Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: November 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Old Man's War by John Scalzi 26 29.21%
The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi 10 11.24%
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy By Douglas Adams 25 28.09%
City At World's End by Edmond Hamilton 2 2.25%
Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke 2 2.25%
A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge 5 5.62%
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell 3 3.37%
The Man in the High Castle by Philp K. Dick 7 7.87%
A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr. 6 6.74%
Time's Eye by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter 3 3.37%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waba View Post
Come on guys, everyone and their Grandma has read HHGTTG -let's branch out here a little bit!
That's quite an assumption. I know for a fact that none of my grandmothers have read this book.

There are many "classic" SF novels I have yet to read myself. Even though I consider it one of my favorite genre's.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #17
VapidRapidReader
VapidRapidReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
It doesn't show up on Inkmesh, but The Windup Girl is also available at Baen's Websctiption.
VapidRapidReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Give Time's Eye a go. You may find you really enjoy it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #19
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I haven't.
Me neither...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #20
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Voted for A Fire Upon the Deep because of an intriguing review I read of the content available in its ebook Special Edition:
http://books.slashdot.org/books/03/09/18/0411259.shtml
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #21
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm indebted to this thread for informing me that Childhood's End is available as a PDF ebook... now added to my collection (and converted from PDF to ePub, plus a cover created for it... how could they not put out a cover?).

I believe the version available from this thread's link is the only version, and the only source of it. At least, I've looked in the past and never found another version. But then, I'd never found this one...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:47 AM   #22
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Give Time's Eye a go. You may find you really enjoy it.
Just finished The Light of Other Days, from the same authors, and I'm looking forward to it.

Spoiler:
It has a chance: to win The Hitchiker Guide needs a number of votes exactly equal to: 42!

Last edited by Format C:; 10-26-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #23
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
I'm indebted to this thread for informing me that Childhood's End is available as a PDF ebook... now added to my collection (and converted from PDF to ePub, plus a cover created for it... how could they not put out a cover?).

I believe the version available from this thread's link is the only version, and the only source of it. At least, I've looked in the past and never found another version. But then, I'd never found this one...
I have a large print mobipocket version that was being given away for free a couple of years ago.

http://ebooks.ebookmall.com/ebook/278439-ebook.htm
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I have a large print mobipocket version that was being given away for free a couple of years ago.

http://ebooks.ebookmall.com/ebook/278439-ebook.htm
That link says "Kindle compatible"... does that mean it is DRM free?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #25
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobits View Post
It is good, though I found my favorite version of it the radio drama oddly enough.
Same here. The voice actors are just superb in that.

I still need to make up a cover for my reader that has "Don't Panic" in large, friendly letters.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #26
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
Just finished The Light of Other Days, from the same authors, and I'm looking forward to it.

It has a chance: to win The Hitchiker Guide needs a number of votes exactly equal to: ##!
You should have used the spoiler button for that comment.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post

It has a chance: to win The Hitchiker Guide needs a number of votes exactly equal to: 42!
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:21 AM   #27
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Man in the High Castle is one of PK Dick's more accessible works, which isn't to say that it's mainstream, there's still plenty to think about. I'm ready for a re-read, and I'd love to discuss his ideas with others.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:34 AM   #28
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
awwwwkkkk!! What happened to Wind-up Girl!! She was keeping it close then *poof* she is falling off the pace...come-on guys...we need a good dystopian story set in the post-oil era exotic city of Bangkok with all the looks at what a society might do when sudden change happens. I am sure it has everything casting a jaundiced eye on morals, religion, interpersonal relationships and might even let us question if how we do things today is not a waste of our ever so short lives. Now doesn't that sound FUN?

...then again Old Mar's War would be nice too as I haven't read it either.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:40 AM   #29
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That's quite an assumption. I know for a fact that none of my grandmothers have read this book.

There are many "classic" SF novels I have yet to read myself. Even though I consider it one of my favorite genre's.

BOb
Bob... Please vote for The Hitchiker Guide, if it turns out to be a tie --- just so the 'rest of us' can read it...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:49 AM   #30
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
You should have used the spoiler button for that comment.
Edited.

But I don't think it was actually a spoiler, because it was completely out of context.
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote