Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #1936
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Wow. Kobo UK has Hitchhiker's 1-5 as an omnibus for 11,25 pounds. It becomes half that using the current code.

Normally this stuff costs $40 for the omnibus, or $9 per book, at Amazon.

*cringe*
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #1937
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Wow. Kobo UK has Hitchhiker's 1-5 as an omnibus for 11,25 pounds. It becomes half that using the current code.

Normally this stuff costs $40 for the omnibus, or $9 per book, at Amazon.
I'm safe from this one. I bought my copy at Fictionwise back in September 2010 for just $7.23.

But shouldn't you be posting this in the Free/Bargain Science Fiction/Fantasy thread?

(just posted it there.)

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-05-2013 at 03:16 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #1938
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been looking at my stats. I've managed to reduce my TBR by 4 so far this year. And that's only because I've discarded some and read some freebies.

In terms of bought books, I've bought 12 more than I've read so far this year....
Old 10-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #1939
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm safe from this one. I bought my copy at Fictionwise back in September 2010 for just $7.23.

But shouldn't you be posting this in the Free/Bargain Science Fiction/Fantasy thread?

(just posted it there.)
In that case, I think about every Kobo book I look at could be posted there

But you're right, Kobo seems to be unusually cheap with that set at this moment. In the Dutch store it's still €25, almost twice as much as the UK price; and Amazon's prices are through the roof.

Thanks for posting it there

I actually bought a boxed set of this stuff a long time ago (just after the movie released), and got that for €7.50.

edit: just bought it. €6.81 for over a 1000 pages to read is not a bad deal. (PS: It's DRM-free, for people who care about that.) I'll have to split it up tough, as I don't like omnibusses. Too big, even as an ebook.

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-05-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #1940
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
I've been looking at my stats. I've managed to reduce my TBR by 4 so far this year. And that's only because I've discarded some and read some freebies.

In terms of bought books, I've bought 12 more than I've read so far this year....
See, I told you Kobo coupons were evil. <G>

I was doing really well until they came along. In some ways, I'm actually rather glad they stopped working for the Evil5. I'd have bought more...
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #1941
BrianRS
BrianRS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
What have Alcohol, Cigarettes and Books Got in Common?

Quote:
Getting hold of books to read isn't our problem in this thread.
No I am beginning to understand that, I guess an addiction is an addiction whether it is books, alcohol or cigarettes. So no point me making suggestions, the only ones that can do anything about it are the ones suffering from it. So I am going to butt out.
BrianRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #1942
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I think I should say that I used 'addict' in the title of this thread as a bit of hyperbole. It's certainly not equivalent to an addiction to cigarettes or alcohol.

Having said that, I also have to report that so far this month I've bought 19 books and only read five. And in September I bought 36 and only read 20.

But they were all books by authors I like, and at a good discount. I will enjoy reading them all.... eventually.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #1943
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRS View Post
No I am beginning to understand that, I guess an addiction is an addiction whether it is books, alcohol or cigarettes. So no point me making suggestions, the only ones that can do anything about it are the ones suffering from it. So I am going to butt out.
I love buying ebooks I want to read when they are on sale or free, and I do read them (eventually). I've loaned books I haven't yet read through Amazon's loan feature, so others benefit. It is an 'addiction' that doesn't break the bank, harm my health, worry my family, or clutter my home. Each month I spend probably half what others spend on cable television or going to movies. Books enrich my life immeasurably and I'm not suffering.

I read more than ten books each month. By having a good selection of books purchased cheaply I have plenty to read without having to pay full price each time I want to read a book. The guidelines suggested in this thread have allowed me to make wiser purchasing decisions.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #1944
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I love buying ebooks I want to read when they are on sale or free, and I do read them (eventually). I've loaned books I haven't yet read through Amazon's loan feature, so others benefit. It is an 'addiction' that doesn't break the bank, harm my health, worry my family, or clutter my home. Each month I spend probably half what others spend on cable television or going to movies. Books enrich my life immeasurably and I'm not suffering.

I read more than ten books each month. By having a good selection of books purchased cheaply I have plenty to read without having to pay full price each time I want to read a book. The guidelines suggested in this thread have allowed me to make wiser purchasing decisions.
Totally agree!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #1945
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Hubs today confessed in a guilty tone, that he had over 1,000 books on his reading device. When I told him there were threads on forums about ebook addiction he looked stunned - he had no idea he was not alone.
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #1946
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Elliot View Post
Hubs today confessed in a guilty tone, that he had over 1,000 books on his reading device. When I told him there were threads on forums about ebook addiction he looked stunned - he had no idea he was not alone.
I hope you advised him to sign up with MobileRead, and join us in this thread.

[PS: Did you confess how many ebooks you had?]
Old 10-14-2013, 04:36 AM   #1947
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
But they were all books by authors I like, and at a good discount. I will enjoy reading them all.... eventually.
Live expectancies keep rising, so I expect to have at least another 80 years for reading
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #1948
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

The Sainsbury's daily £0.99 offers are getting to me. I now have three more unread paid-for ebooks to read than I did at the start of the year....
Old 10-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #1949
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
At the moment I have to really want something even to pay 99p for it.

I thought I was doing so well in October, with just two items from my wishlist that went free for a day, but I now realise it was just because I wasn't putting myself in temptation's way. I visited a couple of second-hand bookstores just now, and came away with three books (two award-winners not currently available as ebooks, and one I've had on my wishlist for ages and thought 50p was too good to pass up (ebook £6.99).)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #1950
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
At the moment I have to really want something even to pay 99p for it.
You're right. I've been a bit lax this month. I must do better, and not buy any that aren't by authors I really like.