Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 01:38 AM   #331
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needlehawk View Post
Since the series info was only in the metadata.opf file
As explained by kiwidude the metadata.opf file is only used for database recovery in the event of a corrupt or lost database.

Quote:
I assumed that Calibre only changes the .opf file in the EPUB itself when I send/backup the file. Is this not true?
This is true. The content.opf file in the ePub is only updated by calibre when a book is exported from calibre. Send to device and Save to disk are two examples of books being exported from calibre. When these features are used the metadata in the epub being exported is updated by the data in calibre's database (retained in the metadata.db file) as it is exported from calibre.

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what does the "update metadata" option do?
The update metadata function updates the content.opf file in the ePub with the metadata from calibre's database without the book actually being exported from calibre's library.

Quote:
I thought that it probably merged the metadata.opf files and content.opf files. Is that not true?
No it is not true. It is easy to understand how you might assume this to be the case until someone like kiwidude tells you that this is not the case. Since kiwidude already explained that this file is for database recovery only ......

I hope this helped.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #332
Needlehawk
Needlehawk began at the beginning.

Device: Present - Nook Color/Future - Nexus 7
Thanks DoctorOhh. That gives me the piece of info I didn't have (the existence of the metadata.db file). It sounds like the "update metadata" alone may do what I thought I needed multiple steps to do.

Thanks again for the info, kiwidude and DoctorOhh. I've got a much clearer picture what is going on with the metadata now.
Needlehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #333
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Can you use this Plug In to insert a blank line between paragraphs?

I refer particularly to using an Epub for a Sony 650, where I need to convert Epub to Epub in order to tick the 'insert blank line between paragraphs'.

(I've done a thread search on this, using the direct term and variations, and nothing came up. So ooops if this has been covered in this thread already)
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #334
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@lynx-lynx - not there is no such option nor will there ever be. The "correct" way to handle spacing between paragraphs is to adjust the margin for the paragraph style, which you can do in Sigil.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:25 AM   #335
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Thanks for the info Kiwi Dude
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #336
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
I have the problem that the Jacket inserted with the plugin or calibre itself, look different on the reader.
When you use Sigil or the build in reader of calibre you see a kind of "sticker" with a nice line around the book title, author etc. and then the description.
But when I load the book into ADE or one of my Sony readers ( 650, T1,T2 ) the layout is gone, title and author etc are just lined up on the left side and then divided by a small line, the description follows.
It is all correct, but I like the layout that the build in reader of calibre shows.
This is not the plugin that does wrong, because output of calibre or the plugin are the same, only the sony just don't show the framework around the Title.
Does anyone know a way to change the layout of the jacket page so it looks like the same on the Sony as it does in Calibre's build in reader ?
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #337
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
kiwidude, I found this on the net and I don't know if you are aware of it...

Quote:
According to various reports on the internet, the "modify epub" plug-in is malware. It phones home and it tracks your reading habits.
The problem is that the thread that message is part of has since been deleted. The person who wrote it has "IT" friends who told her that it's maleware and that it steals credit card numbers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #338
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@JSWolf, no I wasn't aware of it, and no prizes for guessing who the tosser is that is trying to create such a rumour after they showed themselves up for being a public jerk a week or two ago in the forums before leaving. He threatened to try to tell his Facebook friends to not download any of my plugins as his "threat", no doubt he realised the folly of that when he remembered he didn't have any.

If anyone spots any crap like this out there on the web, please report it to the relevant mods and get that prick banned from whatever forum it is. None of my plugins have the slightest bit of malware in them as can easily be verified by looking at the code (which many, many people have done as they use my plugins as the basis for their own code). It is just trash talk by someone who got their tits in a tangle over not figuring out how something works, and chose to throw offensive insults and threats around rather than politely ask for help.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #339
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@JSWolf, no I wasn't aware of it, and no prizes for guessing who the tosser is that is trying to create such a rumour after they showed themselves up for being a public jerk a week or two ago in the forums before leaving. He threatened to try to tell his Facebook friends to not download any of my plugins as his "threat", no doubt he realised the folly of that when he remembered he didn't have any.

If anyone spots any crap like this out there on the web, please report it to the relevant mods and get that prick banned from whatever forum it is. None of my plugins have the slightest bit of malware in them as can easily be verified by looking at the code (which many, many people have done as they use my plugins as the basis for their own code). It is just trash talk by someone who got their tits in a tangle over not figuring out how something works, and chose to throw offensive insults and threats around rather than politely ask for help.
The thread was on replacing generic covers with proper covers and someone suggested your plugin. Someone else piped up saying that Modify ePub phones home with your reading information and says her IT friends online someplace said it contains maleware. I know it's a load of rubbish. But she was having none of that. The moderators deleted these posts from the thread as they were off-topic. But if I see anything like this again, I'll take better notes and let you know ASAP.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:22 AM   #340
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To bad this is happening @kiwidude, I don't know which war is behind it,get the feeling that I don't want to know it, and I don't want to look inside the code because I have only one thing in mind: TRUST .
Why do you want to ruin yourself by putting strange code inside ? There is only one Sigil ( hope there comes an adroid version sometimes ) and your plugins are trustful, I have yesterday put in some search strings of the text into Google and it gives no results, so I hope that the damage will be zero, you don't deserve this.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #341
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Nick - thx, and yeah there really is nothing more to it than what I said above - a loser with a dreadful aggressive attitude who couldn't figure out how to click on a checkbox on this plugin and went on a series of attacks about it rather than just ask for help. He got in a huff as his progressively worse posts got deleted by the admins and then left MobileRead AFAIK. Given what he posted at the time I am 99.99% sure it is the same person trying to stir crap up elsewhere.

As I said above, if anyone catches a sniff of nonsense posts around the web like JSWolf was kind enough to bring to my attention, then please just report those posts to the admins of that forum yourselves and request that the user be banned for slander. By all means if necessary point them towards the posts above for the background or maybe even contact PDurrant as the MobileRead admin who dealt with this nonsense a few weeks ago. Getting their IP banned from those sites and hopefully even someone that stupid will realise that they are only hurting themselves by continuing on with it.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #342
Nick_1964
Bookworm

@Kiwidude, If I find anything I will do whatever needed, I am dislectic and have only one year english lessons, sometimes I don't understand things, but most of the time I figure it out, or I ask help here and NO ONE ever denied me help.
If I find something, I will tell it in a private message, because I find it "dangerous" for your reputation to put it in public in the forum, there are always people thinking "where is smoke,there is fire".
You do good work, and don't deserve it that people talk like that about you, I know for sure that all donations will never pay the real work you did, so you do it for the community, for all of us.
You have no commercial goal, people should be grateful.
English is not my native language and as I said, I don't understand everything, so be it, a challenge ( like the sticker probs in the jacket ) and sometimes it can do no harm to say, okay I stop,leave it, but don't blame that on the maker and I hope the people wo done it will read this : This is not the way to communicate or handle with people that wants to help, show some respect !

Last edited by Nick_1964; 01-04-2013 at 05:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #343
Barb-B
Tech appreciator
Barb-B began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Kepler Pro (wow I love this reader!)
Latest mods to plugin

Kiwidude - I suppose I may not be the only person who suggested it, but I was thrilled to see your latest modification, allowing a command line method to use the plugin tools without adding a book to Calibre library. Thanks SO much!

I only found it because I came looking for the url to give someone I wanted to point here. I'll be sure to recommend a contribution as well...
Barb-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #344
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Barb-B - I am glad you spotted that feature, you are the first to comment on it. I knew there were people out there who would have a use for it...
Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #345
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
@Kiwidude: The version of FBreader on my PocketBook Touch (and probably also on other readers) has a bug as a result of which all paragraphs of ePubs are centered by default (i.e. if there is no text-align setting in the stylesheet telling FBreader otherwise). A simple workaround is to include something like "body { text-align: justify }" in the stylesheet. But to do that in all of my ePubs manually is a lot of work. Is this something that you could include as an option in the Modify ePub plugin? Thanks!
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modify epub