Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-12-2012, 02:24 AM   #1
nelson7lim
Connoisseur
nelson7lim began at the beginning.

Device: nook
can nook reads ebooks from amazon?

i am looking to get a nook, but i am curious if nook can read ebooks that are bought from amazon.
nelson7lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:28 AM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Short answer. No. Not legally.

Long answer. Yes, legally, IF you buy DRM free books (no official way to tell which are DRM free unless it says so in the description) and convert them using a 3rd party tool like Calibre.

Longer Answer. There are methods which I've not tried and are against the forum rules to discuss (see the "not legally" comment on line one)

In summary, it really depends on your technical literacy and willingness to do things that are technically not legal, though perfectly moral in my opinion.

(legality may vary by country)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

thank you for the reply. i will dig more and find out about it.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson7lim View Post
i am looking to get a nook, but i am curious if nook can read ebooks that are bought from amazon.
One way to read ebooks from Amazon is to root the nook and get a kindle app.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
moyogi2
ereader apprentice guru
moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-T1, Sony 300 (so far)
Google Apprentice Alf for help, and use Calibre to convert. I have Kindles, Sony, and Kobo in the house, and my books come mostly from Amazon.
moyogi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

so with calibre, ebooks bought from amazon can be converted to epub?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
With calibre and the tools-that-cannot-be-mentioned at Apprentice Alf's.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #8
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson7lim View Post
so with calibre, ebooks bought from amazon can be converted to epub?
Calibre can convert .mobi to .epub (and a whole slew of other formats back and forth), if the source file is not encrypted. Most of the ebooks that Amazon sells are encrypted (and there's apparently not way to tell before you buy it any more). From a technical standpoint, removing encryption is trivially easy, but - and this is a big but - it is, at best, of questionable legality in the US, and clearly illegal in many countries (criminal in some), so discussion of how to do so it against the rules here (and any other web site that isn't looking for trouble). There's enough clues in this thread to track down more information if you want it, though.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #9
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

i just went to have a look at apprentice alf's.

do i have to use both calibre and apprentice alf's? or can i just choose one?
Old 05-13-2012, 01:47 AM   #10
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Calibre is an ebook management and converter program. If you want to convert a book from Amazon's format to ePub, you need calibre.

If the book you buy from Amazon is not encrypted (DRM free), calibre is all you need.

If you buy books with encryption (DRM), and you make the choice to circumvent that (which is more than likely illegal where you are, although the ethics of it are debatable when chosen for personal use), you need the additional tools from Apprentice Alf.

All the tools will do is remove the DRM, but it'll leave you with the book in the same format you started with.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 05-13-2012 at 02:19 AM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote