Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #21541
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Uzi or Kalashnikov. Nothing less will do. Well, OK... an Ingram in a pinch.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #21542
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Love hiking poles
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #21543
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
I've had one of these for years and it's great for all except the really big spiders we get down here. For them you need a broom and a garbage bin.
We've got two of those, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. When we moved into our current house it had been standing empty for six months and there were a couple of spiders in residence that were too big to fit in one of these traps. I made my own out of a sawn in half two litre Pepsi bottle duck taped to a stick...

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #21544
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

Stitchawl
hehehe... when my Dad and Uncle were growing up, my Grandfather was the engineer in charge of the construction of Route 66 (yes, the one of infamy). in the summertimes they would go with the construction crews. they stayed in sod shacks along the way. in the heat of the afternoon they would go lay down in the cool of the shacks. my Grandmother would get furious with them because they would shoot at the rodents that would run along the insides of the burlap lining the walls and ceiling scattering dirt everywhere
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #21545
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:

Stitchawl
My sister got the best system for getting rid of bug: she screams very loudly and get my father to get rid of them. She doesn't mind spiders but she's scared of anything that flies and isn't a butterfly (bees, wasps, bumblebees, moths).
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #21546
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Every bug I find at home gets 2D-fied i.e. flattened, except those I can corner in fireproof environment like shower, bathroom walls etc.
These meet a spray can with a lighter...
I take no prisoners.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #21547
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
hehehe... when my Dad and Uncle were growing up, my Grandfather was the engineer in charge of the construction of Route 66 (yes, the one of infamy).
Having grown up with the TV series, when I was 23 I rode Rt.66 from St. Louis to L.A. (We skipped the Chicago to St.Louis section figuring it to be too developed.) We didn't have the same sort of adventures that Martin Milner and George Maharis had, but it was a great ride... despite getting thrown in jail in TucumcarI, New Mexico for a couple of hours until the Judge could be found to fine us for supposedly speeding.

Quote:
my Grandmother would get furious with them because they would shoot at the rodents that would run along the insides of the burlap lining the walls and ceiling scattering dirt everywhere
Sometimes Grandmothers can take all the joy out of things... How else do you get rid of cockroaches on the wall?

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 12-05-2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Edited to add the 'I'
Old 12-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #21548
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
My sister got the best system for getting rid of bug: she screams very loudly and get my father to get rid of them.
It's possible I was married to your sister for a while...

Stitchawl
Old 12-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #21549
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Having grown up with the TV series, when I was 23 I rode Rt.66 from St. Louis to L.A. (We skipped the Chicago to St.Louis section figuring it to be too developed.) We didn't have the same sort of adventures that Martin Milner and George Maharis had, but it was a great ride... despite getting thrown in jail in Tucumcar, New Mexico for a couple of hours until the Judge could be found to fine us for supposedly speeding.

Sometimes Grandmothers can take all the joy out of things... How else do you get rid of cockroaches on the wall?

Stitchawl
haha! that's where my Dad was born! TucumcarI! and my Grandfather did all of the New Mexico stretch. he and my Grandmother met as she would drive Mule Teams in the summer when she wasn't in college, her father had the contract to run all of the mule teams
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #21550
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post

Why do spiders feel the need to bungee/spider silk jump right in front of my face? Usually they aren't even big spiders (tonight a small daddy-long-legs) but it always gives me a near heart attack.
You do know that Daddy-long-legs aren't spiders? Count the legs - six! Real name is the Crane Fly. There, don't you feel better now?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #21551
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
You do know that Daddy-long-legs aren't spiders? Count the legs - six! Real name is the Crane Fly. There, don't you feel better now?
Another case of being separated by a common language. In the US, "daddy long-legs" is usually used for harvestmen. Which have eight legs, but aren't spiders.

But in this case, it must be being used for a cellar spider, since harvestmen don't have silk.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:25 AM   #21552
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Another case of being separated by a common language.
Could be. I just assumed that because Rumpelteazer is in Europe, it would be the same daddy-long-legs. My daughters hate them as much as spiders (the Crane Fly, I mean). For some reason, they seem to evoke the same visceral response.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #21553
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Another case of being separated by a common language. In the US, "daddy long-legs" is usually used for harvestmen. Which have eight legs, but aren't spiders.

But in this case, it must be being used for a cellar spider, since harvestmen don't have silk.
Quote:
Could be. I just assumed that because Rumpelteazer is in Europe, it would be the same daddy-long-legs. My daughters hate them as much as spiders (the Crane Fly, I mean). For some reason, they seem to evoke the same visceral response.
We call them "hay wagons" in Dutch. They have a body the size of the head of a pin and long, thing legs. There used to be colonies of them (or similar looking spiders) on the outside of our vacation home, especially on the side of the house that was always in the shadow.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:57 AM   #21554
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Time for some popcorn after doing this paper
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:03 AM   #21555
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
Time for some popcorn after doing this paper
That doesn't sound like a rant. That sounds like a great idea. If only it wasn't a fasting day....

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness