Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #1831
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I just bought Wellington: The Iron Duke by Richard Holmes.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #1832
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Just the two books today ...and I'm on holiday and can't connect my Kindle...read into that what you may.
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #1833
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Now I have all my books in calibre, along with purchase date, I can see how many I've been buying over the past decade:

2002: 88
2003: 221
2004: 134
2005: 222
2006: 169
2007: 174
2008: 395 (DRM removal tool become available)
2009: 247
2010: 114
2011: 195 (June 2011: started this thread)
2012: 134
2013: 114 (so far)

I can't really see any pattern. But an average per year of about 190. In which case, I've been doing pretty well since I started this thread.

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-25-2013 at 03:43 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #1834
Rita Lee Chapman
rchapman1
Rita Lee Chapman began at the beginning.

Device: e-reader
When you think how much people pay for trashy magazines, at least our e-book buying is often educational and always great entertainment.
Rita Lee Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:17 AM   #1835
superairwolf
superairwolf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Whew. And I was concerned that my 121 books in my PW waiting to be read was already apocalyptic!
superairwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #1836
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I can't really see any pattern. But an average per year of about 190. In which case, I've been doing pretty well since I started this thread.
The thread helps. Doesn't stop me, but slows me down a bit and makes me think first. Sometimes I still buy it. But other times I just add it to my wishlist and watch for the price to come down. (I have a half dozen books in my wish list right now that are marked "Don't buy until price is below $xx." Others I've managed to get from the library and didn't buy at all. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #1837
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
This thread has helped me, also. Now I always check the library before buying anything I think I must read, and I add books to my wish list for at least a cooling down period. I rationalize purchases by the satisfying idea that I am a good supporter of writers and publishers.

Full disclosure: I bought 3 books today not available at the library. One, The Rebels of Ireland by Edward Rutherford ($13.99) I've wanted since checking out from the library and reading The Princes of Ireland two weeks ago. It wasn't available from the library as an ebook. I'm reading it now and am very happy.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:30 AM   #1838
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
This thread helps a bit, but probably not enough to offset all the recommendations in the rest of the forum.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #1839
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
This thread helps a bit, but probably not enough to offset all the recommendations in the rest of the forum.
Indeed

I think I bought thirty or so this year so far. I already read about ten of them, so that's not too bad.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #1840
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Now I have all my books in calibre, along with purchase date, I can see how many I've been buying over the past decade:

Very nice.

Do you have breakdown numbers for what was purchased where? (Amazon, Kobo, freebies, etc.?)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #1841
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:

Wow! That's what I call organised. I think I'd rather use the time compiling the data to buy more books!
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #1842
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@pdurrant: 2,207?!?

I had to go back and look. I've only had an eReader since mid-2011. For eBook purchases:
2011: 14
2012: 27
2013: 8

For a grand total of 49. That's a lot of books for me to purchase so I believe that the eReader has increased the number of books I've purchased.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #1843
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I rarely bought new paper books before purchasing my first ereader preferring to use the library or second-hand book stores. Now ebooks are an important and too large part of my budget. What is it about ereaders that triggers compulsive buying (hoarding)?

Second, and possibly more accurate, question: What is it about Calibre that triggers this new behavior besides the pleasure of all my books so nicely displayed?
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #1844
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Do you have breakdown numbers for what was purchased where? (Amazon, Kobo, freebies, etc.?)
Yes.

From the Author: 76
Amazon: 81
Baen: 820
Books on Board: 56
CyberRead: 2
Dragon Moon Publishing: 1
Fictionwise: 1137
Humble Bundle: 1
Kobo: 16
Pan Macmillan: 1
Phoenix Pick: 3
Pottermore: 8
Smashwords: 5
Sony: 1
Waterstones: 4
WHSmith: 2
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #1845
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
wow...way more organized {cough - ocd} that I am...and i thought I kept things just so
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote