Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
greenclaws
greenclaws began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Sorry Mark, I meant which version of the firmware that causes the MD5 error do I compare to the one in Data. But I do like all of your thinking that came from what I said.

When I put the PRS+ installer on the reader yesterday, it asked me if I wanted to do a factory reset. As it was something new for a change I said yes. It was in fact a bad idea because now it's gone back to the way it was when I was at the start of the thread, it doesn't let me access the drives and it requires 10 resets to be receptive to the Hack 300 Update, does the update and then goes back to 'Opening book..' only.

When it was reading the drives and I used Hack 300 Updater it was strange as it would say
New Software version 1.6.00.18040
Current Software version 1.1.00.16800 or something similar
It struck me as odd as the only successful firmware version I'd put on it is the one through Hack 300 Updater so it should have matched the 'New software version'
greenclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:02 AM   #17
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Sorry to hear it got worse.

As MD5 is checked against the *.img in /tmp/self_update/ you will have to copy this file back to IM (/Data/), obviously using a different name as kartu wrote.
You might also want to capture and copy back the output of the MD5 command /usr/bin/md5sum $TMP_IMG

Regarding the Software versions:
One of the hacks in Hack300Update is to "tell" the PC-Software that it is installing version 1.6.00.18040, which is higher then any actually released fw-ver, and so allow flashing.
But the fw-images flashed are version 1.1.00.xxx. That way Hack300Update can be applied as often as necessary.

Holding my fingers cross that you can re-establish access to the drives.

One last thought:
For my 505 there is a difference if the reader is restarted with the USB cord already connected, or if the cord is plugged in shortly (within 1 second) after flipping the power-switch.
With the later method the drives will show up more reliable.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #18
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
greenclaws,

could you please try to save content of your /opt0 and /opt1 folders. (one of them contains "confidential" per device ID, so don't share them in public) Just copy them over to internal memory (/Data).

There is a small partition used for saving settings (also by PRS+). It could explain why your problem persists despite firmware installs (it doesn't get overwritten as far as I remember), but it gets flushed when you reset firmware. Mm....

Quote:
It struck me as odd as the only successful firmware version I'd put on it is the one through Hack 300 Updater so it should have matched the 'New software version'
That's not a problem, hack updater fakes the version string, to avoid "your firmware is newer" problem.

Mark,

I think rootfs part should be compatible. (there are people who used this route, they would have problems otherwise). But it was long ago, so maybe they were replacing root, and I just don't remember... :S

here are dumps for 300 that I have.
18160 is the standard US firmware.
24180 is probably UK, I don't remember it anymore (and didn't leave a comment,silly me)

If this isn't enough, we should ask VictorSG, I recall he had dumps of pretty much everything related to Sony Readers.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #19
greenclaws

Hi Kartu and Mark, is there a special program to allow me to get into these system only folders? At the moment, if I can get access to the drives again, I can only see the contents of what you say is the /data/ folder as I am a complete noob

I also worry about using any more of your times on this unless you are enjoying the problem-solving puzzle, as in the end I can always recycle this reader and buy another second hand (and hope that doesn't die too haha). Myself though I see it as a project as I don't like to see a piece of technology go to waste if there's a hope of saving it.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #20
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Hi greenclaws,

lets try a last shot, if you can get access to the readers drive again.

I did a quick file compare of Rootfs for 300/505 -and kartu is right, they are almost identical. Beside of 4 files (*.lnk doesn't count)
  • lib\modules\2.4.17_n12\kernel\drivers\usb\g_file_s torage.o
  • lib\modules\2.4.17_n12\kernel\drivers\usb\s1r72v17 _udc.o
  • lib\modules\2.4.17_n12\kernel\fs\fat\fat.o
  • lib\modules\2.4.17_n12\kernel\fs\vfat\vfat.o
Though filesystem related, they shouldn't be the problem.

Please (re)download the PRS+2.0.18 installer for PRS-300 and extract it into a folder.

Download attached file "installer greenclaws.txt" rename it to "installer.js" and replace the one in "PRSPInstaller/Sony Reader/software

Copy the folder /PRSPInstaller/ to the IM of your reader, disconnect USB.
PRS+ Installer Menu should pop up.

Modifications in the script are commented with "greenclaws"

Script should now accept 505th fw-version string.

The function initTools will copy /opt0 and /opt1 into a folder /greenclaws in IM.

initTools is called before reboot or backup and of course flashFSK.

I would suggest to try the option "7" "backup"
Then reconnect USB and try to retrieve the backup and log files from IM.

Put the folder greenclaws - containing /opt0 and /opt1 into a archive. Put it onto a filesharing server like http://www.file-upload.net/ and PM the link to kartu

Disclaimer: modification to installer.js are not tested so I can not guarantee that the script will work as intended.
Attached Files
File Type: txt installer greenclaws.txt (16.0 KB, 343 views)

Last edited by Mark Nord; 03-16-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typo
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #21
greenclaws

It has unfortunately just gone back to flicking between 'updating firmware' and 'Opening book...' until the drive light stops flashing orange when it runs out of battery (only way to turn it off).

Thank you for all your help! Looks like it's a goner

Last edited by greenclaws; 03-20-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: forgot manners
Old 03-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #22
FrankLee
FrankLee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FrankLee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FrankLee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FrankLee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FrankLee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FrankLee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FrankLee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FrankLee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FrankLee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FrankLee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FrankLee , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
My PRS300 was jammed on "reading books". The resets (hard and soft) were'nt moving it and the computer could not show the partition with the media only the instalers.

So went at it with Checkdisk

chkdsk/f

that sorted it. reader unbricked.
FrankLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:12 AM   #23
greenclaws

Hi Frank Lee, thanks for your reply

The drive itself isn't corrupted, it's something else we haven't even figured out yet. Running chkdsk on it was one of the first things I did and it always shows the drive as being fine, when I can access the drive at all. Something's off either with the firmware or a piece of hardware inside the machine has frazzled and only occasionally works.

You are a lucky charm though because when I booted up my pc this morning I have access to the drives on my ereader, I will follow Mark's instructions above.

Tags
brick, firmware, opening book, prs-300