if they ever turn up at my local bookstore for me to see and touch, I may stop. But as long as all I have to go on are those photos... it's ugly 'til I say it isn't! )
If you're ever over in Ashburn, let me know and *maybe* I'll let you see my Kindle.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 06:06 PM   #18
Ebook lover
NUUT, Cybook Device
Ebook lover began at the beginning.

Device: O2
Does it matter if the predictions are overrated? As long as Amazon keep selling cheap book price for the Kindle, I will be happy
Ebook lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #19
twokatmew
Ebook Newbie
twokatmew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, and if I can get free public domain books easily for my Kindle, that and cheap Kindle books will keep me happy. Also, when my eyes get tired, I can listen to an Audible book!

Last edited by twokatmew; 05-24-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: added comment
twokatmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be honest, I think it's possible that we may soon see the demise of the Kindle and other 6" sized eink devices if we get these 9.7" devices working well. That does include the software for them and not just the hardware. What else could hurt the Kindle is Sony once they get ePub up and running on the 505 and if they get PDF viewing improved enough. Amazon is also seen as being monopolistic with Kindle eBooks since you need to own a Kindle to be able to purchase them. And the fact that no computer can view AZW is (IMHO) a major screw-up for Amazon. I would never purchase a Kindle because of all the flaws with it that are so simple to fix.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #21
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you provide more information or a link about ePub? I did a little Googling and I see it's a new standard someone (not sure who) is trying to establish. Is there an ePub site for Dummies?

I found this link that says ePub would be good for Kindle owners.

Last edited by daffy4u; 05-24-2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: added a link
Old 05-24-2008, 04:12 PM   #22
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I think there will still be a place for smaller readers even when the larger screens are available just like there are small tablets and UMPCs even though there are laptops available. I like having a small reader that's easy to carry around in my handbag. I'd like a larger one, too.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #23
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To be honest, I think it's possible that we may soon see the demise of the Kindle and other 6" sized eink devices if we get these 9.7" devices working well.
Don't think so. I am sure it will not happen until flexible screens are introduced. 9.7" screen are so unportable that they have no chance to win over 6". Just because they will not compete. They will vie for different markets.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:03 PM   #24
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Can you provide more information or a link about ePub?
See the Wiki EPUB entry. Also EPUB best practices guide.

Adobe Digital Editions is a good way to try out EPUB. They have a sample library, and FeedBooks also offer EPUB as a download option.

The publishing industry seems to be more or less behind EPUB as a source file format. Adobe DE is about using is an end user format. The problem with EPUB as an end user format is DRM (one format does not help if there are a multiple DRM providers). If the industry stopped using DRM, I would expect EPUB to quickly become the dominant (source and end user) format.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Thanks Wallcraft. I'll do some readin'.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Can you provide more information or a link about ePub? I did a little Googling and I see it's a new standard someone (not sure who) is trying to establish. Is there an ePub site for Dummies?

I found this link that says ePub would be good for Kindle owners.
Try the wiki here for information on ePUB.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:53 PM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Don't think so. I am sure it will not happen until flexible screens are introduced. 9.7" screen are so unportable that they have no chance to win over 6". Just because they will not compete. They will vie for different markets.
If history is any indication, since 1998 we have had big and small readers and the small readers were always the most popular and usually the big reader failed to produce enough sales to be continued. For more details read eBooks on the wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:38 PM   #28
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Ebook readers are still such a niche market. I love my Sony, but still lament that there are several books that I would like to read that just aren't available as ebooks. Amazon is touting the Kindle as the ipod of reading, but until you can get any book you possibly want into the Kindle(as you can with the ipod and music), and until the Kindle severely drops in price, its going to remain a niche product.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #29
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Deviating from the main quest:

Get a Pdf reader that can show correct flowing (“tagged”) Pdf’s a la Adobe Acrobat Reader for pocketpc’s (since 2002!!!!) in a 6” eBook Reader and you get the all “text” Pdf files market to that reader.
And, in the Business and Academic environment we are talking in market share of near 100%!!!

How about that?
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:07 AM   #30
cftall
"Crackers"
cftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheese

Device: cybook 3 tung-e-2 ebookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I think there will still be a place for smaller readers even when the larger screens are available just like there are small tablets and UMPCs even though there are laptops available. I like having a small reader that's easy to carry around in my handbag. I'd like a larger one, too.
I want-em all. Charlie " Crackers " Tall

Just got my Gen 3 back from Bookeen ( Line thru screen ).Great job bookeen.
2 week turn around and I used cheap shipping. no charge for replacement.
My Sony 500 had the same problem,said it was my fault 200 bucks please.no thanks sony.....Wrong Thread,, sorry,got excited
cftall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon kindle, analysts