Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-26-2013, 05:04 AM   #1
Sabaot
Sabaot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 6" v.4.1.0
Shattered output file

Hey,

I'm having a small but annoying problem with file conversion to MOBI. Output file is shattered into:

Quote:
line of text
line of text

line of text
line of text

line of text
line of text and so on.
What I'm doing:
I have original PDF file (internet source). Plain txt I copy-paste into MS Word. Then I remove all of txt formatting. At this stage I have quite nice looking wall of text (Times New Roman 12p).

I'm saving as RTF and then import into calibre. Default conversion in this particular case gives me shattered output file like quoted above. And I cannot find a reason. I have converted in such way multiple PDFs and results were ok. True - sometimes I had shattered output text but always I managed to fixed that (most common reason was that I forgot to remove txt formatting in Word). Other times altering some options in calibre itself fixed issues.

But now I'm lost. Whatever I'm doing I get the same shattered result.

If somewhere in the forum solution exist , please direct me there and apologies in advance for multithreading.

If anyone knows any magical voo-doo trick that solves my issue - you have my sincere thanks as I'm in the middle of 5-book story and cannot advance

PS. My device: Kindle 4, calibre v.0.8.68 (portable)

--- edit ---
Two things:
1. I have converted into AZW3 - same issue
2. I have converted into .TXT - shattering is gone tho almost every 2nd line end int the middle of the page. Readable, less annoying but still far from comfortable :/

Last edited by Sabaot; 06-26-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Sabaot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Sabaot - there are several threads in this forum about converting from Word.

If you you have tabs or empty paragraphs in RTF files you will get unsatisfactory results. Get rid of the tabs and blank paragraphs by using Paragraph formatting for things like indents and paragraph spacing etc. And use the heading styles that come with Word for Headings.

If you have Word 2007/10/13 I recommend saving the document as DOCX and using the DOCX conversion feature that's been recently added to the core Calibre code.

DOCX files are typically 90% smaller than the equivalent RTF - ie a 150KB RTF will be more like a 15KB DOCX, the conversion (to EPUB at least) is much faster and the output (to EPUB at least) is very faithful to the DOCX file as seen in Word, and the EPUB is amenable to editing via Tweak Books or Sigil - which IMO is not true with conversions from RTF, there were so many MS artefacts that the text was almost impossible to find.

I'm pretty sure you will see similar advantages if you convert the DOCX to AZW3

The key thing is get rid of the tabs and empty paragraphs and use Words Styling facilities and if you can create DOCX's then I suggest you do that. I'm in the process of converting 20,000+ RTF's to DOCX and recreating the 20,000+ EPUBS.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
The latest version of calibre can accept docx files, directly.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote