Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
squeaky
squeaky began at the beginning.

Device: none
epub and the public library

I'm trying to decide which ereader to get. I found the Sony Daily Edition interesting because I could get books from the public library. But when I checked my library, the offerings were paltry and old. Forget semi-recent fiction and non-fiction. Are your hometown libraries any better off than mine? I even checked the New York Public library and couldn't find any obvious (meaning after 6 or 7 clicks and a search, I got nowhere) references to ebooks.

So I remain on the fence on this e-book purchase.

Thanks.

Last edited by squeaky; 12-29-2009 at 12:05 AM.
squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
You can read library books on all Sony devices, not just the Daily Edition, FYI.

Check out our wiki on ebook lending libraries here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

And also, you can search which libraries offer ebooks at the Sony site here:
http://sonysearch.overdrive.com/?in_...ibraryFinder_1

Hope this helps! I know NYPL has a huge selection of ebooks, I wish I could use it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
If you are not near a large city, you may indeed find a poor selection of ebooks from your local library. Fortunately, many large cities allow folks in neighboring areas to get library cards from the City as well. For example in California, if you have a California ID card, you can get a library card from cities like San Jose that have large ebook collections; and in Washington, you can get a Seattle City library card if you live in King County and certain neighboring towns. As Lilac Jive mentions, go to the overdrive site and see which libraries around you have larger ebook collections.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
squeaky
squeaky began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks, all. I've checked into one of the links (overdrive link didn't work) and libraries listed within it. Currently, for me, I don't think downloading ebooks from the public library is the selling point I hoped it would be.

Again, thanks.
squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaky View Post
Thanks, all. I've checked into one of the links (overdrive link didn't work) and libraries listed within it. Currently, for me, I don't think downloading ebooks from the public library is the selling point I hoped it would be.

Again, thanks.
But, you can request books from your library and they may very well purchase some for you. I have access to a smallish library system and they purchased a few eBooks that I did request.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert