Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-16-2008, 04:56 AM   #1
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Why, Oh Why! [RANT]

[RANT]
I succumbed and loaded one of the books from Tor on my Cybook. Bad, bad, bad idea. I finished it and went online to get the sequel - but guess what? NO EBOOK VERSIONS.
Right now I'm feeling furious and ready to dive into the Darknet and get it. It would be soooo easy - but I'm trying to be a good guy (ok good girl) here and pay what's due but my monies are apparently not good enough.
And no, I will not buy paperback. I don't want to litter my house with useless paper anymore if I can help it.
[/RANT]

I think I'll go and bash some soil samples - nothing like a hammer in a hand and room full of things you can bash to hell and back...

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:52 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
well, i doubt it's much consolation, but plenty of other people have had this exact same rant (including me)... it's enraging isn't it ? if it's from Tor, perhaps you can hope that the sequel will *soon* be available, since they seem to be getting interested in ebooks. perhaps it would be helpful to write a letter to the publisher, telling them just exactly how you feel ; possibly it would make you feel better, and if you're *really* lucky it might even motivate them to publish an ebook of the sequel... (we can dream right ?)

in any case, i envy you your hammer. could i borrow it from time to time ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2008, 07:02 AM   #3
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Device: A FREE (!!!) replacement cybook gen 3
You can always get it from the Dark Side, read it, and pay for it whenever it can be bought officially !! (yield ... YIEEEEEELD ....)
WDecraene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDecraene View Post
You can always get it from the Dark Side, read it, and pay for it whenever it can be bought officially !! (yield ... YIEEEEEELD ....)
Which is exactly what I do. And, I'm not about to stop.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Tor will launch a new site soon, won't it? Maybe a brand new eBook store is included...
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Tis is my biggest frustration with e-books. Some really vital to the story line books are missing from some of my favorite series.

And don't get me started on the almost complete absence of Heinlein.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #7
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Tis is my biggest frustration with e-books. Some really vital to the story line books are missing from some of my favorite series.

And don't get me started on the almost complete absence of Heinlein.
WebScriptions seems to be rolling out some of the older Heinlein now. I don't know if there are complications with his estate or if his publishers just don't see a market for his books. Such a shame, since his books are definitely in my "re-read every couple of years" camp. And, his juvenile SF would definitely be good to introduce to a middle-schooler.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I had this exact same reaction in re: "The Old Man's War" by John Scalzi. Hey, enjoyed the freebie, thank you immensely, the ploy worked, because here I am at your site ready to buy the other 2 or 3 or 15 in the series... whaddya mean you they aren't available as ebooks!?

So far I've sent three emails to MacMillan on their site, where you can buy directly from them, asking after availability of ebook editions. Not only do they not answer, they don't even auto-answer. Let's hope TOR's much-announced "new site" is enough of a good thing to overcome the negative taste they're leaving in our mouths. If it's any consolation, oooh, they have a MySpace page! Maybe they'll sell me books if I'm their Friend?

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 06-16-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:45 PM   #9
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I think I'll yield to the temptation myself. And when it gets available I'll buy it... if I can get it in adequate format, of course.

DrS
Old 06-16-2008, 11:52 PM   #10
Vesper
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
in any case, i envy you your hammer. could i borrow it from time to time ?
Feel free to drop in anytime. I have 1 small and 1 medium rubber one and 2 kg and 8 kg classics
Old 06-17-2008, 07:37 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
Feel free to drop in anytime. I have 1 small and 1 medium rubber one and 2 kg and 8 kg classics
ooh, thank you. i can tell this will be cathartic already.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #12
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
If it's any consolation, oooh, they have a MySpace page! Maybe they'll sell me books if I'm their Friend?
I laughed. While they're Web 2.0'ing it up, maybe their "new site" could be a YouTube channel called "TorProductions." It could have a custom background image and really cool font colors, and they could use Microsoft Movie Maker to make cool slideshows of their new books with fun wipes and hard rock songs from 2002.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #13
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Tor will launch a new site soon, won't it? Maybe a brand new eBook store is included...
TOR has indicated that the new site will be a "community" site for fandom, etc. No one has been able to get them to say anything about a store for eBooks.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:52 AM   #14
Vesper
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
TOR has indicated that the new site will be a "community" site for fandom, etc. No one has been able to get them to say anything about a store for eBooks.
... and I'm still trying to understand why are they giving away all these ebooks that are parts of serial available only in paper. Perhaps to raise the level of frustration in ebook-reading-masses in hopes of turning them away from their blasphemous ways toward the blessed paper...

DrS

Last edited by Vesper; 06-18-2008 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Clicking too early :P
Old 06-18-2008, 09:25 AM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
uh......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Is this something I should know about? Not that I ever ever would.......but............
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment