Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-31-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
questions

Hi, I get problems when setting the device.

1. I try to lock the sensor on the left side. So I go to the 'personal perference', and only the 'lock left sensors' is checked. But after saving, the left sensor still works. How to do it?

2. In 'power management', I think I can set the 'suspend timeout' according to the manual. However, I can not see it in the menu. I confirm the firmware is 1.6 from the about menu. So how to set the 'suspend time'?

3. After opening a PDF, I can make notes on it, which is good. However, has anybody noticed that when making the notes, the color of your drawing is very light, like gray and only if you fresh the screen once, then the color becomes dark black. Why?

Thanks very much if you can help me.
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
1. you have to open the menu and activate the lock by selecting 'sensors'
2. you do not have that option in firmware 1.6
3. no idea
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by yingwu View Post
2. In 'power management', I think I can set the 'suspend timeout' according to the manual. However, I can not see it in the menu. I confirm the firmware is 1.6 from the about menu. So how to set the 'suspend time'?
You used to be able to set it in a previous firmware. But, when they made some improvements to the suspend mode for 1.6 the timeout setting went away. I don't know if it was on purpose, or an oversight. The documentation still talks about being able to set it, so I'm guessing that the lack of an option anymore was unintentional. We'll see if they fix that in the 1.7 release when it's out.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
thomega
Connoisseur
thomega began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
H3. After opening a PDF, I can make notes on it, which is good. However, has anybody noticed that when making the notes, the color of your drawing is very light, like gray and only if you fresh the screen once, then the color becomes dark black. Why?
I like this behaviour because it makes it easy to distinguish old and new notes (as long as one hasn't refreshed the screen). I don't know if this is intentional.
thomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
UtterInanity
UtterInanity is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505, iRex DR1000S
Contrary to popular belief, it is in fact still possible to set both the hibernate time and the suspend time to whatever value you want. It's just not a menu item. You have to plug the DR1000S into your computer and edit the dr1000.ini file in the System directory. You're looking for the lines that say:
/apps/er/sys/power/sec_suspend=10
/apps/er/sys/power/min_hibernate=60

Please note that I haven't actually tested this, so it could be completely wrong.
UtterInanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks folks a lot. I have been to know this device for several months before buying it. I mean I had thought I know it well, but now I think there is still a way to go.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
What's the use changing the values if one can't observe any changes in the functioning of the device? Nor is there any improvement in the battery life (at least not any noticable).
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Hi, I get problems when setting the device.

1. I try to lock the sensor on the left side. So I go to the 'personal perference', and only the 'lock left sensors' is checked. But after saving, the left sensor still works. How to do it?
You should open a trouble ticket about that if the problem persists. I found iRex to be very helpful and responsive about solutions to problems, and not every issue is an automatic "send it back" kind of problem.

Quote:
You can't do it from the menu, but you shouldn't need to. Mine immediately wakes up from the suspend with no problems. Being able to set the hibernate function to a longer period would be nice, however.

Quote:
3. After opening a PDF, I can make notes on it, which is good. However, has anybody noticed that when making the notes, the color of your drawing is very light, like gray and only if you fresh the screen once, then the color becomes dark black. Why?
I think that has to do with how e-ink functions. You aren't refreshing the screen when you draw a line on it, so it doesn't produce as much "black ink" as a refresh would. But that's just my guess.

Thanks very much if you can help me.[/QUOTE]

And I hope I've been helpful.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
yingwu
Addict

Quote:
You should open a trouble ticket about that if the problem persists. I found iRex to be very helpful and responsive about solutions to problems, and not every issue is an automatic "send it back" kind of problem.
First of all, thanks very much which is very helpful. For above quote, I have find the way. It is not a hardware failure.

Everything is fine now. Just it takes a long time to open a file sometimes and The contrast of the screen is light.

By the way, does anybody use dictionary? Any recommend now? I found two in the forum, but any better?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtterInanity View Post
Contrary to popular belief, it is in fact still possible to set both the hibernate time and the suspend time to whatever value you want. It's just not a menu item. You have to plug the DR1000S into your computer and edit the dr1000.ini file in the System directory. You're looking for the lines that say:
/apps/er/sys/power/sec_suspend=10
/apps/er/sys/power/min_hibernate=60

Please note that I haven't actually tested this, so it could be completely wrong.
I've seen other users say that if they change the sec_suspend, that the next time they restart it will automatically go back to 10 again. So it doesn't seem to like anything other than 10.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

The R1.6 firmware seems to limit the value between 3 (sysd) and 10 (erconftool). (But I have not tried myself.)
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #12
yingwu
Addict

The point is that I don't know how to see whether the DR is in sleep-mode.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #13
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Aha, like the light in the fridge, is it really off when you close it?

I am not sure what triggers the suspend mode, no more user-actions (buttons, stylus) or no more screen-updates. In the first case it should be possible to write a program that keeps on updating something, which would then stop after 10 seconds and continue agains when using keys or stylus.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #14
yingwu
Addict

Hehe, good idea. You know when I read the manual, it says there is a symbol like 'zZz' appearing in the right bottom of the screen, but now, there is none because of the upgrade of the firmware. But anyway, it is OK.

I think it will be great if the time can display on the status bar. Is there any way to do this? Otherwise, I need to put down my DR and look for my watch. O, God, I don't know where my watch is again!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
I think it will be great if the time can display on the status bar. Is there any way to do this? Otherwise, I need to put down my DR and look for my watch. O, God, I don't know where my watch is again!!!
That's been asked before. It would require constant refreshes to the screen (it takes almost a second to refresh each time) in order to keep the time accurate, which would totally kill your battery life. Even if you don't display seconds, just minutes, it would still require a lot of extra refreshes that wouldn't normally be necessary.

The whole idea behind eInk is that you can put something on the screen, leave it alone, and the display won't draw any more power. Obviously page turns are important, but the more things you start throwing into the UI that require screen updates, the worse you kill the battery life. That kind of defeats the point of eInk from a power savings perspective.

I think finding your watch would be a better option.