Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
bookp
Connoisseur
bookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Sony PRS-T3
Thumbs down Can't root/un-root/use SD Rescue/boot into Recovery Console

I have the feeling my Reader is totally bricked, so I opened a new threat because I need all the help I can get.
  1. I can't delete any books, I can't delete/format the READER partition or its files from within the Reader itself or Windows. I can't add new files. When I disconnect the Reader, all new files (books, mp3s etc.) are gone and replaced by old files.
  2. I can't root or un-root using porkupan's or rupor's root/rescue packages. The Reader seems to be unrooted at the moment.
  3. SD Rescue won't help. porkupan's SD Rescue package does something (flashing SD slot light) but no change after white bar and forced reset reboot. uboot's SD Rescue package as of now won't start.
  4. I can't boot into Recovery Mode. I press Home + Menu until the black bar reaches 100%. But then the bar turns white whether or not I release the buttons. After a while, it slowly fills again and when it reaches 100%, Sony Home Menu loads. Windows doesn't show any driver message.
  5. Forgot to mention: Factory Reset doesn't change anything. It pretends to do something, but when it's done and reboots, all settings, books etc. remain.

Do you think this Reader can be repaired?
Firmware 1.0.04.12210

Last edited by bookp; 06-01-2012 at 11:35 AM.
bookp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
rdijkmans
rdijkmans began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
According to the Rooting Procedure on the Wiki: Completely formatting the READER partition using the eReader's builtin format function (See settings) might solve issues where the update package is not being recognized or the update simply isn't started.

This worked for me after having the same issues as you describe under 2, 3, 4 an 5! In the end, I just used the standard Sony Firmware to unroot and then (re)rooted with Rupor's Root Package.

Last edited by rdijkmans; 06-08-2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: additional information added
rdijkmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
bookp
Connoisseur
bookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavens

Built in format has no effect. The original firmware can not be flashed because it has already been flashed. The installer checks if versions match, then exits.

What's strange that after any reboot everything has been reset to a certain date. Books, all settings, pages etc. Deleted Books magically reappear.

Could that have something to do with Titanium Backup which I tried for a short time? I remember the app telling me that superuser had wrong access rights, and offered an automatic fix. I let it do that.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
rdijkmans
rdijkmans began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
I run Titanium Backup on the device as well, without any problem. I got the same message about superuser and fixed it too.

I'm wondering what you're trying to say with "built in format has no effect". Are you telling that even after the built in format everything restores to the former state, or doesn't it format at all?

You telling that "everything has been reset to a certain date" sounds like you may have a tool running that automatically restores whatever you do back to the former state. Can you find out what date that was and learn something from files with the same date on what app might actually trigger this behavior?
rdijkmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
bookp
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdijkmans View Post
I'm wondering what you're trying to say with "built in format has no effect". Are you telling that even after the built in format everything restores to the former state, or doesn't it format at all?
The built in format takes a few seconds, then the Home Screen appears with all books still there. If I format from within Windows, the partition seems to be empty, successfully formatted. I can copy files onto it until it is full. But as soon as the Reader gets disconnected from the PC, all old books are still there. There is no delay. You can read them. All new files never show up. When I connect the device with Windows again, the old partition shows up as if the formatting didn't happen, with no trace of any of the new files (undelete programs won't find anything).

I can delete all books using the Reader's delete function, and they disappear, but they reappear after a reboot. After a reboot, everything is restored to 05/25/12.

I didn't use any unusual apps as far as I can remember. Maybe I used SD rescue in the hope of fixing the battery drain bug.
Advert
Old 09-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I have the same problem - and also tried EVERYTHING!!! :-(((
Noting worked for me....

Did you solve the problem?
Please help.:he lp:
salines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:22 AM   #7
bbarou
bbarou began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1, Boox Nova3
Same problem here.

It seems to be stuck somewhere in 2014.
Anything written or deleted on/from internal memory is reset on boot. restore doesn't work, un-root doesn't work, upgrade to new firmware neither.

I had the same problem with an SD card once, looks like internal memory is toast.

I'll try to re-partition it but my hopes aren't high.
bbarou is offline   Reply With Quote