Notices

Old 11-24-2016, 04:55 AM   #1
Atelier59
Atelier59 began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD6
Lightbulb No components updates on Fire HD 6

Hello all!

Glad to publish here my first post.
I've got one question concerning my Fire HD 6.
Since a couple of weeks, my tablet can't find components updates. I've made the last OS updates by USB (Fire OS 5.3.1.1). All seems ok. I receive my contents (books, magazines...) without troubles. But no components updates. Because of that, kindle and music app or Silk have not been updated. It's quite annoying, especially for the kindle app !!

I've already wipe all the content by a reseting to factory defaults, without success.

Any idea?

Thanks!!
Atelier59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

You can contact Customer Support, though they likely have no clue. I know several people in this forum have had issues getting component updates, specifically the Kindle Page Flip feature. There seems to be no logical reason why. Some of us are getting component updates, but others are not. I just checked my Fire HD 6 and found I had two component updates to install, although it gave me absolutely no information on what they are. I installed them though, but obviously the Fire HD 6 is having some update issues IMO.
Advert
Old 11-24-2016, 09:27 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
What version of the Kindle reading app do you have? (In the Settings app go to: Apps & Games -> Manage All Applications -> swipe left multiple times to the "All" tab -> scroll down to "Amazon Kindle". Select this app to show the version number.)

Fire OS 5.3.1.0 and 5.3.1.1 come with Amazon Kindle version 10.11_1197791110. The latest version is 10.16.62_1198819010, which corresponds to Kindle for Android version 7.4.

Another HD6 user reported a similar problem in this thread. I don't know whether the problem was ever resolved.

I do know that Amazon requires a secure connection to download component updates. If your Wi-Fi connects via a proxy you may have problems.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #4
Atelier59
Atelier59 began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD6
Bonsoir!

Thanks for your answers. Indeed, I've also read this thread about the lack of Pages Flip on the Fire HD6 of another user.
I've checked the version of my kindle app : 10.11_1197791110.
This lack of update is identical for my Music app for example.

That's really strange. I don't like not to understand how this update process works (or don't work in this case!)
Atelier59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Fire OS 5.3.1.0 and 5.3.1.1 come with Amazon Kindle version 10.11_1197791110. The latest version is 10.16.62_1198819010, which corresponds to Kindle for Android version 7.4.
My Kindle version is 10.17.100_1199027610 running Fire OS 5.3.1.1. So your latest version info must be out of date now.
Advert
Old 12-04-2016, 07:43 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
My Kindle version is 10.17.100_1199027610 running Fire OS 5.3.1.1. So your latest version info must be out of date now.
Strange. I have checked for new component updates every day and have received several, but I STILL have Amazon Kindle version 10.16 running on my 5th gen Fire tablet with OS 5.3.2.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Strange. I have checked for new component updates every day and have received several, but I STILL have Amazon Kindle version 10.16 running on my 5th gen Fire tablet with OS 5.3.2.
I just checked and as of 11:59am CST on 5 Dec 2016 my Kindle version on my 4th generation Fire HD 6 is 10.18.74_1199229810. I'm pretty sure even Amazon has no clue as to what they are doing. They seem to hire the dumbest programmers in the world and have some of the most out of touch executives when it comes to Kindle stuff.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:19 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I'm having this issue with my Fire HD6. It doesn't sync properly, for one, which makes it a 'no go' device for me and the thought of ever getting a new Fire tablet is unpleasant. I think their best people (since Fire Phone was killed) have all moved on to Echo, Fire TV etc., or to other companies. They aren't making any money on low price devices, so they cannot afford to pay developers to improve them. Note that Fire OS is now 2 releases behind Android. They used to be only 1 behind, but without development resources it is likely to go to 3 before the next major Fire OS update.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

My Fire HD 6 does seem to update well, but that is about all it does well. The screen is way off on touch. I have to touch a 1/4" (6mm) above the items I want to select. And the touch is not very sensitive nor the screen very responsive. The device feels incredibly sluggish, especially the Alexa app. The Alexa and Kindle apps are way better on my iOS thingies. It is just made too cheaply. It was an impulse buy. I won't be having any more impulses to buy Fire tablets or Kindle eInks again though.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Sounds like you got a dud. We have three in the house, and my mom has one, and none of them have the touch screen issues you describe. They can be slow, particularly immediately after connecting the wifi. Really good for reading on, IMO.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I just checked and as of 11:59am CST on 5 Dec 2016 my Kindle version on my 4th generation Fire HD 6 is 10.18.74_1199229810.
I have been checking for component updates daily and just now received version 10.18.74_1199229810 of the Amazon Kindle app. They must have a system that rolls out these updates gradually. I know that they do that for e-ink Kindle firmware.

Now I see on Amazon's Source Code Notice page that Fire OS 5.3.2.1 is coming. I wonder how long that will take to arrive.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I have been checking for component updates daily and just now received version 10.18.74_1199229810 of the Amazon Kindle app. They must have a system that rolls out these updates gradually. I know that they do that for e-ink Kindle firmware.

Now I see on Amazon's Source Code Notice page that Fire OS 5.3.2.1 is coming. I wonder how long that will take to arrive.
How exactly are you 'checking for component updates'?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #13
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
How exactly are you 'checking for component updates'?
Settings -> Device Options -> System Updates -> Check Now

(I did it just now and got another system component update.)
Old 12-13-2016, 10:24 AM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

I get messages occasionally that a component updated, but I don't think it ever states which one. Kind of annoying. At least mine seems to get component updates fairly often, even without having to check for them.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:54 AM   #15
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I get messages occasionally that a component updated, but I don't think it ever states which one. Kind of annoying.
If you are expecting a specific change, as with the Amazon Kindle app, you can check the app version after the component update to see if it has changed.

I have also used "adb logcat" to see what updates were installed, but this is not at all user-friendly.

Last edited by jhowell; 12-13-2016 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typo