Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-11-2022, 11:52 AM   #1
jbernardo
jbernardo began at the beginning.

Device: Android
[Metadata Source Plugin] Comicvine

This plugin allows the download of metadata for Comicbooks from the Comicvine database. It was originally developed by chewt0y and is now maintained by me, jbernardo

Check out the code on Github - and feel free to open issues if needed.

Main Features of Comicvine metadata plugin
Downloads comics metadata from Comicvine, either by searching for the title or directly accessing the comicvine identifier.

Special Notes:
  • Requires Calibre V6 or later
  • For previous Calibre versions, check Github and chewt0y's thread
  • Important - you'll need a Comicvine api_key, or you'll be subject to extreme throttling by Comicvine, as everyone will be using the same key.

Command Line Interface(CLI)

Starting with calibre v0.9.23, calibre offers a command-line interface (CLI) for calling plugins.

This plugin supports that option and allows the user to call the plugin's basic functionality from outside calibre without having to install Python or get the plugin's files separately.

Details:
Spoiler:
calibre-debug -r Comicvine [t:title] [a:author] [i:type:id]
t - title of the comic you want to search
a - author's name
i - one of comicvine or comicvine-volume, followed by the numerical id

examples:
calibre-debug -r Comicvine t:'The Invisibles #15' a:'Grant Morrison'

calibre-debug -r Comicvine i:comicvine:41736

calibre-debug -r Comicvine t:'Batman #12' i:comicvine-volume:42721

Installation Notes:
Download the attached zip file and install the plugin as described in the Introduction to plugins thread.
Note that this is not a GUI plugin so it is not intended/cannot be added to context menus/toolbars etc.
Configure your Comicvine api_key using the plugin settings.

Version History:
Spoiler:
version 0.14.2 - Spaces removed from API key, fixes 401 error. Source cleanup.
version 0.14.1 - first release for Calibre 6. Some internal validation added to the title search function.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Comicvine.zip (17.9 KB, 9435 views)

Last edited by jbernardo; 10-09-2023 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Added release zip
jbernardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:54 AM   #2
jbernardo

Second post, reserved for test versions and announcements.
Advert
Old 08-23-2022, 03:20 PM   #3
akkariim
akkariim began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
First time the plugin works for me!! Great job to you both for the update and to the previous creator. This makes it much easier for people who have a large number of Comics/Mangas to work. Thanks again
akkariim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 07:55 AM   #4
iridius
Connoisseur
iridius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone (to get Dell Streak & iPad)
ComicVine ID not being imported/extracted from CBZ/CBR files

I made a custom column to show the Comicvine ID, I also have it showing in book details. However, I only see comicvine ID on books that I use Calibre to get the metadata from ComicVine.

Most of my comics have metadata including the comicvine ID already embedded (from ComicRack or ComicTagger) but when I import them to Calibre I don't see the ComicVine ID, is there a way to get that data from the metadata already in the files without having to redownload within Calibre?
iridius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 03:05 AM   #5
jbernardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridius View Post
I made a custom column to show the Comicvine ID, I also have it showing in book details. However, I only see comicvine ID on books that I use Calibre to get the metadata from ComicVine.

Most of my comics have metadata including the comicvine ID already embedded (from ComicRack or ComicTagger) but when I import them to Calibre I don't see the ComicVine ID, is there a way to get that data from the metadata already in the files without having to redownload within Calibre?
Somehow I only see this almost one year later... Sorry. This is more to do with calibre itself, but I think the plugin Embed Comic Metadata should do what you need.
Advert
Old 03-29-2024, 03:49 AM   #6
jeanmichel
jeanmichel began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello,

Is it possible to add options to add the year of the volume and/or the Volume Id to the calibre series names ?

This way it will be possible to automatically separate the multiple series that have identical names.

The year is not enough as there are still duplicate cases with the volume name and the year.

The volume id solve the unicity problem but doesn't permit to sort the series chronologically.

So, having the possibility to automatically name the series "volumename (year) (volumeid)" would be a great plus.
jeanmichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 03:19 AM   #7
jeanmichel
jeanmichel began at the beginning.

Device: none
As of now, I have created a fork of the above plugin and unconditionnally change the content of the series field.

When I have a little more time, I will check how the plugin parameters are working and add parameters to make this conditionnally.
jeanmichel is offline   Reply With Quote