Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #91
mikehill33
mikehill33 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
hello all, from what I have read, BN is restricting this to titles you have purchased directly from them.

so basically we have 3 screens of dead space. I have a ton of books, pdfs, white papers, but can't even put on the home screen.
mikehill33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #92
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehill33 View Post
hello all, from what I have read, BN is restricting this to titles you have purchased directly from them.
so basically we have 3 screens of dead space. I have a ton of books, pdfs, white papers, but can't even put on the home screen.
That's correct. You can only put BN purchased content on your home screen unless you root your NC. However, display of covers in your library will work for sideloaded books if you follow the tips in this thread. Hopefully BN will do an update that fixes the cover issue. I would not be surprised if they do not allow sideload content on the home screen in the future. That remains to be seen...
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #93
Gdzhlpr
Connoisseur
Gdzhlpr began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziflin View Post
So far, converting epub to epub trick works best for me. It seems to 'clean up' the file layout of the epub and makes it consistent. It has cleaned up the 'cover' tag problems in every book that I've tried so far and it's easy to batch covert to fix the rest.

To those people adding My Files/Books to the device output path: Why was this needed? Calibre is placing everything I send to the device in this directory already and adding that simply created 2 more subdirectories under "My Files/Books". I'm not sure if this is something that selecting the "Nook Color" from Preferences/Common Options/Page Setup did automatically or what.
Thanks, you just explained those annoying extra folders. When I added the line to calibre it would place my sideloaded books in my library. now that I rooted nc my covers are a hit and miss so I need to do the epub to epub and reload.

any tips on using the sd card? If I load to card they do not show up in the library only under my files.

Last edited by Gdzhlpr; 01-14-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Gdzhlpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #94
sundawg56
sundawg56 began at the beginning.

What exactly are you meaning with "side loaded" books? I have purchased books from Kobo ( usually cheaper than B&N ) and put them on my "home" screen. The covers are all generic b&w. I forgot how I added them, and now that I have read them, I am looking for a way to remove them. I would also like to remove the Nook Color User Guide & Quick Guide.
sundawg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #95
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
The B&N books can be removed from the Home Screen by archiving them. I wonder if you could archive those you loaded from Kobo.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #96
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I had about 40 books out of 200 (thankfully I didn't load them all on yet) that had no covers showing. I ended up doing everything mentioned here, epub to epub, epub to mobi to epub, I checked the path in Calibre and added what was posted way back, I even deleted some books and tried to re-convert to calibre with a cover I downloaded and added, I tweaked the epub and made sure it said cover and not cover1 etc and checked the rest of it, I even went through and side loaded by dragging them to my books in my NC.

After all of that I got half to show up and the other half just won't no matter what I try. It is driving me crazy. I usually don't have these many problems with trying to figure things out or getting something to work.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #97
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I had about 40 books out of 200 (thankfully I didn't load them all on yet) that had no covers showing. I ended up doing everything mentioned here, epub to epub, epub to mobi to epub, I checked the path in Calibre and added what was posted way back, I even deleted some books and tried to re-convert to calibre with a cover I downloaded and added, I tweaked the epub and made sure it said cover and not cover1 etc and checked the rest of it, I even went through and side loaded by dragging them to my books in my NC.

After all of that I got half to show up and the other half just won't no matter what I try. It is driving me crazy. I usually don't have these many problems with trying to figure things out or getting something to work.
It's frustrating. I don't know why the ebook reader apps have no trouble displaying the covers. Is this bug fixed in the 1.1 update?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #98
tacheson
tacheson began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
I'm going to guess that maybe it has something to do with the original size of the images and possibly the resolution too.
I have no proof or unit testing to confirm this theory, but it is one of those things that could be and probably is different between all your book cover images. How Nook is dealing with those differences could be the source of the problem.
tacheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #99
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacheson View Post
I'm going to guess that maybe it has something to do with the original size of the images and possibly the resolution too.
I have no proof or unit testing to confirm this theory, but it is one of those things that could be and probably is different between all your book cover images. How Nook is dealing with those differences could be the source of the problem.
Maybe. But I went to B&N and saved all my covers to convert the epubs I was having problems with again to epub, so all the covers were relatively the same size. Some showed up, some didn't.

Also, I saved all of the new WoT ebook covers in high resolution and those covers worked, and at the same time I have had very small cover images work.

I notice that most that aren't showing up are B&N books where I have changed the metadata. I always change the title with the series first. These seem to be the problem right now. They work on my classic nook though. It's very frustrating.

Last edited by Care; 01-28-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #100
Gdzhlpr
Connoisseur
Gdzhlpr began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacheson View Post
very interesting, If memory serves me there is a setting in calibre to reduce the cover graphic. I don't have time to check today but maybe tonight. Considering I am just happy I got my Nook rooted I kind of gave up on this issue. I may take a look. If anyone tries before me please post your findings ASAP. I know you wouldnt want me to troubleshoot for hours which I know we all tend to do just to make it work
Gdzhlpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #101
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

Device: nook
Hi,
I wrote a new app for nookColor that fixes some of the cover issues.
If you have cover inside the epub or a cover image file with same name as the book ( the way calibre copies), it will update the database with the correct cover and covers will show up in B&N library and home screen. This should work for pdf & doc files as well.
You can also add sideloaded books to B&N home screen.
App is still beta version and I still have lots of testing to do before B&N opens their app store. But you can give it a try and give feedback.

http://nookdevs.com/NookColorFileManager

Thanks
hharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #102
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
sounds great, will it allow me to delete those two stupid nook (guide and manual) books that come built into the system? if so how ? :-)
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:35 PM   #103
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I have been playing with that app.. and I rather like it, being able to connect to other computers on my network is rather useful. Also being able to place sideloaded books on your home screen (if you are using the standard desktop) works like a dream, just like the B&N books... too bad I use ADW launcher so that really does not work for me :-)

when you copy a file from a network computer to the NC ..it would be nice to be able to see the transfer rate so you know when it's been completed ...just an idea ..

I found where those pesky B&N guides are kept...... and then deleted them (using another app) those who also have been looking at getting them off your NC, you will find them in /system/media/books

thanks for the app
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #104
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hharan View Post
Hi,
I wrote a new app for nookColor that fixes some of the cover issues.
If you have cover inside the epub or a cover image file with same name as the book ( the way calibre copies), it will update the database with the correct cover and covers will show up in B&N library and home screen. This should work for pdf & doc files as well.
You can also add sideloaded books to B&N home screen.
App is still beta version and I still have lots of testing to do before B&N opens their app store. But you can give it a try and give feedback.

http://nookdevs.com/NookColorFileManager

Thanks
Very nice app. Well laid out; not overwhelming. Good "help" screen.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #105
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

Device: nook
Thanks. I'll try to add that in the next version.
hharan is offline   Reply With Quote