Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
What cover do you have and how is it holding up?

I've had my standard (non-lighted) Sony cover for about a year and a half.

I really like that the Sony cover adds very little weight or bulk when carrying the reader in my handbag. However, a couple of months ago the spine started coming unglued. I fixed it with super glue but it's coming apart again. Also, the corners of the front cover are fraying.

I'm thinking of getting a different cover but don't want to get something else that will fall apart. Any recommendations or warnings?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
alvina
Connoisseur
alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I'd definitely get an original Sony cover again. The cover with light is a bit different, it weights more, and the spine is different. I like the spine of the cover without light more to tell the truth. But the cover without light has other disadvantages, for example: It doesn't have light.

In Europe you can get the cover without light for 20 Euros in some stores, have a look at Ebay. Maybe you can save a bit.

You can keep your old cover and use it for outdoor use or for a vacation. I have serveral Sony covers now, some are not that nice anymore, but that's normal if you use your Reader on a daily basis, I think.
alvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:01 AM   #3
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
I've also had my Sony non-lighted T1 cover for a year and a bit.

The spine's been fine. The material in the corners is opening up a little, but not fraying yet. There are a couple of small indentations on the outside where it has obviously pressed against something pointy, but that's fine and it clearly saved the screen
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I was pretty disappointed to say the least when I bought the Sony lighted cover online I expected far better quality for £50 it's holding up fine though and I do like the single AAA battery powering the light that's about all I like mind you.

Would I buy one again, no not at Sonys prices £50 for a plastic? faux leather look cover, I've bought real leather ones for a tablet for around £10 of far higher quality, Sony just completely rip you off with their accessories.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It sounds like other people's Sony brand covers are holding up better than mine. I wonder if I'm harder on mine somehow.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Talking Cheapo ....

For us in UK, if you simply want a soft cover for (so far anyway) any x350/650 on, including the latest, you can do a lot worse than popping into your local "Poundland" !
In their (kind of) technology section, amongst the stylus packs, computer/phone leads and stuff, you'll find some great neoprene covers, in two sizes, the smaller of which fits all Sony readers so far, with a litle flap, and some jazzy colours as well as black.
For a quid, very hard to beat, and they've served me well over the years.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
4691mls
Wizard

I hadn't thought to look at a dollar store (I assume Poundland is the UK equivalent). I don't have one close by, but if I happen to go to the other side of town where there is a store, I'll check it out.

Covers I've seen in stores like Office Depot or Staples are usually for Kindle or Nook so they're not the right size for a T1. I might order a Gecko case.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I hadn't thought to look at a dollar store (I assume Poundland is the UK equivalent). I don't have one close by, but if I happen to go to the other side of town where there is a store, I'll check it out.
More like a $1.60 store!

Chris
Old 10-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #9
alvina
Connoisseur
alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

I'd never use any other cover than those from the Sony engineers. Especially when you read with your Sony Reader for two or three hours per day. The Sony covers are designed to enhance your reading experience perfectly.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:26 AM   #10
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvina View Post
I'd never use any other cover than those from the Sony engineers. Especially when you read with your Sony Reader for two or three hours per day. The Sony covers are designed to enhance your reading experience perfectly.
I wouldn't go that far they don't even stay closed, offers basicly no protection whatsoever apart from maybe dust if your lucky that day and it stays closed.
Sony cover is completely pointless in my opinion apart from the light if anything it makes the device worse to use at least the third party ones use magnets and other tricks to keep the thing closed and folded back.

I'd say get a third party one unless you really want the AAA battery light which I do think is a good thing, all depends how cheap you can get it, quality wise I'd say its' only worth about £10 at best.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #11
alvina
Connoisseur

A Sony Cover for a Sony Reader is not just protecting your Reader. It's there to give you a better feeling and more comfort while holding the deveice in your hands.

And Sony is doing an excellent job with this. At least I like it and several other people like that, too. If you don't like the Sony Cover: no problem. Nobody is forcing you to buy one.

I have to admit that these covers are expensive. But I think they're well done in general.

Old Sony Reader T2:

New Sony Reader T3:

Last edited by alvina; 10-07-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
A Sony Cover for a Sony Reader is not just protecting your Reader. It's there to give you a better feeling and more comfort while holding the deveice in your hands.
Uh, I've got a lot of Sony Readers, but have to say that the covers do not give me a better or more comfortable feeling while holding them.

They are all more comfortable without any cover at all. So if they designed it for more, then they missed it with me.

The only reason I have the covers at all is to keep the screen from taking a direct hit and shattering. Or keeping keys or something sharp I've missed in my purse from rubbing the screens. (Although, you have to put them in with the opening up and spine down in a purse, or stuff will still get between the cover and the screen and ride up, which can leave scratches.)

And the covers are way too expensive. But they're all too expensive, so it's not just Sony gouging money that way.

One of the things that had me going with the new Kobo Aura (beside the fact Sony doesn't want to sell me a T3) is that the new cover looks thin and cheap on the video reviews. I can only see the spine ripping quickly as they're used. That's a lot of money for a cheap looking case.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
If you don't like the Sony Cover: no problem. Nobody is forcing you to buy one.
Except effectively you are forced to buy a Sony-branded case for the T3, because it comes bundled.

The T3's non-appearance in the US market might make this a moot point, but I wonder if Sony's effective inclusion of a flap/case with the T3 basically kills off any third party case opportunities?
Old 10-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #14
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
One of the things that had me going with the new Kobo Aura (beside the fact Sony doesn't want to sell me a T3) is that the new cover looks thin and cheap on the video reviews. I can only see the spine ripping quickly as they're used. That's a lot of money for a cheap looking case.
Can you share any links to reviews showing the Aura Sleepcover? I've not found any yet - my Google powers must be weak :-(

Incidentally you should compare the Aura side by side with the Aura HD. The HD screen is a lot clearer. But the Kobo sub-forum is elsewhere...
Old 10-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My mother and mother-in-law both have the T1 light cover from Sony and both covers are holding up just fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote