Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #16
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
What version of fbreader does open inkpot use?
Hmm, not sure. There's no point telling you what's on my device 'cos I just installed a daily build :-). It looks like it should be something between 10.3 and 10.7:

<http://openinkpot.org/pub/oi/pool/media/f/fbreader/>

I hope that is specific enough to be useful.
sourcejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #17
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcejedi View Post
Hmm, not sure. There's no point telling you what's on my device 'cos I just installed a daily build :-). It looks like it should be something between 10.3 and 10.7:

<http://openinkpot.org/pub/oi/pool/media/f/fbreader/>

I hope that is specific enough to be useful.
Yep, that's fairly recent. FBReader is on 12.2 right now.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:15 AM   #18
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

Device: Woxter Scriba 150, pocketbook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcejedi View Post
Yes, I'm very happy with it. I've been "stuck" with it for months. (I can't re-flash the original firmware). If you're happy with FBReader, you should be happy with OpenInkpot. (E.g. no DRM. You can install FBReader on your computer to give it a try)

The UsersGuide on the wiki is accurate, at least about the book-reading features you can expect. (The images are a bit unreadable, but they get bigger if you click on them).

I wouldn't use Calibre with it, at least to start with. Calibre is somewhat unsubtle when it comes to converting e-books. The default settings appear to force justification but prevent hyphenation, which can get rather ugly.

There's one crash bug I noticed in 0.2 - FBReader crashes when a hyperlink is too wide to fit on the screen. It's fixed in the unstable version 0.3-rc1.

The hardest part is installing OpenInkpot. As the FAQ says, it's not possible to "brick" the device. But some people find they can't re-install the original firmware. Nate had to try several times before the installation succeeded; we don't know why. Judging by the forums, many people seem to be using it. AFAIK no-one has reported complete failure. So any risks are currently theoretical.

I'd worry more about the possibility of being stuck with the original firmware :-). The original firmware may have DRM support and a sound recorder, but apart from that it's strictly inferior.
A few days ago, I installed an update of the original firmware from the Woxter web page, and I lost my menus (fortunately, not the books), so I'm thinking seriously about the OI.
Who can I ask for help here if fail to install it? Have you got it installed, which version?

Thank you in advance
anabelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:57 AM   #19
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabelee View Post
A few days ago, I installed an update of the original firmware from the Woxter web page, and I lost my menus (fortunately, not the books), so I'm thinking seriously about the OI.
Who can I ask for help here if fail to install it? Have you got it installed, which version?

Thank you in advance
I am reminded of the need to demand original install media for our operating systems.

I'm still here . If you ask for help on this topic it'll email me, or if you start a new thread you can PM me and it'll do the same.

I originally installed 0.2, but only succeeded by using the "new azbooka usbboot". In case you have the same issue, it might be less confusing to do the initial install with the latest daily build (which will have the new usbboot), and then use a "reinstall" image to install a stable version like 0.2.
sourcejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:16 AM   #20
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

The question is, I'm not a english speaker, and technical explanations... they are very hard to me. I'm sure that OI is superior to the firmware on my ebook reader, but of course I'm very unsure about not coming back to it if something fails. I'm windows user, and openoffice, but know nothing about programming and command line, and this is what worries me.
By the way, my reader is ok now, so it's possible that I'll wait a bit while I continue learning from your forums.
Thank you, sourcejedi, I'll contact you for any doubt.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #21
calvin
DRM remover
calvin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, 4 & Touch, iPhone/iPad, Hanvon N516 (OpenInkpot)
@anabelee
2 Question to you. I have read that you use the spanish woxter version of the n516.
On which firmware version you are? I have seen on the woxter page that there are two different version one 2.2.9.2 and one 2.5.2.. I can't find any readme about the difference. Any tip for me? Or should I migrate to OI too

calvin
calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #22
anabelee
Zealot

Well, sorry for answer so late, I was on travel.

I have a new Scriba with original firmware at this moment. I couldn't decide to install OI without coming back if failed, so I contacted Woxter and they did change my unit for a new one. Today, I was informed that there is another update, with interesting features, but I have not tried it yet.
I'll write about if finally I try it.