Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Buying books from Barnes & Noble US website

I am in the UK and have a Simple Touch.

Somtimes the Barnes & Noble US website has a particular ebook cheaper than the NOOK UK website.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't use my UK credit card to purchase it from Barnes & Noble's website rather than NOOK UK ?

...I tried asking their support but they have trouble understanding my simple question !
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
They probably won't accept your UK credit card, but if they do, go ahead!
Try it and see if it works!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
I am in the UK and have a Simple Touch.

Somtimes the Barnes & Noble US website has a particular ebook cheaper than the NOOK UK website.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't use my UK credit card to purchase it from Barnes & Noble's website rather than NOOK UK ?

...I tried asking their support but they have trouble understanding my simple question !
The UK and US website have different Nook libraries (tested this with my own account), so you will have to sideload the books you buy from the US website.

You can use your PC to buy ebooks from the US website:
1. Use a different e-mail address to create an US B&N account (using the same e-mail address will probably work, but in case B&N finds out you are circumventing geo-restrictions it would be better to use a different e-mail addres).
2. Register this US account with an US shipping and billing address. Any valid address will do, just Google something. The billing address is not checked, so your UK credit card will work fine.
3. Install an US VPN on your PC to get an US IP-address. Hotspot Shield is a free US VPN (great if you just want to test this). Other cheap ones are AlwaysVPN and Tunnel Bear.

To buy ebooks using your PC first start the VPN. When the VPN is active go to the bn.com website and buy the books.
You can download the books from the B&N website, or use Nook for PC to download them.
Then use the USB cable to copy the books to your Nook.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Thanks for the replies guys.

At last I got B&N to understand what I am asking.

They of course said no;

"Unfortunately it is not possible to use the US website if you have a UK registered account. The two site are completely seperated. This is due to publishers copyright issues. Publishers and authots decide in which country a book is for sale, and for which minimum price. Therefore we cannot allow purchases from one server to the other"

Strange then that I can login to the US website with my UK details ?

I have purchased one or two books from other US company websites using my UK c.c. with no problems ?

.....so I guess I mustn't try this on B&N's website........................?

Last edited by mXb; 08-21-2013 at 03:48 AM.
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
The UK and US website have different Nook libraries (tested this with my own account), so you will have to sideload the books you buy from the US website.

You can use your PC to buy ebooks from the US website:
1. Use a different e-mail address to create an US B&N account (using the same e-mail address will probably work, but in case B&N finds out you are circumventing geo-restrictions it would be better to use a different e-mail addres).
2. Register this US account with an US shipping and billing address. Any valid address will do, just Google something. The billing address is not checked, so your UK credit card will work fine.
3. Install an US VPN on your PC to get an US IP-address. Hotspot Shield is a free US VPN (great if you just want to test this). Other cheap ones are AlwaysVPN and Tunnel Bear.

To buy ebooks using your PC first start the VPN. When the VPN is active go to the bn.com website and buy the books.
You can download the books from the B&N website, or use Nook for PC to download them.
Then use the USB cable to copy the books to your Nook.
Basically everything above is what I do. I use a US address, my Aussie Credit Card and a VPN(strangely the VPN is only required for charged books if the book is free they don't IP check). One note I will make is that if you are circumventing GEO restrictions then you must set your books free and back them up, you should not rely on the suppliers cloud to hold your books as one day they may remove your access.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
Katy Did
Katy Did began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook STG
Quote:
On this one, try and choose a state that doesn't charge sales tax! (Oregon is a good one. At first I chose Washington as my alternate residence - not so good...)

Quote:
I've never really bothered with the VPN and haven't had a problem so far (some 30 books or so later!). Probably a good idea to be on the safe side, though.

OP, just bear in mind that you may get charged a conversion fee by your bank which pushes up the cost of the books.
Katy Did is offline   Reply With Quote